WC Day 15: Spain v Chile, Switzerland v Honduras (Group H)

SachDan

Spain playing very well today. Spain vs Portugal seems like an unfair round of 16 match up. Same with Brazil vs Chile.
yeah, Netherlands bracket is very easy it seems.. they have a clear shot at making into semifinals...

What do you mean unfair :hmmm:
I mean US vs Ghana two lesser teams facing each other in 16, whereas Spain vs Portugal two of the top teams. Somehow it doesn't seem to add up. I think they should reseed teams after league stage based on points for round of 16 onwards.

I mean US vs Ghana two lesser teams facing each other in 16, whereas Spain vs Portugal two of the top teams. Somehow it doesn't seem to add up. I think they should reseed teams after league stage based on points for round of 16 onwards.
they cant reseed teams while tournament is on-going.. they have split up the groups pretty badly it seems.. for example, you cant have portugal and brazil sitting in one group.. while in US group you have UK and other two weak teams... its like group A, B, C, D got only few strong teams and E, F, G, H got lot many strong teams..

Brazil/Portugal v Spain was a given before the tournament started. It had nothing to do with seeding. It was the luck of the draw. What you are suggesting is that the lesser teams like US & Ghana should go out early and the top seeds should face in the later stages. Why have the lesser teams in the first place then? In reality it should have been German v USA & England v Ghana, but because the English screwed up, it became US v Ghana & Eng v Germany. Why should US & Ghana be penalised for that?

they cant reseed teams while tournament is on-going.. they have split up the groups pretty badly it seems.. for example, you cant have portugal and brazil sitting in one group.. while in US group you have UK and other two weak teams... its like group A, B, C, D got only few strong teams and E, F, G, H got lot many strong teams..
There was no splitting. It was just the luck of the draw.

Ofc they can reseed for the knockout stages. The first round is league stages and then it is knock out. It makes sense to have 1 through 16 properly listed for the knockout. It would also make sense to have the groupings and the team allocation properly so that they don't have an absurd Spain/Portugal vs Brazil round of 16 possibility. Anyways here is how they did it (approx info): http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/2456718/2010_world_cup_groups_draw_for_united.html?cat=14

Brazil/Portugal v Spain was a given before the tournament started. It had nothing to do with seeding. It was the luck of the draw. What you are suggesting is that the lesser teams like US & Ghana should go out early and the top seeds should face in the later stages. Why have the lesser teams in the first place then? In reality it should have been German v USA & England v Ghana, but because the English screwed up, it became US v Ghana & Eng v Germany. Why should US & Ghana be penalised for that?
Ok, why should Brazil vs Portugal/Spain be by luck of the draw? That approach seems flawed.