Does India Need An IIH

Birbal3

Indian Institute of Humanities... To put an Indian spin on History, Sociology, Anthropology, etc... I think after the IITs, IIMs, IIS it is time for an IIH... Amazing thing is the worlds foremost experts on Chinese history is likely to be found in Beijing but on Indian history are at Harvard, Oxford...etc...

Re: Does India Need An IIH

Indian Institute of Humanities... To put an Indian spin on History, Sociology, Anthropology, etc... I think after the IITs, IIMs, IIS it is time for an IIH... Amazing thing is the worlds foremost experts on Chinese history is likely to be found in Beijing but on Indian history are at Harvard, Oxford...etc...
India badly needs an IIH but an IIH that is free of religiously affiliated dogmatic psuedo-intellectuals.

The fact that the avg Indian prefers his history to be validated by Gora institutes rather than a desi one ....
Though SKC exists, more often than not, 'gora institutes' offer a far more researched opinion and one that follows scientific protocols as best as possible compared to desis when it comes to humanities. Most of our desi scholars today are tilted one way or another - either pro muslim or pro hindu or pro commie yadda yadda. The neutrality of the educator is largely missing in indian humanities.

Re: Does India Need An IIH Are we blaming 'gora' institutues for admirably doing something that we should have been doing....?Nobody stopped us from preserving our history. I guess instead of starting up something new in these fields it would make much more sense to spruce up many existing ones which have potential-BHU,JNU,Anna University...there are many others.

Re: Does India Need An IIH What hogwash...CC...Harvard's Indologist...the infamous Wietzel who was involved in the attempt to discredit Hindu American parent's efforts to bring accuracy and balance in California Textbooks is as BIASED an academic as you will ever see... He is a Hindu baiter of the worst kind... Also Institutions like Harvard, Oxford, etc had in the past serious professors of Anthropology who argued "scientifically" that Africans were inherently less smart than Whites...etc... This is exactly what Bheembhai is refering to when he means SKC..even our opinion about "Western" universities versus our own is BIASED... JEEZ... when will we get out of that way of thinking... A chinese acquaintance of mine confided that he was totally puzzled by Indians' attitudes...He said in China too there is awe of the West...but on a personal level... a Chinese will be more inclined to trust/help/believe/accept another Chinese...but Indians are the only ones he has found who will do the opposite and trust the outsider... Guess 1000+ years of GULAMI can't be wiped out so quickly... VS Naipaul also made the same point in his book about India's wounded Civilization...and he was SAVAGED by the Indian Intelligensia...

Harvard's Indologist...the infamous Wietzel who was involved in the attempt to discredit Hindu American parent's efforts to bring accuracy and balance in California Textbooks is as BIASED an academic as you will ever see...
Thats not my point. Obviously, in the western academia, there are many anti-Indian indologists. However, the pro-India indologists in the west are far more rational than pro-indian indologists from India who have a tendency to come up with absurd theories and make unsubstantiated and false claims - such as deciphering the ICV language.
JEEZ... when will we get out of that way of thinking...
When the quality of humanities in India improves ? As i said, i give more credibility to the western sources simply because the standard of humanities research and thinkers in India today are quite poor.

Re: Does India Need An IIH I think this whole thing about anti India league of anthropologists and historians is absolute hogwash. If you examine closely the ideas put forth by a number of these vilified individuals, most poke holes in the accepted history of india, that hindusim was an occult practice that was later upgraded to a convoluted religion of inexplicable rituals as suggested by the whole "invasion of the aryans from central asia" theory. Human genome mapping experiments puncture holes wide enough to let the holy ganges through into these theories that regretably are still taught in indian schools. the problem is that many a times hinduism which is little understood by a majority in the west is often subjected to ridicule due to some of its practices. for instance, one particular example of how ridiculously hinduism was potrayed in the california text books, which by the way were eventually edited, and no Wietzel did not suggest these phrases, infact he supported a number of the edits proposed (unfortunately for him, he resisted some other edits and thus was labeled an extremist); "King Rama and his army of monkeys crossed the sea over a bridge of stones to invade evil Ravana. Since the monkeys helped King Rama, he blessed them with many boons. See any monkeys around?" this phrase epitomized the west's lack of knowledge of our culture and quite frankly i could not be least bothered. if those who have their own religion, their own culture choose to belittle or undermine others amongst themselves, then its quite pointless protesting them. instead an emphasis should be laid on strengthening our own knowledge and awareness, and for such an endevor, an IIH would be a great idea. though prior to that i would like to see a lot many more engineering colleges with better faculty and better research. some of our engineering colleges outside the elite few are absolute compost. and even at the top universities, the research at levels higher than the undergraduate level is pathetic. we need to change this first and improve our infrastructure of primary and secondary education in rural india while constructing these IIH. Moreover, i feel engineering students tend to have a certain apathy to current affairs and the general plight of the nation, something students of history and political science are not as oblivious to.