What will you do?

kabira

Re: What will you do? I don't believe I would ever move back. I miss my family--I never grew up with anyone (!) -- even my cousins are like strangers to me--we just get along cause we have to. And that is a strong reason that pulls me towards India. But, I like to think in realistic terms. If I were to live there--what would I experience? There is too much deceit, inefficiency in institutions, and day-to-day hardships that exist. No traffic rules, the filthyness (I'm a neat freak BTW), etc. etc. would just get to me. Living in India (without losing your mind) is an art. And I don't care to learn it.

Re: What will you do?

Hmm, there are have been tons who went back. Unless one didn't lead a very comfortable life back home and is mesmerized by the foreign culture Some just come for the fun of it, and go back Frankly, every situation is different and there is no perfect answer to this but it's very possible to settle back..dunno why one is so surprised
Yeah - leave the comfort of the USA for open sewers, irresistible heat, dust, dirt, disease, smog and poor hygiene, irregular water and electricity, corruption, bickering family members, poverty, crappy wages, sh*tty public transport, paan stains and bidis all over the place, cows strolling leisurely wherever they please, mounds of bullsh*t every 5 metres, and some of the most vile people you are ever likely to come across. Yeah....so easy !! Sorry, but i couldn't do it. I guess experiences vary. I like lots of things about India (i have visited Delhi 3 times in the last 5 years) but for some reason i could never ever live there. Those were the things that come to mind when i first think of India...the good stuff follows, and then i see them being outweighed by the negatives.
Experiences vary, those are th 1st list of things you do consider if you wan t to move back But if you affording to live in a posh locality and lot of those thing can be ignored Irony, I used to give the same reasons earlier but have changed my mind in many ways All things considered, it might be easier said than done...I might catch the next flight back

If you are 21 years old and want to make something of yourself, you have no place in India. If you ever go to New Delhi, just take a trip to Kasturba Gandhi Marg (it's next to Connaught Place) and walk into the British Council, the American center, etc. and see the number of young kids who are there - inquiring about the procedure to apply to a US univ, requesting all sorts of forms, test dates, costs of prep courses, etc. Go to the US Embassy in Chanakya Puri and see the lines which stretch for MILES on end - most are all students (and dodgy Punjabis) waiting for their visa. What do you think is going through their heads ?
I thought you lived in the UK, Pred?
I'm a New Yorker, m8
You find that in every city, when I spoke to a few....in ( British, US and Aussie ) consulates; it was pretty simple Got refused for US, try Canada..if refused , try Australia Some go for serious stuyding, some for fun, scholarships and so on. Even after staying here for some time, don't you find people missing India a lot ( but the wages stop them from going back )

Maybe South India isn't that bad. All the bidi and betel juice stuff is mainly in the cow belt. North Bihar & UP are no doubt hell on earth. You see those specimens carrying rifles in the streets and wonder what world they live in.
Actually it is not that way at all Dhondy. In my opinion Bihar and UP and quintessential India to live and experience. Sure there are law and order(and myriad other problems) but have you wondered why Biharis(and UPites) are the lot that have a very good return-to-home ratio? The hard hitting truth, atleast the way I have seen, is that the "prosperous" and "peaceful" states of Andhra/Gujarat/Maharashtra/Punjab/Tamil Nadu etc. are also the home of people who are most likely to jump ship and stay in the West. Go around and you will see what I am saying. I must say that one of the things I greatly love about Bihar/UP is how people from these states abhor regionalism, specially when they come to US/UK. How many times have you seen a Tamil society in London? Heck where I live there are 3 or more societies for Telugu based on God knows what. Now when was the last time you saw a Bihari society boss? Or a UP one? There is something very earthy about Indian cowbelt, atleast to me it is. You may see/hear Indians sceptical to move about within India. Tamils hate to come to Delhi, Haryanvis hate to settle down in Kerela. Biharis dont have such problem. Neccessity is a mother of all inventions and all but at the end of the day if there is citizen of one state that has braved all the lack of law and order in his state(and outside) it has to be Biharis. Yep we are a crazy lot! :jive: :jive: xxx

Re: What will you do? Great thread. India is not a place for young, well qualified, ambitious and yet unsettled folks to live, inspite of the IT & the BPO booms. OTOH, if u have lived abroad long enuff & made enuff money to simply live off your wealth for the rest of your life, going back to India is not a bad proposition at all. Financial freedom, is the key in India. If u have that, life in India is ENTIRELY different. Life in the US is not perfectly rosy either. California, which is the fifth largest economy in the world, has, perhaps the lousiest schools in the planet. Add to it the old, dinky old homes, that u need to settle for, for the millions u can dish out. With your wife working and kid in day care, with no house maid to help ur family out, u are in a permanent rat race -- always living to work. I can perfectly understand, why families would want to move back, esp, given that the job market for IT folks, are comparable. If u are leaving the US, however, make sure u leave the doors open for a come back. Get your US citizenship before u leave. U dont wanna postpone anything wrt US immigration, u never know how quickly things will change here.

Re: What will you do? I don't contemplate these things. Life happens and people end up moving to places they didn't think they would or could. I certainly never 'planned' on living in Italy/Switzerland/Middle east/UK/Canada- neither did my parents plan for that. As it stands now, me and my brother will live in Canada/North America while our parents will retire in India ( few more years to go). So we'd be going back and forth anyways. Whether i move back or not in the future, it depends on if i get married, what i want at that stage in life, what my wife wants, etc etc. All i know is that India's atmosphere more than makes up for the lack of infrastructure and pollution and if i can live without any problem in middle east, i can live anywhere in the world - it'd just take a few months to adjust. who knows what is gonna happen in future and where i am gonna be.

Re: What will you do? No I won' move back :hic: My biggest fear is race/religious riots in Europe and having to pack my bags :eew: In situations like that the EU passport/citizenship won't mean anything. I left India almost 20 years ago as a teenager. From a young age I had the feeling that I would be leaving India. My mindset was not Indian enough and I always stood out like a sore thumb. Now after marrying a gori Spanish chic I doubt I would ever move back. Mind you my wife is obsessed with India and would love to move to India :wtg: Obviously she does not understand that she will get lot of aggro from local lafengais :hic: My parents are thinking of moving back but I hope they don't. Since I left India I have been back only ONCE :eew:

Guest dada_rocks

Maybe South India isn't that bad. All the bidi and betel juice stuff is mainly in the cow belt. North Bihar & UP are no doubt hell on earth. You see those specimens carrying rifles in the streets and wonder what world they live in.
Actually it is not that way at all Dhondy. In my opinion Bihar and UP and quintessential India to live and experience. Sure there are law and order(and myriad other problems) but have you wondered why Biharis(and UPites) are the lot that have a very good return-to-home ratio? The hard hitting truth, atleast the way I have seen, is that the "prosperous" and "peaceful" states of Andhra/Gujarat/Maharashtra/Punjab/Tamil Nadu etc. are also the home of people who are most likely to jump ship and stay in the West. Go around and you will see what I am saying. I must say that one of the things I greatly love about Bihar/UP is how people from these states abhor regionalism, specially when they come to US/UK. How many times have you seen a Tamil society in London? Heck where I live there are 3 or more societies for Telugu based on God knows what. Now when was the last time you saw a Bihari society boss? Or a UP one? There is something very earthy about Indian cowbelt, atleast to me it is. You may see/hear Indians sceptical to move about within India. Tamils hate to come to Delhi, Haryanvis hate to settle down in Kerela. Biharis dont have such problem. Neccessity is a mother of all inventions and all but at the end of the day if there is citizen of one state that has braved all the lack of law and order in his state(and outside) it has to be Biharis. Yep we are a crazy lot! :jive: :jive: xxx
:wtg: :wtg: :wtg:

Guest dada_rocks

I don't contemplate these things. Life happens and people end up moving to places they didn't think they would or could. I certainly never 'planned' on living in Italy/Switzerland/Middle east/UK/Canada- neither did my parents plan for that. As it stands now, me and my brother will live in Canada/North America while our parents will retire in India ( few more years to go). So we'd be going back and forth anyways. Whether i move back or not in the future, it depends on if i get married, what i want at that stage in life, what my wife wants, etc etc. All i know is that India's atmosphere more than makes up for the lack of infrastructure and pollution and if i can live without any problem in middle east, i can live anywhere in the world - it'd just take a few months to adjust. who knows what is gonna happen in future and where i am gonna be.
Practical answer :wtg:

Heck where I live there are 3 or more societies for Telugu based on God knows what. Now when was the last time you saw a Bihari society boss? Or a UP one? xxx
That is because all the Bihariyas and UP waale drive rickshaws and sell paan for a living ! Before someone gets offended, keep in mind that I myself am of Bihari descent, BTW.

Re: What will you do? Well..things have changed a lot in India over the years. I have spent almost equal time in the last 6-7 years between US and Bangalore...my perspective of life in India is very positive.Lifestlyle wise it was not much different from here...bad traffic,roads yes but there are many positives too-family,much greater career prospects and way better social life. Atleast in IT where I guess most of us work,the action has indeed shifted to India. There are scores of ppl who are making the decision to move back every day....India is not US and probably never will be but it has number of positives to offer.I lived in an excellent locality ...no issues with water,electricity etc...you can definitely live a comfortable life in India. In the end its a personal choice and despite the many negatives there are several positives too....which btw is same about the west too.

Re: What will you do? One thing i'd like to add is that the argument about facilities and infrastructure may seem strong on the surface but it really isn't. I'd lived outside of India since i was 5 years old ( all 5 in Delhi till that point) and didn't move back to India till i was 12 (grade 8) and stayed till i was 15 ( grade 10). I lived that whole period in Kolkata - which trust me, makes Mumbai/Delhi/Bangalore look like paradise. Before i moved, i was living in Switzerland- super clean,super efficient country to a point where you think its a doll house and not reality. Had a lot of problems with pollution, inefficiency, corruption, the neighbourhood politics and all that nonsense but after a year or so, i adjusted and when time came to say goodbye to India again when i was 15, it was not easy. Human comforts are not necessities, they are perks. As long as you got food in your belly, roof over your head and loved ones are safe, its all good. Everything beyond that- is a bonus. Its all about connecting with the people, with the land and with the culture of where you live. Human interactions then end up trumping materlialistic goals and while people who have never had any materialistic luxuries or are new to the club (neuveu-rich) tend to put money over all, i've been priviledged enough not to be concerned over money- and as such, it isn't as bad a trade as many make it seem like. Overall, i'd say with India improving, its definitely a possibility and i don't rule out moving to a place like Thailand or Japan, where culturally it is close to India as well as physically.

Heck where I live there are 3 or more societies for Telugu based on God knows what. Now when was the last time you saw a Bihari society boss? Or a UP one? xxx
That is because all the Bihariyas and UP waale drive rickshaws and sell paan for a living ! Before someone gets offended, keep in mind that I myself am of Bihari descent, BTW.
I agree with Lurker though - despite all the problems in Bihar, Biharis are not very image-concious ( particularly from the south i've seen are very image concious- too many southies i've seen try to see any real or perceived slight towards the south at the drop of a hat) and its one of their enviable qualities.

Re: What will you do? im 20, spent the first 18 years of my life in bombay. left india after 12th grade. parents and brother are also in bombay. living alone,in a faakin village and it sux. ALL my friends are in bombay, i know bombay like the back of my hand. at uni here in the states, but go back to bombay 3 times a year :hic: i am not sure on what ill do after i graduate, finding it really hard to get a full time for an international student, coz i dont have a green card. and i dont want to do masters immediately too, so i guess ill work. if i get a decent job here, great, otherwise will have to go back

i am not sure on what ill do after i graduate, finding it really hard to get a full time for an international student, coz i dont have a green card.
What program are you in ? If you have anything to do with technology and engineering, don't worry- the US companies will bend over backwards for you.

Poverty is one of the reasons people return to India! How about this? this came in one of the newspapers: Poverty is one of the reasons people return to India! India's burgeoning economy is the main driver of reverse migration, poverty is also playing a role. In a country where almost 750 million of its 1.1 billion people live below the World Bank's definition of poverty, labor is so cheap that even working-class families hire domestic help, whom they still call servants, to do the daily chores that keep famalies in foreign countries occupied most evenings. Many returnees, especially those with children, say this is one of the most attractive personal reasons for reverse-migrating from the United States where the costs and demands of child care, education, and managing after-school activities are spiraling. Family ties are another driver.