WC Round of 16 Germany v England, 27th June 2010

Chalks

Guest Hiten.

Germany has netted 20 out of their last 20 penalty takes in the World Cup. England can only wish and hope for Rooney's /other strikers' alarm to go off during tomorrow's game and actually start scoring for them. Going into penalty shootout will be a bad omen for England :giggle: Although I wanted England to win, I think Germany will have better of them and might go on to win 2-1.

PREDICTION Germany-England clashes are always classics and this game promises to be one. Both sides have reasons to be optimistic: Germany have looked slick and creative upfront while England have rediscovered the spirit and urge to win. The Castrol World Cup match predictor gives Germany a 46% chance of winning the match while England are given a 54% chance. Indeed, it's a very close call to make but Germany should just about sneak a win. However, the 2006 World Cup semi-finalists must take care to see that they don't concede first. Germany 2-1 England (a.e.t.)

Time has come for England to beat Germany in WC! It was a much improved performance from England in that do or die match against Slovenia. Terry was simply fantastic at the back along with Upson (a forced change because of the suspension to Carraagher). As a player Gerrard is having a great WC and his combination with Rooney will be key to England's chances today. Another surprise in that game was Milner's performance at right wing. He managed lots of superb crosses, including the one for Jermain Defoe to score the winning goal! Still would like to see Joe Cole in the starting line-up though :( Disappointments: Frank Lampard for me. Hopefully we'll see a better outing for the Chelski hero :) Then there is Wayne Rooney! He is the kind of who player who will step up to the plate when it really matters. I'm expecting him to score a goal at least hence making up for poor games he had in the first round :pray: It's going to be a nail biting, nerve wracking match finishing in elation for England :two_thumbs_up:

We laugh at Rooney being compared to Messi - Milito For Andy with :icflove:

Argentina's Diego Milito has hit out at Wayne Rooney, claiming it is "laughable" to suggest he is on a par with FIFA World Player of the Year Lionel Messi. Milito, who struggles to get into the Argentina team despite winning the Champions League with Inter Milan last season, has revealed that if they face England in the quarter-finals in Cape Town on July 3, they will not consider man-marking the England forward. "When we hear the English or anybody else in the world of football trying to compare Wayne Rooney with Messi, we find it laughable" Milito told the Daily Star Sunday. "Rooney is a very good player there is no doubt about that - but to put him on the same level as Messi is wrong. It's not up for debate, it's just wrong. "We are looking at a player in Messi who, when he retires, may very well be the best player to have graced the game. How can he be compared to anybody currently playing, let alone a player who has never ever won World Player of the Year? "While I don't agree with it, I can understand Messi being compared to Kaka and Ronaldo, but Rooney? No, no, no." And the Inter forward added: "Like I said, I think Rooney is a very good player, maybe even a top 20 player in the world - but that doesn't make him Messi, it doesn't even make him close to Messi. It's a long way off but if we do draw England in the quarter-finals, Rooney will be a player we show respect to. "But Messi is marked by five or six players at a time and I don't see us doing that to Rooney. "Messi has told us that he doesn't want to be considered a legend until he has won a World Cup - but like it or not, the boy is already a legend." Messi himself was a little more diplomatic in his comments about Rooney, saying that the Englishman just needs to relax in order to end his goal drought. "Rooney should approach the game as if it were a pre-season friendly with Manchester United," said the Barcelona star. "It might sound crazy but players like Rooney play at their best when they are not thinking. "Top stars play at their peak when what they do is natural and instinctive. People have written that I can't play as well for Argentina as I can for Barcelona, so I know what pressure there is."

TBH on the basis of Club performace Messi is ahead of Rooney no doubt and in WC too he is ahead of Rooney. Militos reaction reminds me of few Pakis calling Punter way ahead of SRT . :laugh: And when Messi was compared to Ronaldo when United won the European Cup. People found the same too. So no woinder, Rooney is one of the best players in the world and had only "One" great season. Where as Messi had 2-3 great seasons with Club. We'll see who is luaghable at when both Retires. :winky: Thank You G_M my reason for Hatred towards Argies got a new impetus now :isalute:

Rooney one of the greatest players of current generation: Messi

CAPE TOWN - Argentine striker Leo Messi believes that his England counterpart Wayne Rooney is among the greatest footballers playing at the moment. “I think Wayne is a great, great player, not just for what he did this year. For many years now he’s been showing that he’s one of the greatest players of his generation and year by year he’s improving and becoming stronger,†The Sun quoted Messi, as saying. “He’s the complete player. Very good with the ball at his feet, he has huge strength and scores goals. I think he makes his rivals fear him. In the Premier League and in the Champions League with Manchester United and also with England.†“Any defender that comes up against Rooney has a lot of respect for him because of everything he has achieved,†he added. The 22-year-old, who is the FIFA World Player of the Year and favourite to retain the title after another phenomenal season with Barcelona, also hailed the Manchester United star as his biggest rival for the award. “It could be that whoever of us two wins the competition will become the World Player of the Year. In a tournament of this magnitude any player can gain a lot of points. I think of Fabio Cannavaro who won the World Cup with Italy and then won every individual award,†Messi said. “So I think if one of us wins the World Cup, he will have an even bigger chance,†he added.
:two_thumbs_up: Link