Mosque near ground zero

Clarke

Plans to build a mosque two blocks away from ground zero have set off an emotional debate among area residents and relatives of victims of the September 11, 2001 terror attacks. Cordoba House project calls for a 15-story community center including a mosque, performance art center, gym, swimming pool and other public spaces. The project is a collaboration between the American Society for Muslim Advancement and the Cordoba Initiative, both of which work to improve relations with followers of the religion. Daisy Khan, executive director of the Muslim society, described her vision of a center led by Muslims, but serving the community as a whole. "It will have a real community feel, to celebrate the pluralism in the United States, as well as in the Islamic religion," Khan said. "It will also serve as a major platform for amplifying the silent voice of the majority of Muslims who have nothing to do with extremist ideologies. It will counter the extremist momentum." The need for the center is twofold, Khan said, because it will support the needs of the growing Muslim community. "The time for a center like this has come because Islam is an American religion," Khan said. "We need to take the 9/11 tragedy and turn it into something very positive." http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/05/07/new.york.ground.zero.mosque/index.html ------------------- Word is, the project's worth $100 million and its fair game to use your land as u want to. Its all good to build beautiful structures but surely the money could go to better projects to actually turn something positive. Anyways, its religion, something some of us never understood. The best part i can learn from this is that it shows how transparent and secular USA is. One can also expect the unease a victim of 9/11 could feel. Here's one argument from the NY post: "If the Japanese decided to open a cultural center across from Pearl Harbor, that would be insensitive," Sipos told me. "If the Germans opened a Bach choral society across from Auschwitz, even after all these years, that would be an insensitive setting. I have absolutely nothing against Islam. I just think: Why there?" Your thoughts ..

So the muslims people who died in the attacks should be un-named and the muslim commnados who fought for us all should hide thier faces too because it will hurt the sentiments if the majority. Good job equating terrorists from a neighbouring country with the religion of our own fellowmen. Thats exactly what they want too
Way to miss the point

Plans to build a mosque two blocks away from ground zero have set off an emotional debate among area residents and relatives of victims of the September 11, 2001 terror attacks. The need for the center is twofold, Khan said, because it will support the needs of the growing Muslim community. "The time for a center like this has come because Islam is an American religion," Khan said. "We need to take the 9/11 tragedy and turn it into something very positive." http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/05/07/new.york.ground.zero.mosque/index.html ------------------- ..
Islam is an American religion??? Am I missing something!!

Guest Gunner

This is called the kamasutra peacock feather technique, you finger someone until the point they turn around and *****slap you. Then you can turn around and accuse them of racism, phobia and what not.

This is called the kamasutra peacock feather technique' date=' you finger someone until the point they turn around and *****slap you. Then you can turn around and accuse them of racism, phobia and what not.[/quote'] :hysterical::hysterical:

This is called the kamasutra peacock feather technique' date=' you finger someone until the point they turn around and *****slap you. Then you can turn around and accuse them of racism, phobia and what not.[/quote'] :hysterical::hysterical: good one.

Guest Gunner
they are well within their rights to build a mosque. though i would not recommend it.
Exactly my view. Its not a question of right but that of sentiments.

But the sentiments of Islam is to spread as much as possible and convert as much possible. The aim of islam is to make the world islamic. Hence policies of mass mosque building (which rightly the west is waking up to in their countries) when not required and policy of lots of children.

Guest Gunner

I don't think you understood my point, it is not sentiments against islam per se but the fact that it is traumatic to people who have suffered there to see a mosque constructed in such a place. It acts as a reminder. This is precisely the reason why no temple construction has been permitted anywhere near the site of the Babri masjid. Decisions can't be always made with pure logic when it involves the masses, sometimes you do have to take public sentiment into account. No system of governance can go against that.

i think it makes sense. people forget that even muslims lost their lives in 9/11. where is the tribute to them? some of them were fine young gentlemen aspiring to be pilots - the irony.
yo paki ****er...the tribute where ever it is given is given to all the dead ..except the terrorists. Why do you think muslims among the dead need special tribute ? unless ofcourse by the fine young gentlemen you mean mo. atta and his homies...they get their tribute in af-pak region, where you seem to be posting from.

But the sentiments of Islam is to spread as much as possible and convert as much possible. The aim of islam is to make the world islamic. Hence policies of mass mosque building (which rightly the west is waking up to in their countries) when not required and policy of lots of children.
Christians like to spread and convert as well. The more hatred people show towards moderate Muslims, the more extreme ones we will create in the future, it is like adding fuel to the fire.
I don't think you understood my point, it is not sentiments against islam per se but the fact that it is traumatic to people who have suffered there to see a mosque constructed in such a place. It acts as a reminder. This is precisely the reason why no temple construction has been permitted anywhere near the site of the Babri masjid. Decisions can't be always made with pure logic when it involves the masses, sometimes you do have to take public sentiment into account. No system of governance can go against that.
Public sentiments need to be taken into account yes, but only if they are reasonable. The situation is not comparable to Babri Masjid cause religion was the main issue there, whereas terrorism is the main issue here, not Islam.