What will you do?

kabira

Re: What will you do?

i am not sure on what ill do after i graduate' date=' finding it really hard to get a full time for an international student, coz i dont have a green card. [/quote'] What program are you in ? If you have anything to do with technology and engineering, don't worry- the US companies will bend over backwards for you.
computer engineering, 1 of the top 5 . still, hardly anything for international students.

What program are you in ? If you have anything to do with technology and engineering, don't worry- the US companies will bend over backwards for you.
computer engineering, 1 of the top 5 . still, hardly anything for international students.
Dude don't worry. Computer Engineering may be a bit of a prob (entire computer industry is a prob- too many people did computers here in the 90s and too many comp grads around but thats mostly in programming, not hardwares) but trust me- you will find an employee who'll sponsor you for a greencard should you graduate from computer engineering with good grades. The US has shortage of skilled engineers and workers. You will find it hard to get work as an international student but finding job and green card when you graduate will not be a prob.

Re: Poverty is one of the reasons people return to India!

How about this? this came in one of the newspapers: Poverty is one of the reasons people return to India! India's burgeoning economy is the main driver of reverse migration, poverty is also playing a role. In a country where almost 750 million of its 1.1 billion people live below the World Bank's definition of poverty, labor is so cheap that even working-class families hire domestic help, whom they still call servants, to do the daily chores that keep famalies in foreign countries occupied most evenings. Many returnees, especially those with children, say this is one of the most attractive personal reasons for reverse-migrating from the United States where the costs and demands of child care, education, and managing after-school activities are spiraling. Family ties are another driver.
why didn't i remember this before ? When i flew back from India just over a month ago, my taxi driver from the airport was this Sikh guy from a village near Jalandhar. He was in his mid 40s with two kids who's gonna go back to India soon. when i asked him why, he said precisely the same thing. I know for a fact that the second biggest reason my parents are going to retire in India ( family ties is the first) is that they will be able to retire in luxury in India that they couldn't in the west.

im 20, spent the first 18 years of my life in bombay. left india after 12th grade. parents and brother are also in bombay. living alone,in a faakin village and it sux. ALL my friends are in bombay, i know bombay like the back of my hand. at uni here in the states, but go back to bombay 3 times a year :hic: i am not sure on what ill do after i graduate, finding it really hard to get a full time for an international student, coz i dont have a green card. and i dont want to do masters immediately too, so i guess ill work. if i get a decent job here, great, otherwise will have to go back
What part of Bombay are you from? Quite a few Mumbaikars here. I used to live in Vile Parle (W)...still go back for a couple weeks once a year.

im 20, spent the first 18 years of my life in bombay. left india after 12th grade. parents and brother are also in bombay. living alone,in a faakin village and it sux. ALL my friends are in bombay, i know bombay like the back of my hand. at uni here in the states, but go back to bombay 3 times a year :hic: i am not sure on what ill do after i graduate, finding it really hard to get a full time for an international student, coz i dont have a green card. and i dont want to do masters immediately too, so i guess ill work. if i get a decent job here, great, otherwise will have to go back
What part of Bombay are you from? Quite a few Mumbaikars here. I used to live in Vile Parle (W)...still go back for a couple weeks once a year.
breach candy/warden road :hmph: thats where i am in between semesters :hic:

Re: What will you do? You will move back for two reasons 1) No other Choice. People who missed their GCs, I know few such ppl..so they had no choice but to move...Pretty soon, USA will become two class society, Rich and Poor..it has to happen way things are going..so those who fell in poor class will move back. 2) By choice: Here you ahve to have strong "WHY". If you dont, you will never go back, and even if you do, you will come back.

Re: What will you do? I love india very much - but I am not going to move back However I have seen people in bay area spending some time in winter over there (India)(Oct/nov to feb/march -- less than 6 months) and rest in US - this couple has I know have been doing it for years

Heck where I live there are 3 or more societies for Telugu based on God knows what. Now when was the last time you saw a Bihari society boss? Or a UP one? xxx
That is because all the Bihariyas and UP waale drive rickshaws and sell paan for a living ! Before someone gets offended, keep in mind that I myself am of Bihari descent, BTW.
I agree with Lurker though - despite all the problems in Bihar, Biharis are not very image-concious ( particularly from the south i've seen are very image concious- too many southies i've seen try to see any real or perceived slight towards the south at the drop of a hat) and its one of their enviable qualities.
The problem I have with Northies like you is you club entire south indians as one entity. FYI , Telugu is different from Tamil. Heck , a kannadiga won't even be accepted in many Tamil groups or vice versa. So , don't make the mistake of clubbing entire South Indians as one. If Telugu opens a society , so why is a kannadiga clubbed in there . And why no mention of Bengali or Oriya club which is also present where their numbers are sizeable. What about Sindhis and their society ? You tend not to generalize on Muslims , but have convinently clubbed entire south indians as more image concious. Just Great !

Actually it is not that way at all Dhondy. In my opinion Bihar and UP and quintessential India to live and experience. Sure there are law and order(and myriad other problems) but have you wondered why Biharis(and UPites) are the lot that have a very good return-to-home ratio? The hard hitting truth, atleast the way I have seen, is that the "prosperous" and "peaceful" states of Andhra/Gujarat/Maharashtra/Punjab/Tamil Nadu etc. are also the home of people who are most likely to jump ship and stay in the West. Go around and you will see what I am saying.
I think many South Indians, Bengalees or Punjabis will have a problem with the idea of two of the most lawless provinces being described as quintessential India. I'd like to think they represent the ugly underbelly of India, with their feudalism, rampant corruption, and law of the jungle. Step into neighbouring Bengal, and you immediately notice the difference...the orderly queues, respect for women, loudmouths being challenged by the general public, yobism in public places frowned upon... it's a microcsm of India that our forefathers would have been proud of, where the rule of the law is still followed to the letter. Mostly. It's no different in Maharashtra and Punjab, where noisy street romeos disrupting public life would meet a very swift end indeed. The failure of Bihar or UP is the failure of public consciousness...I'd go as far as calling it a failure of public courage in those states. There's simply a lack of collective will to speak out against perpetrators, a sort of nudge-nudge, wink-wink ethos, where the common man thinks that everything goes. No wonder that these two states also have denizens of the most vociferous dowry-seekers. If ever a group of people came collectively close to moral bankruptcy, it is these two states. I can't imagine someone wanting to go back and settle there. The high return-home ratio, if it is indeed true, and I am not sure it is, doesn't say anything, really. I am not sure it should be seen as a virtue. It could simply be a reflection of maladjusted emigrees pining for the chaos of home. If they were genuinely home-loving, perhaps they wouldn't have succumbed to the lure of the lucre in the first place? Remember, the successful immigrant is one who acculturates seamlessly into the host society. Not all successful immigrants stay back, but certainly most failures have no choice but to repatriate.

It's no different in Maharashtra and Punjab, where noisy street romeos disrupting public life would meet a very swift end indeed.
Dunno about that....I get groped so many times walking on the crowded streets in Bombay, you can't even tell who's hands are who's...forget trying to figure out who did it.

The problem I have with Northies is they club entire south indians as one entity. FYI , Telugu is different from Tamil. Heck , a kannadiga won't even be accepted in many Tamil groups or vice versa.
See what i mean ? Southies tend to be so flipping sensetive ! I find it ironic that you said:
the problem i have with NORTHIES is that they club entire South indians as one entity.
Like- wtf mate ! you just classified us as one entire bunch and in the same breath you are griping at us for classifying you as one entire bunch !!! And yea why do you have a prob. with that ? I don't have a prob. being called northie/eastie (Wherever the hell WB may be classified). Its a geographical AND cultural monicker. I am well aware that there are differences between Tamil and Kannada and Telegu and what not. Hell, there are differences within those groups itself. But the same cultural differences are there in the north too. Ie, in short, stop being a typical sensetive southie. :hic: