Luis Suarez-cheater?

cowboysfan

Did the right thing for his team at the time. Can't blame him in the circumstances, and he got sent off and will miss the next game, so it isn't like he got away with it personally, though obviously he prevented a certain goal. Still sad for Gyan and the Ghana team though, so very close but Gyan messed up the one penalty that mattered the most.

More than anything' date=' it was an instinctive reaction.[/quote']
exactly
Uruguay striker Luis Suarez claimed on Saturday that his deliberate extra-time, last-minute handball, which denied Ghana a World Cup semi-final place, was the 2010 version of the "Hand of God". Suarez was red-carded by Portuguese referee Olegario Benquerenca for the illegal goal-line clearance which kept out substitute Dominic Adiyah's header but resulted in a Ghana penalty. However, Asamoah Gyan then sent his penalty - the last kick of the game - crashing off the crossbar to give the Uruguayans a reprieve which they exploited by prevailing 4-2 in the shoot-out which followed. "This was the end of the World Cup. I had no choice. I have the 'Hand of God' now," said Suarez
http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?click_id=2822&art_id=nw20100703081657478C324715&set_id=

still' date=' who says he cheated?[/quote'] Sorry I was trying to quote Dan on the instintivie reaction and quoted you accidentally. It was not instinctive but deliberate. You are right, It can't be termed cheating, because the laws of the game were applied fairly, Suarez was red carded and Ghana were given a penalty. It was just unlucky that Ghana missed.

thanks for the links. since this was a game changing event, may be they should consider a stricter punishment as it could encourage others to go for a red card and handing at the goal line in end game situations. still even if it is a 2 game ban, it isn't going to stop anyone from doing it. may be they should change the rule to say it is a goal if defended by anyone other than the keeper with the hand.

deliberate handballing is cheating! its another matter he got punished. its like saying its ok to rob kill rape as long as you are ready to do the jail time. maybe in extreme cases like what we saw a red card surely doesn't act as a deterrent and its disappointing to see fifa not extend his ban cause that was unsportsmanlike conduct. however ghana had a chance to make this debate irrelevant but didn't use it

let me ask you guys one thing is diving cheating ? or is it cheating only if it evokes a bad call from the referee ? what if the referee never gave the penalty and uruguay went on to win would his action be termed as cheating? nothing has changed about his actions, his intention or motivation to do it except the fact he didn't receive a punishment. The point i am trying to make is a red card doesn't legitimize the hand ball but its a deterrent, a hand ball is still very much illegal and a deliberate one such as suarez is immoral whether or not it is punished is a different matter altogether. People saying suarez is ok in doing that should also agree that afiridi/pakistan can go about biting/tampering balls as long as they are banned for two matches afterwards and accept that punishment, if they are caught in the first place :dontknow: