Who is going to be the next Indian President?

head coach

Re: Who is going to be the next Indian President?

Radhika is quite correct. Amitabh Bacchan is hardly the man to grace the Rashtrapati Bhawan. I respect the man as a actor but as a human being he has come across a big big oppertunist. The way he has stuck with the likes of Mulayam and Amar Singh, the shameless manner in which he has projected his son(including turning up in half his films) etc have been enough to put me off. Narayan Murthy is a great choice. A thinking and articulate man who shall represent India admirably. Maybe someone like Ratan Tata. But if one has to take my opinion it should be from the Entreprenuer Arena this time. If India has to become the world power that she richly deserves she needs someone with foresight at the future, someone who can help India combat poverty and unemployment, and someone who is willing to lead India as a Corporate Governance model. This rules out pretty much all the politicians. Certainly rules out Amitabh :bum:
Lurker, I wouldnt want Narayana Moorthy or Tata as President. They will represent the country well but they should be used in a better way. This is just a ceremonial post used for ownering someone. I want to see Narayana moorthy or Ratan tata to enter mainstream Politics in the country after they retire from Private sector and have a go at running the country. They will have the vision that you talk about on taking India to the Next level...but they question how much they can attract masses. Sadly, India goes behind a leader who can attract masses like Sonia Gandhi with her rallies or Advani with his rathyathras.

I want to see Narayana moorthy or Ratan tata to enter mainstream Politics in the country after they retire from Private sector and have a go at running the country. They will have the vision that you talk about on taking India to the Next level...but they question how much they can attract masses. Sadly, India goes behind a leader who can attract masses like Sonia Gandhi with her rallies or Advani with his rathyathras.
HC, Murthy has already taken a step-back. Infosys is being run by Nandan Nilekani. Ratan Tata is on record suggesting 2012 would be his last year as Chairman. Which kind of rules him out for now but makes him a candidate next time. I suppose what I am saying is that such talents should be used and not simply be allowed to either fade away or become a high-ranking consultant at some companies. One great thing about both Murthy and Tata is that they are great patriots. You only have to watch Tata's interview to see how much he loves India. In the last interview I saw of him(at CNN-IBN) this was his comment: Rajdeep Sardesai:: Finally, what would your message be to all those young people emerging out of business schools who want to be entrepreneurs? What would be the one thing that you would tell them? Ratan Tata:: I don?t think I can tell them anything, because most of the young people have much more entrepreneurial intuition than I would ever have. Rajdeep Sardesai:: But what is that little thing that makes a good entrepreneur? What is it that you would suggest to those who are ready to set up businesses across this India? Ratan Tata:: What could I say to them? The idea has to be there, the robustness of that idea is there. The only thing I would say to them, if I could, would be: 'Don't compromise your values. Don't add to the destruction of the fabric or ethics in the country. Try to build on it and look at building a better India.' Perhaps one thing I would say to most young people: 'Have a sense of spirit for your country rather than merely for yourself.' http://news.moneycontrol.com/india/news/management/ratantatatatamotors/tatamanvaluesvi/market/stocks/article/265478/4 Must say that sent goosebumps all over me. Now would a Shekhawat, an Amitabh, a Somnath Chatterjee do that? Nah. xxxx

Perhaps one thing I would say to most young people: 'Have a sense of spirit for your country rather than merely for yourself.
Yup, that qualifies him. Or, for your employer or patients or clients, for that matter, which probably applies better to most of us. The happiest, most successful, most admirable guys are always those who think of the greater good rather than of themselves.

Lurker, thanks for the link. Atleast they are doing their part on empowering the youth to achieve excellence in every aspect of life. I have read similar interview from Naryana moorthy too. Way to go!

Perhaps one thing I would say to most young people: 'Have a sense of spirit for your country rather than merely for yourself.
Yup, that qualifies him. Or, for your employer or patients or clients, for that matter, which probably applies better to most of us. The happiest, most successful, most admirable guys are always those who think of the greater good rather than of themselves.
Dhondy I guess you are saying have a sense of spirit for country or for your employer or patients or clients not for yourselves(in otherwords not for the money you make or for your satisfaction alone?)

Re: Who is going to be the next Indian President? President is supposed to be the most powerful man of India. 1) That guy cant even take one decision of pardon by himself. 2) After you are elected the President, you intend to do something rather than just welcoming foreign counterparts

Dhondy I guess you are saying have a sense of spirit for country or for your employer or patients or clients not for yourselves(in otherwords not for the money you make or for your satisfaction alone?)
Absolutely, Head Coach. Living for yourself, your goals, your wealth alone, as most of us, including myself do, can be nice, but never rewarding. Those are just the perks. The pleasure is in doing the job as well as is humanly possible. No matter what one does for a living, that will make a difference to others.

President is supposed to be the most powerful man of India. 1) That guy cant even take one decision of pardon by himself. 2) After you are elected the President, you intend to do something rather than just welcoming foreign counterparts
The press report counters your argument: The first is the persona of Mr Kalam himself. One has to go back to the era of Rajendra Prasad, Sarvepalli Radhakrishnan and Zakir Hussein to find parallels for the niche in popular esteem and imagination that Mr Kalam has made for himself. He has been able to inspire all sections of the people, including the sceptics and cynics among them, with a vision of greatness that India can achieve as a developed and prosperous nation ahead of all the rest by 2020. In particular, he has been an irresistible draw for the younger generation whose hearts and minds he has set aglow, like no other President before, with idealism, self-pride and sense of mission. In every respect, he has emerged as the people's President, with a nationwide constituency of his own, because of his ability to rise above the trappings and structural inhibitions of an office cast within the narrow confines of largely ceremonial functions and severely circumscribed powers given to him in India's written Constitution. ." Without doubt, Mr Kalam can now be said to have acquired a high stature in the eyes of his countrymen, if not of the world. But, he has given out on a few occasions that he himself is not keen to continue for a second term. He has often expressed his preference to go back to teaching on completion of his term.

Re: Who is going to be the next Indian President? I dont care what the biased press reports say. In India the President has virtually no power and citing a block of some news column would not make any difference to the opinion. He is a good person in terms of the research he has done but his inability to counter the sea of political dramas surrounding him would make him atleast not my choice for a second term Please see that its my own point of view and I know it will be conflicting with many people here but I personally want our President to take few decisions himself rather than relying on other set of people

Re: Who is going to be the next Indian President? Kalam the best President? Wat the Fcuk has he done??? Vision 2020??? He's just another puppet in the hands of Sonia. :wall: It wud be a lot better if Narayan Murthy becomes the President...... but I don't think he'll accept it.... so expect another a$$hole to become "The President" of India.

It is so embarassing to see that bachchan name along with president Kalam's name.... This man who tries every trick in the trade to avoid giving tax(eg taking Rs 1 AS PAYMENT from friends and accepting expensive cars) Cheapster even gifted his son a car in some one elses name... Has no problem laying his hand on land meant for poor landless farmers thanks to his politician friends...... Sells hair oil ,chawan prash and mulayam singh yadav.....the biggest criminal going around.... Has the audacity to declare UP as a state with very few lawand order problem......even after the NIthari case......(how sick can people get?) The hypocrite gets a kissing scene from bahu's Dhoom 2 cut....but has no problem leering at the legs of a 17 year old on screen..... Imagine this man as your president!....
Wow! What utterly vicious spiel from Radhika! A post based on half truths and unfounded rumours! So AB is getting flak for that idiot Mulayam's crimes? Had KJ's toyboy SRK been one of the names, Radhika would have showered him with petals. :hmph: NB - I am not, for one minute, even entertaining AB's nomination for President. How about R A Mashelkar, a man who has propogated innovation and has helped India get on the IPR map thereby protecting our traditional knowledge and indigenous products(Ayurveda,Basmati etc)?

Re: Who is going to be the next Indian President? I want Kalam for a second term. But if he doesn't get it, Seshan should be the man. I dunno much about that guy but i remember when i was in highschool in India, Seshan was the elections commissioner or something and he made the system accountable and corruption-free atleast when it came to elections. I am sure, being India, there are briberies and stuff at work in many polling booths but in reality, Seshan took care of the really high level behind-the-scene corruption in elections process. In a way,he may've been the second most important contributor to India's cause ( after Manmohan Singh) in the last 15 years. It always appeared to me that Seshan had the balls to stand up to the corrupt politicians and say 'fak you'. Though ideally, i'd prefer Kalam for a second term. His emphasis on education and his profile as a renowned engineer is doing a lot to further motivate the common Indian to study sciences. Though it has its drawbacks, the increased profile of sciences in India would do a lot to enlighten the masses.

what does president of India do? Does he have power to influence anything?
The president of India is someone with the ultimate power button in his hand but it can also burn him really bad : The president, if i am not mistaken, is the only man who can dissolve the lok sabha and declare a state of emergency, thus assuming all executive power. Ie, no lok sabha = no government and dictatoral powers to the president. But there are so many places where the lok sabha overrules the President that if he wants to do this, he must play his cards right when the opportunity presents itself (if it ever does) or else he/she can be really burnt bad by the fallout. But yes, overall the President's post is ceremonial and PR. I dont think this post should be scrapped- someone has to do the stuff the President does and it cannot be the PM or else someone would have to do the PM's job for the PM while he is doing the President's job.

what does president of India do? Does he have power to influence anything?
The president of India is someone with the ultimate power button in his hand but it can also burn him really bad : The president, if i am not mistaken, is the only man who can dissolve the lok sabha and declare a state of emergency, thus assuming all executive power. Ie, no lok sabha = no government and dictatoral powers to the president. But there are so many places where the lok sabha overrules the President that if he wants to do this, he must play his cards right when the opportunity presents itself (if it ever does) or else he/she can be really burnt bad by the fallout. But yes, overall the President's post is ceremonial and PR. I dont think this post should be scrapped- someone has to do the stuff the President does and it cannot be the PM or else someone would have to do the PM's job for the PM while he is doing the President's job.
the president can dissolve the lok sabha but not assume all executive and legislative powers. he must appoint an interim prime minister who then governs the state till the lok sabha is reconvened and a no trust motion launched to validate (or vilify) the interim leader. the president of india in all capacity is merely a nominal position and he is simply there as a form of checks and balances to the lok sabha. he has the veto power over a piece of legislature though it has rarely ever been exercised and the veto power is quite abased as he can exercise it only twice on the same legislature. if he is too bombastic, he can be impeached by the lok sabha, something rajiv gandhi tried with zail singh.

Re: Who is going to be the next Indian President? i don't think Dr. Kalam would accept the second term.... Dr. Kurien would have been a good candidate..but his health would not permit him to accept this post... Dr. T.N.Sheshan...can not be the president as not many parties will support him..after getting the treatment from him when he was CEC.. Dr. AB will not even get a nomination. Dr. Murthy..is an exceptional talent and should not be wasted by giving him presidency Dr. Karan Singh is my choice...he is a very learned person... has a clean image...is an expert on foreign affairs...and popular among other parties as well.... so there are chances that our Next President will be Dr.Karan Singh... if Dr. Kalam chooses to step down.

Guest dada_rocks

It is so embarassing to see that bachchan name along with president Kalam's name.... This man who tries every trick in the trade to avoid giving tax(eg taking Rs 1 AS PAYMENT from friends and accepting expensive cars) Cheapster even gifted his son a car in some one elses name... Has no problem laying his hand on land meant for poor landless farmers thanks to his politician friends...... Sells hair oil ,chawan prash and mulayam singh yadav.....the biggest criminal going around.... Has the audacity to declare UP as a state with very few lawand order problem......even after the NIthari case......(how sick can people get?) The hypocrite gets a kissing scene from bahu's Dhoom 2 cut....but has no problem leering at the legs of a 17 year old on screen..... Imagine this man as your president!....
I hope u are aware of the fact that on gift too u end up paying tax. Gift Tax Net Taxable Gift Tax Rate Over Not Over 0 Rs.30,000 0 Rs.30,000 above 30% i wonder what will one save, this is highest tax bracket.. rest of the things can be said about anyone who supports any party ... he at least has global face.. anyway in my view after kalam murthy deserves it