India A tour of England and Scotland 2010 : Pujara to lead

Chandan

India A team to tour England this summer http://www.cricinfo.com/england/content/story/452743.html West Indies A will replace their New Zealand counterparts as tourists during the English season. New Zealand Cricket had requested to postpone their A-team tour which was scheduled to include a triangular tournament with India A and England Lions as well as a number of first-class matches and two Test matches against the India side. West Indies will now step into their place, which will be a boost to the WICB who are looking to increase the overseas exposure of their younger players and those on the fringes of international selection. They will now take part in the one-day tournament and face India in the two Tests. The West Indies players are required back in the Caribbean in mid July so the original programme has been altered to include the four-day and three-day matches before the triangular series rather than afterwards. Meanwhile, Sri Lanka Under-19s will now visit in place of Australia Under-19s for a tour in July and August which includes two Tests, two Twenty20s and five one-dayers. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 2 A tests vs WI A and hopefully 2-3 such tests vs England Lions between June-July 2010 along with some more first class practice matches, Will be a good chance for the younger brigade to prepare themselves for the rigours of test cricket. My choices for India A team (the senior tam will be busy playing a triangular tournament in Zimbabwe and the Asia cup): Rahane, Vijay, Abhinav Mukund, Pujara, Rohit Sharma, Pandey, Saurabh Tiwary, Nayar, Saha, Ashwin, Ojha/Mishra/Chawla, Jaydev Unadkat, Irfan, Sreesanth, Ishant.

http://www.cricinfo.com/england/content/story/452743.html West Indies A will replace their New Zealand counterparts as tourists during the English season. New Zealand Cricket had requested to postpone their A-team tour which was scheduled to include a triangular tournament with India A and England Lions as well as a number of first-class matches and two Test matches against the India side. West Indies will now step into their place, which will be a boost to the WICB who are looking to increase the overseas exposure of their younger players and those on the fringes of international selection. They will now take part in the one-day tournament and face India in the two Tests. The West Indies players are required back in the Caribbean in mid July so the original programme has been altered to include the four-day and three-day matches before the triangular series rather than afterwards. Meanwhile, Sri Lanka Under-19s will now visit in place of Australia Under-19s for a tour in July and August which includes two Tests, two Twenty20s and five one-dayers. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 2 A tests vs WI A and hopefully 2-3 such tests vs England Lions between June-July 2010 along with some more first class practice matches, Will be a good chance for the younger brigade to prepare themselves for the rigours of test cricket.
Finally we'll be getting some A cricket. But are we having any ODI series during this period? I hope not, as I would like our ODI batsmen to play the unofficial tests in England as well.
My choices for India A team (the senior tam will be busy playing a triangular tournament in Zimbabwe and the Asia cup): Rahane, Vijay, Abhinav Mukund, Pujara, Rohit Sharma, Pandey, Saurabh Tiwary, Nayar, Saha, Ashwin, Ojha/Mishra/Chawla, Jaydev Unadkat, Irfan, Sreesanth, Ishant.
If not on international duty, I'd like Raina and Kohli to be a part of the A tour as well. They are directly on the fringes and we desperately need to identify at least 4 middle order batsmen, who we can groom for the tests. So i'll have Rahane and Dhawan as openers. Vijay, Kohli, Rohit and Raina as 4 MO batsmen, first choice and Pujara in reserve. Saha as keeper, Ojha as spinner and Abdullah as reserve, Mithun, Irfan, Unadkar as seamers with Love Ablish as reserve. What do you think? Anyway, no unofficial test with England Lions. Fixture India A and West Indies A in England 2010 NB These fixtures were changed in March when West Indies A replaced New Zealand A as tourists June 5-7 Yorkshire v India A, Headingley 5-7 Glamorgan v West Indies A, Cardiff 10-13 India A v West Indies A, Leicester 17-20 India A v West Indies A, Whitgift School 23 Scotland v India A, Titwood 23 Ireland v West Indies A, Stormont 25 Scotland v India A, Titwood 25 Ireland v West Indies A, Stormont One-day tri-series: 28 India A v West Indies A, Northampton 29 England Lions v West Indies A, Northampton July 1 England Lions v India A, Leicester 2 India A v West Indies A, Leicester 4 England Lions v West Indies A, Worcester 6 England Lions v India A, Worcester 8 Tri-series final, Worcester 8 Lancashire v India A or West Indies A, Old Trafford (If both India A and West Indies A qualify for final, this match will be cancelled) NB Fixtures are subject to change. The BBC is not responsible for any changes that may be made.
Finally we'll be getting some A cricket. But are we having any ODI series during this period? I hope not, as I would like our ODI batsmen to play the unofficial tests in England as well. If not on international duty, I'd like Raina and Kohli to be a part of the A tour as well. They are directly on the fringes and we desperately need to identify at least 4 middle order batsmen, who we can groom for the tests. So i'll have Rahane and Dhawan as openers. Vijay, Kohli, Rohit and Raina as 4 MO batsmen, first choice and Pujara in reserve. Saha as keeper, Ojha as spinner and Abdullah as reserve, Mithun, Irfan, Unadkar as seamers with Love Ablish as reserve. What do you think?
Chandan, The series will be in June-July and the senior team will be busy playing the tri series in ZImbabwe with Sri Lanka as the 3rd team . This series is from May 28-June 13 (http://www.cricinfo.com/zimbabwe/content/story/452157.html). Then there is the Asia cup to be played in Sri Lanka in June-July Keeping this in mind, I am not sure if Kohli, Raina, Dinesh Karthik etc would be available, else I would have picked these three for the India A team as well. On Dhawan, yeah I forgot to add him in the team. Rahane, Dhawan, Vijay, Pujara, Rohit, Pandey, Abhinav Mukund, Saha would be my picks for batting slots. For bowling Ashwin/Ojha/Chawla/Mishra (any wo of them who isnt in the senior team at that time), Irfan, Ishant, Sreesanth, Unadkat, Mithun. Ishant and Sreesanth IMO need to be given as many chances to get themselves back in shape before the test series in Sri Lanka. On a different note, it will be great for both Ishant and Sreesanth if they could play 2-3 months of county cricket. They will come out of it as better bowlers.

I would like Umesh Yadav in place of Irfan or Sreeshanth bcoz IP now will never b what he was in the past and Sreeshanth will never sort out his problems so its best to try some new faces rather than tried and tested.....though Irfan can play as a batting allrounder now

10-13 India A v West Indies A, Leicester July 1 England Lions v India A, Leicester 2 India A v West Indies A, Leicester
Oh man all the matches are in some random (???)places, either up north or in the midlands :wall: Anyway. great to see this will be happening
:orderorder:

Hmm.. he did say midlands...how dare a Gujju call Leicester random :mad: Titwood I havent even heard of, very random indeed. Back to the teams tho Dhawan, Vijay, Rohit, Pujara, Rahane, Irfan, Saha, Chawla, Vinay K, Mithun, Tyagi (maybe Rudra PS?) Umesh, Ashwin, Mukund, Pandey For the ltd overs matches bring in Naman Ojha for Saha, and Tiwary for Pujara maybe

Dhawan, Vijay, Rohit, Pujara, Rahane, Irfan, Saha, Chawla, Vinay K, Mithun, Tyagi (maybe Rudra PS?) Umesh, Ashwin, Mukund, Pandey For the ltd overs matches bring in Naman Ojha for Saha, and Tiwary for Pujara maybe
Why don't you want to include Rahane as opener? Why not keep Vijay at #3 if that is the position he might get in the Indian team in the long term? And Chawla is absolutely useless as a spinner in the longer format. You'd have noticed that while following Ranji. Ojha is a better spinner there. So, if Raina and Kohli are not available, then: Dhawan Rahane Vijay Pujara Rohit Pandey Saha (as we know what Parthiv & Karthik do) Irfan Ishant Mithun Ojha Tyagi/Ablish Manoj Tiwari Abdullah What do you say for this team?

^ I know Rahane opens for Mumbai but frankly im not sure why- he started life as a no 4 right? That would be the position he would play for India if he was to. Plus Vijay opening would be a sterner test of his technique and skill vs the new ball in conditions which he is not used to- would be good to see how he fares at the top, he is our back up opener after all. I cant say I followed Chawla in the Ranjis very closely but his record last season is good (32 wkts at 27 in 7 matches). Again we need to groom him as a test spinner, or try to anyway. Im not sure Ojha has the variety to be a real threat in test cricket- he is a good accurate bowler though yes. Chawla has county experience too that will help. Im not sure id go with 4 bowlers- Irfan is an allrounder after all, (mind you Saha is not that good a batsman for us to go with 6+5) plus Piyush can bat a bit Im also not sure about Ishant being in an A side, he is one of our senior bowlers- poor form not withstanding. He may not be in the ODI teams around then, but this is our chance to test the so called bench strength Ishant along with Sree and Zak are our test pace attack What do you think about Umesh Yadav...t would be good to see him in bigger tests simply because of the pace he is said to be able to generate Iqbal Abdullah is a good call and should be in the reckoning as a back up spinner for sure, he can bat too a bit. Tyagi over Love Ablish (who i know nothing about but Tyagi is close to international fringes) I also am not sure how good Manoj has been in domestics over the past few seasons...but there was a lot of hype around him

^ I know Rahane opens for Mumbai but frankly im not sure why- he started life as a no 4 right? That would be the position he would play for India if he was to.
I think he is settled as an opener and we should leave him that way. Apart from that, I'm more interested in seeing if he is international material or not.
Plus Vijay opening would be a sterner test of his technique and skill vs the new ball in conditions which he is not used to- would be good to see how he fares at the top, he is our back up opener after all.
He has opened for India and has passed thar test emphatically if not outstandingly. Matches with A team can't be sterner than that. Apart from that, who do you identify as future #3? I think it is Vijay because both Gambhir and Sehwag will play for at least 5 years.
I cant say I followed Chawla in the Ranjis very closely but his record last season is good (32 wkts at 27 in 7 matches). Again we need to groom him as a test spinner, or try to anyway. Im not sure Ojha has the variety to be a real threat in test cricket- he is a good accurate bowler though yes. Chawla has county experience too that will help.
Nah! Chawla is an absolutely useless bowler in the longer format. To even think that he can play in our test team will take us several years back!
Im not sure id go with 4 bowlers- Irfan is an allrounder after all, (mind you Saha is not that good a batsman for us to go with 6+5) plus Piyush can bat a bit
So you want to go with 5 bowlers or 3 bowlers? Ojha, Mithun and Ishant can hardly bat and Saha is not a prolific batsman at FC level.
Im also not sure about Ishant being in an A side, he is one of our senior bowlers- poor form not withstanding. He may not be in the ODI teams around then, but this is our chance to test the so called bench strength Ishant along with Sree and Zak are our test pace attack
Why not? Ishant has played in England only at U-19 level or T20I matches. This exposure might be good for him, if we intend to take him to England next year, for the test series.
What do you think about Umesh Yadav...t would be good to see him in bigger tests simply because of the pace he is said to be able to generate
Haven't seen him bowling in the longer format, hence have no idea how he'd go at FC level.
Iqbal Abdullah is a good call and should be in the reckoning as a back up spinner for sure, he can bat too a bit. Tyagi over Love Ablish (who i know nothing about but Tyagi is close to international fringes)
Yes. Either of them could be included. Any exposure will be good for them.
I also am not sure how good Manoj has been in domestics over the past few seasons...but there was a lot of hype around him
Manoj Tiwari is a good batsman and we shouldn't discard him just because he had a poor series or two for a weak Bengal side. I don't care about the hype, but I've seen him batting against Zaheer 9when he was in the raging form after the SA series) and Agarkar and he really impressed.

Vijay has only played on Indian pattas and having him face the swinging new ball in England will be a different test for him. I know he has faced and scored good runs vs test attacks but this will be good exposure. He is more likely to be our LTerm opener than Rahane. The 'GG and Viru will open for 5 years more' (Not sure Sehwag will last THAT long as opener) holds true for Rahane too really :P Im sure Rahanes best runs have come in the middle order Chawla is said to have worked on his leg break and has always had a good googly- I think he has the skill to be a better test bowler than Ojha, who might serve well to hold an end down and chip in with a few, but not be a genuine wicket taker. Id like to go with Irfan and 4 more bowlers. That will be problem given Sahas lack of batting pedigree, but Piyush bats a bit. Ive only seen Umesh Yadav in the IPL and he seems to be pretty nippy The selectors being what they are, theyll be at least two or three very random selections.

India A doesn't tour that much so they should take upcoming pace bowlers instead of bolded players. England wickets will give a much better idea about promising young bowlers than wasting spots on international players. Any good young pacer/swinger in IPL or ranji? and when really was the last time India A toured?
I know about one seamer, named Mithun. He hasn't played in the IPL though. One or two U-19 bowlers also seemed good. I wish we had more choices though!