Bengali's supporting bangla's

Holysmoke

Kolkata, March 30: A true sports lover looks beyond nationalities when it comes to appreciating sportsmanship. This one strikes one on visiting Kolkata these days. Cricket lovers here are now supporting Bangladesh's quest for becoming champions. Cricket fans have shifted their allegiance to the "Men in Green" after the "Men in Blue" exited from the World Cup last week. The legacy of an undivided Bengal during colonial times still looms large in the minds of the people. "We are Bengalis. No matter East Bengal or West Bengal, Bengalis are playing, that's why we are supporting Bangladesh. Our country is out and in Asian countries, Bangladesh is closest to us that's why we are supporting it," said, Asif Ali Khan, wearing his brand new Bangladesh teams jersey. A sudden rush is being seen at kiosks selling Bangladesh cricket team jerseys. "Since our team is out of the World Cup and we are Bengalis, so we will support a Bengali team. That's why we have come to buy a Bangladesh Jersey," said, Pankaj Dutta, who along with his friend brought a new Bangladesh team's jersey. For shopkeepers, business is roaring again after the initial hiccup following the early exit of the Indian team from the tournament. "The sales came down drastically after India lost but after Bangladesh qualified for the Super 8, the sales have gone up again," said, Gautam Saha, a roadside clothes shop owner. Bangladesh surpassed the first round for the first time after defeating Bermuda and India. Sri Lanka, the champions in 1996, topped the group by winning all three of their matches while India was eliminated after managing only one victory. Meanwhile, Indian electronic goods manufacturer Videocon on Thursday (March 29) said it would pull off advertisements featuring Indian captain Rahul Dravid and wicketkeeper M.S. Dhoni to save its brand image. "People were seeing the match till late upto 4 o'clock (IST) but the result was very bad and that's why when public is not happy then why to use them as the brand ambassadors for now," said, Venugopal Dhoot, Chairman and Managing Director, Videocon. Dhoot added that the advertisement would be back on air as soon as players start performing well. Cricket is taken very seriously in India, where players are treated as huge celebrities, paid big money to endorse major commercial brands and put on pedestals by cricket-crazy fans.

Re: Bengali's supporting bangla's I am ok with them supporting whoever now that India is out. Of course it would be a different story if they were happy that Bangladesh beat us, which I bet some of them were.

Re: Bengali's supporting bangla's

Worst cricket crowd in the world. :mad:
They are a fine crowd. Some of India's most memorable victories were seen in the Eden Gardens. My favourite cricketing memory is watching a 100,000 strong crowd in the Eden Gardens under lights celebrating India's "back from the dead" victory over SA in the '94 Hero Cup semi Regionalism is a b*tch, but you can't antagonise them for it - it's everywhere. The other Indian states are no different.

Worst cricket crowd in the world. :mad:
They are a fine crowd. Some of India's most memorable victories were seen in the Eden Gardens. My favourite cricketing memory is watching a 100,000 strong crowd in the Eden Gardens under lights celebrating India's "back from the dead" victory over SA in the '94 Hero Cup semi Regionalism is a b*tch, but you can't antagonise them for it - it's everywhere. The other Indian states are no different.
i donno mate, i dont like the crowd much i was really really pissed when they boo-ed the Indian team.. against SA.. even the WC semifinal.. wtf..

i donno mate, i dont like the crowd much i was really really pissed when they boo-ed the Indian team.. against SA.. even the WC semifinal.. wtf..
Didn't watch much cricket during the '90s, eh ? Eden Gardens can generate a magical atmosphere - the kind unseen at any other Indian stadium. Eden Gardens is also a bookie hub; lots of gambling activity going on - and naturally, when people bet plenty of money on India and the result doesn't go their way, they will do their utmost to stop the match from continuing. That was case during the '96 semi vs SL and the '99 ATC match vs PAK

Didn't watch much cricket during the '90s, eh ? Eden Gardens can generate a magical atmosphere - the kind unseen at any other Indian stadium. Eden Gardens is also a bookie hub; lots of gambling activity going on - and naturally, when people bet plenty of money on India and the result doesn't go their way, they will do their utmost to stop the match from continuing. That was case during the '96 semi vs SL and the '99 ATC match vs PAK
frankly yes, early 90's, I mustve seen, but dont remember anything, only remember games after the 96 WC. Agreed, eden gardens can generate a magical atmosphere, but the fans there are not really fans.. they are so fickle :mad: theyre supporting bangladesh now.. bloody glory hunters :wall:

A true sports lover looks beyond nationalities when it comes to appreciating sportsmanship. This one strikes one on visiting Kolkata these days.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Joke of the facking century..... they dont even look beyond their state boundary, leave alone nationality :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

A true sports lover looks beyond nationalities when it comes to appreciating sportsmanship. This one strikes one on visiting Kolkata these days.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Joke of the facking century..... they dont even look beyond their state boundary, leave alone nationality :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Vey true! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

You're forgetting the fact that there are millions of Banglastanis currently residing in WB
illegally.... u know, this could be the best time to clean up.... everyone who was dancing on the streets after Bangles victory over SA can be checked for citizenship and deported.... there will be 99% accuracy and population of WB will go down by 50%....

When CC pointed this out, you all jumped on him and virtually lynched him. Let's see some crow being eaten, eh? :lol:
What did he point out? Link?
http://www.indiancricketfans.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3952&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=bengalis+support+bangladesh&start=20
CC's statement for which he was rightfully lynched:
He's right to an extent- ie, Bengalis arn't super-disappointed with India crashing out to Bangladesh like rest of the country.
This article doesn't say that Bengalis weren't super-disappointed with India crashing out. It just says that since our crash out, people have taken up to supporting Bangladesh. It's like I support SL as my next team, but I was disgusted and devastated when we lost to them.

You're forgetting the fact that there are millions of Banglastanis currently residing in WB
illegally.... u know, this could be the best time to clean up.... everyone who was dancing on the streets after Bangles victory over SA can be checked for citizenship and deported.... there will be 99% accuracy and population of WB will go down by 50%....
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: