Why Gujarat 'Banned' Parzania

King

Why Gujarat 'Banned' Parzania One man's diktat is the last word: even Narendra Modi acquiesces ...... J.S. Bandukwala | e-mail | one page format | feedback: send - read | A Parsi family lost their only son in the mob frenzy at the Gulbarg Society in 2002. They had taken refuge in the home of a prominent leader, Ehsan Jaffri, confident they would be safe near this ex-parliamentarian. But the mob was after Jaffri's blood. Even the police commissioner refused to intervene. Appeals for his protection made to the highest levels in New Delhi drew a blank. Jaffri died a tortuous death. Scores perished. In the commotion that followed, the Parsi child got separated from his family and has not been traced since. For the past five years, the family has waited for their son to return. Rahul Dholakia, an NRI film director and scion of an eminent Gujarati family, was so moved by this tragedy that he made a film, Parzania, based on it. He hoped its screening would help locate the child. But Dholakia had not reckoned on Babu Bajrangi?the principal accused in the Naroda Patiya case where more than a hundred people were butchered. In the moral vacuum of post-Godhra Gujarat, Bajrangi largely decides how Gujaratis should live their lives. In the last few years, he has concentrated on two projects? to kidnap Hindu girls who marry non-Hindus and compel them to divorce their husbands. His other passion is to bash up intimate couples on college campuses or gardens. Police sympathies are very much with Bajrangi. He is praised for upholding caste, religious and female purity. Even the all-powerful Narendra Modi bows to Bajrangi's social dictates. Unfortunately for Dholakia and the Parsi family, Bajrangi decided Parzania would hurt the image of Gujarat, and therefore, must not be screened. In typical godfather style, he made an offer to theatre owners which they dared not disobey. Not a single theatre was ready to screen the movie. The Baroda PUCL decided to screen it on its own. But here too, friends pointed out the likely damage to projector and hall would be too much for a cash-strapped body of activists. What has happened to Gujarat that a character like Bajrangi can be elevated to the status of a demi-god? Oddly, 50 years ago, the American civil rights leader, Martin Luther King, while flying from Delhi to Ahmedabad, told reporters, "I came to India as a tourist. But I go to Ahmedabad as a pilgrim." Such a comment would be laughable today. No one associates Gujarat with Gandhi. In fact, Gujarat and communal madness are two sides of the same coin. It's the only state where the government machinery took an active part in the butchery of its minority community. Then, was Gandhi an accident in Gujarat? In truth, the answer is yes. It's the greatness of the Mahatma that he could rise above the prejudices of his own people, to such iconic heights. Gujarat is an economic powerhouse. Its people are dynamic and forward-looking when it comes to economic matters. But on social indices, it is most backward. The male-female imbalance is among the highest in the country. Bride-burning is rampant, to the extent that many communities insist on marrying a brother-sister pair to another sister-brother pair, to prevent such horrors. Similarly shocking is the treatment of Dalits and tribals?the small improvements in their lives are only because of the fear they will cross over to Christianity. The economically impoverished and socially weak are discouraged to assert their rights. It may even be dangerous. Hence, unlike Maharashtra or Tamil Nadu, no social revolution has ever occurred here. Gandhi's impact was much greater outside Gujarat. There is almost no remorse for the killing of the innocents in the riots. The justification is that Muslims had to be taught a lesson. The example of Godhra and of Kashmiri Pandits is frequently highlighted. Just last month, Jayaben Shah, a prominent Gandhian of Rajkot, came out with a blistering attack on the Muslims.She was upset with the Sachar report. Her response would make the RSS proud. Surprisingly, communalism is the most apparent in the upper strata of society. And the VHP and Bajrang Dal have their strongest support among Gujaratis settled in the US. In contrast, the lower you go down the social strata, lesser the communal hatred. This indicates that factors like wealth and education may actually be contributing to the hatred of the minorities. What role can liberal human rights activists play? I'm convinced there is little we can do within the state beyond helping to educate Muslims, Dalits and tribals. Meanwhile, we must learn to ignore Bajrangi and the forces he represents, or better still, learn to laugh at them. My suggestion is simple: Ahmedabad and Gujarat are too small for the vast talents of Bajrangi. The BJP would find his special tactics and abilities invaluable at the national level. (A physics professor at the Baroda University, Dr Bandukwala's house was destroyed in the '02 riots.)

Re: Why Gujarat 'Banned' Parzania Who is Bajrangi? Any ideas? We have a lot of people living here from Gujrat and most come across as very nice people Didn't know they could be voilent and fanatic about religion, conduct et al

Re: Why Gujarat 'Banned' Parzania Got the answer, just typed Bajarani and the first article describes the man and his deeds. :shrug: This man comes across as brutal and psycho. Terror returns to Ahmedabad area as main riot accused returns By Indo-Asian News Service Ahmedabad, Jan 11 (IANS) Fear has returned to Naroda-Patia, the neighbourhood that witnessed terrible killings in Gujarat two years ago, with the main accused Babu Bajarangi reportedly getting his job back with the local municipality. According to some residents in predominantly Muslim Naroda Patia area of eastern Ahmedabad, where Bajarangi allegedly led a mob that burnt 85 people alive on February 28, 2002, Bajarangi was seen on the main road, strutting about with his supporters. "We have decided to leave this area for good. People of our neighbouring localities will never let us live in peace," Abu Mian, one of the victims of the violence at Naroda-Patia, told IANS. "My children were scared dead at the sight of Bajarangi roaming about in open. They (children) have not eaten anything since yesterday morning," said Bano Bibi, one of the eyewitnesses to the gruesome murder of Kausar Bano. Kausan Bano, nine-month pregnant, was raped and allegedly murdered by Bajarangi on the day when Naroda-Patia was attacked. Bajarangi, whose real name is Ratilal Rathod, was employed as a bus driver with the Congress party-controlled Ahmedabad Municipal Transport Service (AMTS). After a complaint was lodged against him, his services were terminated in May 2002 following a hue and cry at the AMTS board meeting over the issue of keeping an alleged murderer on its rolls. But the same Congress-run AMTS reinstated Bajarangi last week. Bajarangi is learnt to have given an application to the civic body demanding his job back on the grounds that the charges of murder against him had not been proved. During the hearing by the Nanavati Commision inquiring into the riots, at least 10 women identified Bajarangi as the main accused. After he was released on bail for want of evidence in October 2002, Bajarangi turned his suspension from AMTS into a communal issue. When contacted Natwarlal Patel, chairman of the municipal transport committee, pleaded ignorance about the issue. "When we looked into the issue, we discovered that two other drivers, who are Muslims and accused of similar crimes, were still working with us," deputy municipal commissioner T.G. Zhalawadia was quoted as saying. "The matter is sub judice and the three are yet to be convicted. We will be in a position to take action only if they are found guilty," Zhalawadia added.

Re: Why Gujarat 'Banned' Parzania I don't really know Rajeev, I quite like the website outlookindia.com where Srinath writes columns. I just read this article there and posted it here. I was a bit surprised the hindus in some parts aren't as peace loving as I thought they were. I will get this movie and have a look when it comes out.

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Why Gujarat 'Banned' Parzania I have no idea who this Bajrangi guy is but going through the article I sense the underlying theme of how vile people of gujarat in general are. (1) bride burning rampant ( gross exaggeration I would say we in bihar have claim to the fame) (2) Male feamel imabalnce is among highest in the country .{ does anyone get what this line means. for the data in public domain in terms of literacy imbalance my state is at the top, in terms of shear number of sex-ratio haryana is at the top. In terms of crime against women Rajastha is at the top. Even in terms of women's freedom since Gujarat state kind of rules the roost in unmarried women going for abortion so u could say they are pretty liberated there. not a good sign of liberation but liberation nonetheless. So God knows what professor saheb means. To me this line sounds illogical. I can understand prof saheb has lost his house in riot and is bitter so can be excused for going over board.} (3) treatment of dali: now here professor gave his real colour away. Tribals are the happiest lot in Gujarat, among their counterparts all over country. All the vanvasi literacy and welfare program of rss and its offshot orginates from gujarat. yes they have school for tribals in places where govt of India doesn't even reach. recently Shabri Kumbh fair was organized where tribals from all over indian assembled in gujarat to celebrate their culture and faith. these things have revived these poor folks faiht in the age-old beleif system they had and now they are no more a sitting duck for the over tures of christian proselytizers. So expect the diatribe by this lobby. Just google shobri kumbh and see how it's painted as end of the world by christian lobby. he talks about tribal dalit and muslim well to me this phrase gave away hsi congressi color. This is the group congress is targeting and fidning ti next to timpoosibleto have any headway among tribals and dalits. people are not fool they know what these folks have delivered in 50 years. It just baffles me their audacity to talk about how tribals are laing behidn totally oblivious of the fact that what it tells about their 4-5 decade of uninterruted rule. YEs did some googling on this guy bajrangihe sounds like your typical moral plice but I won't read too muc into how he has sway over Modi. Heck Modi doesn't listen to advani/Vajpayee why wud he isten to this no name guy. Talking of why Parzania was banned by "gujaratis not gujarat". There is subtle but very important difference. I am yet to see this movie but from the brouhaha i gathered behind the main story line it has the underlying theme of how vile gujaratis are and how narendra modi sponsored that train burning so that he could go on rampage. Yes the theme from likes of alibi which started doing rounds from very next day of the tragedy coming from numeorus jehadi outfit. Exactly the same thing what this writer would like people to believe viz a viz Gujarat. I can understand people being bitter after losing their house or near and dear ones in riots but to let that bitterness control your thought process and paint whole state as some vile place well, it's not only stupid way of looking at things but it also won't go down well with the people in general. If what i gathered about the film is right then I am not at all surprised that the movies has been shunned by Gujarati people. You just can't keep on harping this recurring theme of vile gujarat sick gujaratis ad-infintium and keep serving it in different form, from ediotorial to films and expect them take it all in their stride. This is exactly what has been happening since last four years every week these guys find someway to put news of 2002 on front page with that ever-present theme fo vile gujarat vile gujaratis. For ravi: Outlook is one pinko paper, u know the KarmBhoomi of Arundhati Roy types.

Re: Why Gujarat 'Banned' Parzania This quote i read while googling bajrangi has never been more appropriate for DR. ""Faced with the outrage that engulfed India after the Gujarat massacres, rather than take a defensive approach, Narendra Modi has aggressively introduced a potent mixture of Gujarati parochialism and Hindutva to cement his political foundations. His trick has been to construct a four-fold binary ? of the insider versus outsider, Gujarat versus Delhi, Gujarati media versus English media, and Hindu versus the ?pseudo-secularist?. Any criticism can be easily deflected by using this matrix."" Agreed no ? CC and shwetabh are branded psuedo-secularist already arent they? btw got this quote from this article, might be a bit useful if u read it. http://www.himalmag.com/2006/october/cover_story.htm

Re: Why Gujarat 'Banned' Parzania Any movie being made about the folks who got burnt in Godhra? Any movie being made about the massacre of Hindus that took place during Muslim rule? I have nothing against movies being made to show religious fanatics but why do only Hindus get this tough love treatment?

Re: Why Gujarat 'Banned' Parzania >The male-female imbalance is among the highest in the country. Bride-burning is rampant, to the extent that many communities insist on marrying a brother-sister pair to another sister-brother pair, to prevent such horrors. Similarly shocking is the treatment of Dalits and tribals?the small improvements in their lives are only because of the fear they will cross over to Christianity. The economically impoverished and socially weak are discouraged to assert their rights. It may even be dangerous. does he have any facts??

Re: Why Gujarat 'Banned' Parzania Or better still they could have sponsored an International film festival and invited films banned in Iran, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Bangladesh etc. to be shown along with this film... Tasleema Nasreen and Salman Rushdie could be invited to open the festival...

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Why Gujarat 'Banned' Parzania

This quote i read while googling bajrangi has never been more appropriate for DR. ""Faced with the outrage that engulfed India after the Gujarat massacres, rather than take a defensive approach, Narendra Modi has aggressively introduced a potent mixture of Gujarati parochialism and Hindutva to cement his political foundations. His trick has been to construct a four-fold binary ? of the insider versus outsider, Gujarat versus Delhi, Gujarati media versus English media, and Hindu versus the ?pseudo-secularist?. Any criticism can be easily deflected by using this matrix."" Agreed no ? CC and shwetabh are branded psuedo-secularist already arent they? btw got this quote from this article, might be a bit useful if u read it. http://www.himalmag.com/2006/october/cover_story.htm
I hope u see the branding of same for DR.. or is it kind of oke:-) Just go have a cursory look at how these psec writers paint whole state of gujarat.. it's not modi it's these arm-chair critic who have defined this division, being a politician he is reapign rewards , only a moron politician won't do this if given on platter... Yes do check the meaning of ad-hominem .. when i criticise I give the rational so have that bare minimum courtesy else u know what they say about opinions every one has got one like ar$ehole.. :wtg: BTW have u noticed how u got nothign to say on all the issues raised becasue to put it plainly those are facts whihc can't be wished away by editorial writing.......next time if u msut comment make an effort to educate urself little otherwise it sounds like vacuuous posturing.....

Guest dada_rocks

The film was a true story' date=' nothing in my mind that didnt seem offensive[/quote'] What is true story : Modi orchetsreted train burning is it true story .. well let the court and arm-chair editorial writers knowthe evidence whihc u have they might use it in court of law.. till now they have been reduced to pennign long meandering diatribe and has got nothign to nail vile Modi down.. u will do an yeoman's job ......... And please for heaven's sake don't try to pedle opinon of xyz as fact..... :wtg:

Guest dada_rocks

Having said all this I think it is silly of the Gujarat govt to BAN the movie... They should have let it screen... but passed on the Cost of any extra security to the Film producers and theater owners...
See Birbal u too are the vicitm of tripe seriving media. U think Gujarat govt banned the movie but fact is they have not , actually gujaratis are up against it, no cinema hall owner is willing to incur their wrath..... there is a big difference..... it;s not like laloo having private sceenign of ganagjal and then giving his clean chit, modi would not be bothered about these little things ..

Guest dada_rocks

Or better still they could have sponsored an International film festival and invited films banned in Iran, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Bangladesh etc. to be shown along with this film... Tasleema Nasreen and Salman Rushdie could be invited to open the festival...
Yes that would hae ben betetr but to say that Gujarat govt banend movie is at best wrong information........I am sure Narendra Modi and his police is far too busy than to provide these self-loathers some ego massage. if they are so worried about movie screening they better stop this colective vilification of whole state in guise of serving art and true story......

Re: Why Gujarat 'Banned' Parzania Gujarat was never a state which could boast of communal harmony. Even when I was working in Baroda a while back (much before the Modi days), riots between Hindus and Muslims were common. This was both in Baroda and in the neighboring ahmedabad. That said, most parts are peaceful. It is the main city area where there are a zillion shops which has a gazillion muslims that were riot prone. What is even more despicable in my opinion is the situation in Karnataka where the state govt refuses to abide by the Supreme court decision to let water to Tamil Nadu and if things get tense you will find kannadigas locating tamilians and hitting them. My uncle who lives in Bangalore told me once that he needs to be able to speak perfect kannada and get off as a kannadiga if he has to avoid getting hit during these water related tense times. This was a while back and I am not sure if the situation has improved since.