Important - please vote here.

gator

Re: Important - please vote here. Dont like the demarcation in the poll. A country is inclusive of language, culture, religion etc. How can the distinction be made? Would India still be India if instead of the country it is today it was made up of a monolith of people following Christianity, speaking Romanian, and embedded in Egyptian practises?

Re: Important - please vote here. It'll be interesting to see how many who voted for "country" here ditched Indian citizenship and went behind other countries citizenship for better prospects. You call yourself patriotic and bound to your own country but when you go shopping you look for a citizenship that gives you more gains. This whatz called hyprocricy at its highest!

Re: Important - please vote here.

It'll be interesting to see how many who voted for "country" here ditched Indian citizenship and went behind other countries citizenship for better prospects. You call yourself patriotic and bound to your own country but when you go shopping you look for a citizenship that gives you more gains. This whatz called hyprocricy at its highest!
people leave their country for good of their own.... their is lot of poverty in India, hence ppl leave their country for good.. that doesn't mean anit-Indian or something..

Re: Important - please vote here. >>> I also accept that bengalis will be closer to bengalis, punjabis with punjabis, etc etc. So where is the problem ? bullshit CC.....i have never had a friend who is uttranchali...ok may be one long time back.... most of my friends have been south indians.

Re: Important - please vote here. Religion over Country philosophy is what makes some Indian Muslims celebrate when Pakistan beats India. Some of you might want to reconsider your vote. Yes, we all know a country is identified by it's cutlture, bla bla bla. But the main question here is, do you identify yourself as an "Indian" first or as a "Hindu" or a "Muslim" or a "Religion of choice" first?

It'll be interesting to see how many who voted for "country" here ditched Indian citizenship and went behind other countries citizenship for better prospects. You call yourself patriotic and bound to your own country but when you go shopping you look for a citizenship that gives you more gains. This whatz called hyprocricy at its highest!
HC, you just dont know how much NRIs are helping India.... just for one example, there are so many organization in USA alone to help educate children of India.... You just dont know.. and as far as the country or religion question is concerned.. Even Geeta says that Country should be ones top priority.. so Country always comes first..

we were living under illusion that this-- our ancient "Culture" will keep us united as one nation...
Our ancient culture rarely united us in the past- even before the muslims. So i dunno why anyone would be under any illusion that our ancient cultural commonality would automatically translate into nationalism. And i think you got this impression completely wrong that nationalism actually translates into preserving a nation in the long term. It doesnt. Infact, nationalism is what causes downfall of nations since as i said, its the nationalistic nutters (along with ideological nutters) who are the first ones over the hill to go invade for some excuse. As i said, to you, its akhanda bharatam, to someone else its mighty iran, to someone else its some zionist nonsense...but its all the same. From my experience, societies that are remarkably cohesive are the ones that have very little nationalism in their society. Canada, Denmark, Norway, etc. are all very stable nation-conciousness wise ( Quebec is the only anomaly really) and they are all very low on the nationalism list. I think you got it wrong that if people are not nationalistic it will lead to the division of a nation. Such may be true for a largely illiterate nation like India but its rarely true in an educated society.

The latter. The culture' date=' languages and religions are what define a country's people and make the country what it is. Without them, the country cannot exist.[/quote'] Does religion takes precedence over culture and language ? :shrug:

What if you hold dual citizenship ? :shrug:

CC, going by your logic of religion ,culture etc Indian Muslim is justified in supporting Pakistan over India , Right ?
Religion alone is not a sufficient cause- but if its cultural, its a sufficient cause in my opinion.

The latter. The culture' date=' languages and religions are what define a country's people and make the country what it is. Without them, the country cannot exist.[/quote'] Does religion takes precedence over culture and language ? :shrug:
No, but it does play an important role in shaping the country. Remember, the subcontinent was divided along RELIGIOUS lines (long before the British arrived, BTW). Most modern nations were founded under religion - ie; the USA (one nation under god). I don't think it exactly takes precedence ahead of culture and language, but does it play a vital role in defining a country's identity ? Of course.

What if you hold dual citizenship ? :shrug:
No one at present holds one. You pledge your allegience towards a country and accept it's citizenship and then privately goes and buys another countries citizenship to favor your desires. How convenient it is to serve two masters at the same time!

Even though I got my GC a gazillion years ago and still haven't applied for US citizenship cause the very thought disgusts me, I wouldn't be getting excited like you judging people just because they decide to get a US/another country citizenship. People do it for various personal reasons and it is not always in conflict with their affinity for their country of origin. Anyways, given that you don't put country first, why the fack would you care what someone else does with their citizenship?