Men rule ? at least in workplace attitudes

Lurker

Even women seem skeptical of female bosses in Elle/MSNBC.com survey While more than half our 60,000 respondents said a person's sex makes no difference to leadership abilities, most who expressed a preference said men are more likely to be effective leaders. Of male respondents, 41 percent said men are more likely to be good leaders, and 33 percent of women agreed. And three out of four women who expressed a preference said they would rather work for a man than a woman. The survey, conducted early this year, found a bonanza of stereotypes among those polled, with many using the optional comment section to label women "moody," "bitchy," "gossipy" and "emotional." The most popular term for woman, used 347 times, was "catty." Source: MSNBC survey http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17345308/ Warning bell for Hillary Clinton? Whats your personal experience - Agree or Disagree with the point that men make for better leaders at work? xxx

Re: Men rule ? at least in workplace attitudes Lurker, This is true to some extend but there are case that we should see too: Men in the workplace with children appear to move up the corporate ladder faster, something to do with the "family guy" image; women with children move slower up to higher positions, possibly because people think she will not be concentrating or able to work later. When the role seems less historically male-dominated and when the leadership requires inter-personal skills are when women most effective. You see Sex sells! (not mentioned here as an offensive statement). The reverse is true of men, example: men's advantage in military leadership. Companies with women in top jobs are seen as more modern with a commitment to equality. Best Exaample is Pepsi: And Indian woman as the top executive and chairman of board.

Re: Men rule ? at least in workplace attitudes

I agree...then again' date=' I'm self-employed right now...but I have worked for both men and women in the past and find the survey to be more or less true.[/quote'] Aditi, I remember reading an article by Nancy Reagan(wife of Ronald Reagan) once and I still remember her words even though I must have read it about 15 years back. She had said, and I paraphrase, "A man's best friend is always a man...a woman's best friend is also always a man". What is the reason behind it? Is it a case of woman somehow not getting along well with each other? I mean to an extent if you see the sibling rivalry(I generalise here and like most generalisation it can be wrong at times) between sisters is so much more than that between brothers. What do you opine? xxx

Men in the workplace with children appear to move up the corporate ladder faster, something to do with the "family guy" image; women with children move slower up to higher positions, possibly because people think she will not be concentrating or able to work later.
Fair argument there HC. Motherhood, while possibly the greatest pleasure to a woman, almost always pushes her down a few ladder in the Corporate World. But its not that guys do not make sacrifices. In my experience I have seen that guys really do make sacrifices when it comes to family. I mean there is an equal chance, if not more, today that a guy will leave at 5 pm sharp to go home to his kids. In fact I would say these days I see more woman who sacrifice family life for their work(by staying late) than guys. Again dont mean to be a sexist here, just my casual observation. xxx

Re: Men rule ? at least in workplace attitudes Few points that states the reason why men take the upperhand at workplace: *Dismissed: A woman raises an issue or makes a point at a meeting and is ignored, but when a man then restates it, everyone pays attention and addresses the issue. Women are interrupted and/or dismissed in public, in boardrooms and in general gender-mixed discussions many more times than men. *Tested: The typical scenario goes like this: "I walk in with my male associate (who happens to report to me), and it is immediately assumed that he is my boss. Not only that, but even when they figure out that I am the boss, I have to go through this boring process of being tested on whether I know my stuff, how I made it to the top, do I have the 'right' experience, etc." Everyone has experienced being "tested", but usually when a man is tested, the basis for the test is not simply because he is male. *Third Sex: After being constantly dismissed and tested, some women find themselves questioning or even changing their own authentic style and emulating those who are not dismissed and are rarely tested. For the most part, this means acting like a man. This puts a woman in a no win situation because now she is labeled a 'barracuda', 'dragon lady' or worse. This has serious implications for both men and women in the mentoring process, in how potential new female recruits view what it takes to move up the ladder, and in how both men and women perceive women in senior positions. *Excluded, Avoided: The real meeting is the one after the meeting, those famous 'relationship building' meetings, events, golf games, etc. Women feel excluded from these events and find this limits their ability to network and have mentoring opportunities where they could contribute and learn. Tokenism: Employment Equity as a concept is fine, but when it comes to improving men's and women's relationships in the workplace it has, in fact, created a wider gap. Women report continually hearing statements like "She got the job because she's a woman," or "We men are losing opportunities..."

I agree...then again' date=' I'm self-employed right now...but I have worked for both men and women in the past and find the survey to be more or less true.[/quote'] Aditi, I remember reading an article by Nancy Reagan(wife of Ronald Reagan) once and I still remember her words even though I must have read it about 15 years back. She had said, and I paraphrase, "A man's best friend is always a man...a woman's best friend is also always a man". What is the reason behind it? Is it a case of woman somehow not getting along well with each other? I mean to an extent if you see the sibling rivalry(I generalise here and like most generalisation it can be wrong at times) between sisters is so much more than that between brothers. What do you opine? xxx
What Mrs. Reagan said is absolutely true. Most of my closest friends are guys (gay and straight) and I just get along so much better with men than I do with other women. I do have a few close girlfriends, but they are "tomboys" like myself. In my case, my only sibling is a brother (we're very close) and all my first cousins are also boys...so growing up, I was just used to bieng around mostly male company pretty much all the time. That bieng said, what do you make of the Billy Crystal quote from "When Harry Met Sally": "...men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way. "

That bieng said, what do you make of the Billy Crystal quote from "When Harry Met Sally": "...men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way. "
Well I do not agree with Billy Crystal. Just as much as I did not agree with him when he made the following quote "Women need a reason to have sex, men only need a place". He could not have possibly been more wrong...specially about the women :hic: x

That bieng said, what do you make of the Billy Crystal quote from "When Harry Met Sally": "...men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way. "
Well I do not agree with Billy Crystal. Just as much as I did not agree with him when he made the following quote "Women need a reason to have sex, men only need a place". He could not have possibly been more wrong...specially about the women :hic: x

Re: Men rule ? at least in workplace attitudes Lurker, "...men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way" I think he was saying about male or female sex rather than having sex. Women need a reason to have sex, men only need a place - Well this mean Men are more proactive than women be it sex or something else :hic:

I think he was saying about male or female sex rather than having sex.
In that case I have proved myself to be a typical male, thinking of sex every two seconds. :hic: :hic:

Lurker, "...men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way" I think he was saying about male or female sex rather than having sex. Women need a reason to have sex, men only need a place - Well this mean Men are more proactive than women be it sex or something else :hic:
The entire scene in the movie goes like this: Harry Burns: You realize of course that we could never be friends. Sally Albright: Why not? Harry Burns: What I'm saying is - and this is not a come-on in any way, shape or form - is that men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way. Sally Albright: That's not true. I have a number of men friends and there is no sex involved. Harry Burns: No you don't. Sally Albright: Yes I do. Harry Burns: No you don't. Sally Albright: Yes I do. Harry Burns: You only think you do. Sally Albright: You say I'm having sex with these men without my knowledge? Harry Burns: No, what I'm saying is they all WANT to have sex with you. Sally Albright: They do not. Harry Burns: Do too. Sally Albright: They do not. Harry Burns: Do too. Sally Albright: How do you know? Harry Burns: Because no man can be friends with a woman that he finds attractive. He always wants to have sex with her. Sally Albright: So, you're saying that a man can be friends with a woman he finds unattractive? Harry Burns: No. You pretty much want to nail 'em too. Sally Albright: What if THEY don't want to have sex with YOU? Harry Burns: Doesn't matter because the sex thing is already out there so the friendship is ultimately doomed and that is the end of the story. Sally Albright: Well, I guess we're not going to be friends then. Harry Burns: I guess not. Sally Albright: That's too bad. You were the only person I knew in New York. :hic:

Re: Men rule ? at least in workplace attitudes Best of my bosses were women. They were caring, easy to approach and very generous unlike the male counterpart. Fair enough it is easy to talk to a male boss about sports at work but the women are great in terms of showing geniune concern or interest in someone's case. I've had three lady bosses and they were all fantastic. One of the was probably the reason where I'm right now. I remember having to take off for month and a half to visit my ailing relative few years ago. I had about a month's leave unused but she simply let me go on paid leave for month and a half without docking a single leave. I'm all for lady bosses, "GO GIRL". :wtg:

Re: Men rule ? at least in workplace attitudes Like you, I don't believe that *all* men make friends with women just for sex, but there have been instances when guy friends admitted they had more than just friendship on their mind.