Important - please vote here.

gator

Re: Important - please vote here.

The latter. The culture' date=' languages and religions are what define a country's people and make the country what it is. Without them, the country cannot exist.[/quote'] Does religion takes precedence over culture and language ? :shrug:
No, but it does play an important role in shaping the country. Remember, the subcontinent was divided along RELIGIOUS lines (long before the British arrived, BTW). Most modern nations were founded under religion - ie; the USA (one nation under god). I don't think it exactly takes precedence ahead of culture and language, but does it play a vital role in defining a country's identity ? Of course.
Country plays role only for people who are living in that country. For families who raise children outside India you can only imbibe the cultural values and tradiations not any nationalistic flavour into their minds.

The latter. The culture' date=' languages and religions are what define a country's people and make the country what it is. Without them, the country cannot exist.[/quote'] Does religion takes precedence over culture and language ? :shrug:
No, but it does play an important role in shaping the country. Remember, the subcontinent was divided along RELIGIOUS lines (long before the British arrived, BTW). Most modern nations were founded under religion - ie; the USA (one nation under god). I don't think it exactly takes precedence ahead of culture and language, but does it play a vital role in defining a country's identity ? Of course.
Country plays role only for people who are living in that country. For families who raise children outside India you can only imbibe the cultural values and tradiations not any nationalistic flavour into their minds.
As a person who was for the most part, brought up in the United States - i think this statement is 100% true. ...and on that note; Holy sh*t ! Me and a Head Coach agreeing on something ?!?!?!?!? HELL HAS FROZEN OVER !!! :eek:

Anyways' date=' given that you don't put country first, why the fack would you care what someone else does with their citizenship?[/quote'] Forgot that you had taken on lease the authority over my brain's decision making capability :huh:

Are you an authority on raising kids outside India? :chin:

Anyways' date=' given that you don't put country first, why the fack would you care what someone else does with their citizenship?[/quote'] Forgot that you had taken on lease the authority over my brain's decision making capability :huh:
I guess that thought didn't occur when you were trying to judge people for their decisions without knowing the individual situations behind them. :hmph:

CC, going by your logic of religion ,culture etc Indian Muslim is justified in supporting Pakistan over India , Right ?
Religion alone is not a sufficient cause- but if its cultural, its a sufficient cause in my opinion.
Again , going by this logic ,Looks like their is nothing wrong with a Bengali muslim supporting Bangladesh over India or Punjabi Muslim supporting Pakistan over India. After all , they share common culture ,religion ,language etc. This is the reason why country should take precedence over religion ,culture BS. Heck , I would expect you to support Canada over any other country.

Looks like their is nothing wrong with a Bengali muslim supporting Bangladesh over India or Punjabi Muslim supporting Pakistan over India.
Why just bengali muslim ? I know for a fact there are bengali hindus who support Bangladesh. And no, country does not take precedence over religion or culture to most people. That is the bottomline and there is no reason why it should be any other way. If anything, the precedence of religion/culture over nationalism is replaced by precedence of materialism over nationalism in some countries. But i cannot think of any nation- except for maybe North Korea from what i've read/heard where people put nationalism over everything else. As far as i am concerned, its the culture that defines a country. If the choice is between supporting Indian culture or supporting India as a nation, as far as i am concerned, its a no brainer - i will support the culture over the nation ten times out of ten.

CC, going by your logic of religion ,culture etc Indian Muslim is justified in supporting Pakistan over India , Right ?
Religion alone is not a sufficient cause- but if its cultural, its a sufficient cause in my opinion.
Again , going by this logic ,Looks like their is nothing wrong with a Bengali muslim supporting Bangladesh over India or Punjabi Muslim supporting Pakistan over India. After all , they share common culture ,religion ,language etc. This is the reason why country should take precedence over religion ,culture BS. Heck , I would expect you to support Canada over any other country.
People are entitled to support whoever they like. Country or national allegiance is an entirely different thing.

country or language/culture/religion.... which comes first...
Why is this even a question? Country comes ahead of everything. A country like India can have different language/culture/religion within it. So mathematically speaking Country is the superset while religion, culture etc are all subsets of it. What comes first then - superset or subset? A good example to lay it out would be say Hindi movie music. Historically some of the greatest Hindi movie music directors have come from non-Hindi areas. Bengalis like Salil Chaudhary, Sachin Dev Burman, Rahul Dev Burman, Bappi Lahiri, Pankaj Mullick etc. Same with Southern music directors like AR Rehman, Illaiyaraja. However what has worked wonders is when these music directors have teamed with some of the greatest lyricist of Hindi cinema - the likes of Gulzar. A SD Burman is rendered infinitely more value by the haunting lyricis of Majrooh or pure Hindi by Neeraj. Just as RD Burman teamed with Gulzar to create arguably the best music director-lyricist duo in Indian cinema, not only Hindi cinema. Why would one want to limit himself with a culture(Bengali or Tamil) when he has an entire country's to choose from? xxx

And no, country does not take precedence over religion or culture to most people.
Not according to this poll !
And who voted: The majority who hammers muslims all the time and thinks Indian country as a birth right of Hindus!

country or language/culture/religion.... which comes first...
Why is this even a question? Country comes ahead of everything. A country like India can have different language/culture/religion within it. So mathematically speaking Country is the superset while religion, culture etc are all subsets of it. What comes first then - superset or subset? A good example to lay it out would be say Hindi movie music. Historically some of the greatest Hindi movie music directors have come from non-Hindi areas. Bengalis like Salil Chaudhary, Sachin Dev Burman, Rahul Dev Burman, Bappi Lahiri, Pankaj Mullick etc. Same with Southern music directors like AR Rehman, Illaiyaraja. However what has worked wonders is when these music directors have teamed with some of the greatest lyricist of Hindi cinema - the likes of Gulzar. A SD Burman is rendered infinitely more value by the haunting lyricis of Majrooh or pure Hindi by Neeraj. Just as RD Burman teamed with Gulzar to create arguably the best music director-lyricist duo in Indian cinema, not only Hindi cinema. Why would one want to limit himself with a culture(Bengali or Tamil) when he has an entire country's to choose from? *****
Lurker, This is only for people who have not surrendered their Indian nationality. For people who took oath to be a loyal citizen of another country and children who are born outside India cannot consider this nationalistic approach rather can only take pride in the cultural heritage. They can only look at the cultural resemblance and ethinicity but not any national identity.

Lurker, This is only for people who have not surrendered their Indian nationality. For people who took oath to be a loyal citizen of another country and children who are born outside India cannot consider this nationalistic approach rather can only take pride in the cultural heritage. They can only look at the cultural resemblance and ethinicity but not any national identity.
No doubt there. I have no sympathies for people who live in London and support India. By that I mean people who are citizen of England(or US or whatever it may be) and support India. Specially no sympathies for people who enjoy the largesse of Western Government only to keep suggesting how English teams suck! Or how they would never support England over India. Lets be honest here. People move to US/UK because that country has been overall better for them than India. Why would one want to leave India only to support India, doesnt make sense to me. Another reason why ditching Indian citizenship is not on my personal radar. xxxx

Why is this even a question?
this question was to address one of the stinks created by our beloved friend CC, who was slipping away..... now,tht he has been skinned by everyone, we should see less number of such polls....

As a person who was for the most part, brought up in the United States - i think this statement is 100% true. ...and on that note; Holy sh*t ! Me and a Head Coach agreeing on something ?!?!?!?!? HELL HAS FROZEN OVER !!! :eek:
u should be more worried, cos u r treading on CC's footsteps....

Re: Important - please vote here. Very difficult to say Culture.. is even comparable to what Country holds. As few rightly said so it holds everything together. Gujjus< marthas, Muslims, tamils and banglas and punjus. ONLY my golden country holds them together. Only me and you being an Indian can have a feel of unity in diversity. Languages, different cultures, even religions are held together because they are under one roof. We have put that boundary around us for that very reason that we want to preserve this. No one else has this previllege. ONLY us. Its country what is worth dying for because only safe and secure country can lead us to a very righteous and spiritual life. Because religion is right inside you which no1 can take away from you..But borders need protection or else whatever heritage we have will be lost when all this outside cultures mix up with ours and its all muddled up. That is what we see now. For those who are talking about Citizenship are saying that if child leaves home and stays away from his mom, he can't claim that he loves his mom any more. He loves the money and whatever which is why he leaves her. I dont think I need explaination to give him because he is deniying everyone a very chance to live life for what they have taken birth for. Not to stick to their mom's pallu and live useless life. Matruprem.. or love for your Mother (Mother Land) can only come from heart which needs to be very pure. That is one of the ways to reach to the god. I wouldn't have cared if I were born Hindu or Muslim or Christian as long as I had gotten what I have today. But I cant imagine being born anywhere else.

And no, country does not take precedence over religion or culture to most people.
And who voted: The majority who hammers muslims all the time and thinks Indian country as a birth right of Hindus!
Wrong Logic. If that was the case, they would have voted religion first and the polls would have shown a different result.

Wrong Logic. If that was the case, they would have voted religion first and the polls would have shown a different result.
hahahaha..... one more dart on ur bottom.... CC man, u r really embarrasing urself....