Murthy apologises for anthem remark

sandtest

Before this, he was having a good chance as next Presidential Candidate...this definately has caused a permamnet damage...bad for India also...our media has never left any opportunity un-exploited. Must be embarrassing for Murthy himself for such remarks. BANGALORE: Infosys chief mentor N R Narayana Murthy has found himself embroiled in a controversy over his alleged remarks on national anthem during President Kalam's visit to Infy's facility in Mysore on Sunday. When the media had questioned Murthy about why Infosys had chosen the instrumental version instead of singing the anthem, some reports quoted him saying, "We had arranged for five people to sing the anthem. But then we cancelled it as we have foreigners on board here. They should not be embarrassed while we sing the anthem." Murthy said on Tuesday, "I apologise to those who may have been hurt by my comments on the instrumental version of the anthem played during President Kalam's visit." According to Infosys, the context of the statement was not adequately dealt with in the reports. The feeling, the company said, was that foreigners would be more comfortable with the instrumental version, as they could then hum along as others sang the anthem. http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Murthy_apologises_for_Anthem_remark/articleshow/1889256.cms

Re: Murthy apologises for anthem remark The media as suspected exploited it but this was a silly gesture by Murthy.Why would you not allow singing of the national anthem in your own country?...because it would cause embarrassment to foreigners :huh: What a load of crap.... :mad:

Re: Murthy apologises for anthem remark

The media as suspected exploited it but this was a silly gesture by Murthy.Why would you not allow singing of the national anthem in your own country?...because it would cause embarrassment to foreigners :huh:
For once media has done its job correctly. It is greatly disappointing to see the "icon" of Indian, Murthy behaving like this. Embarassment to foreign employees due to singing of National Anthem?? Now I have heard it all. Shame on you Mr Narayan Murthy. As for the media thing, just a quick question. How would the response, in media or with people, be had the same thing done by a Muslim businessman - Premji, Khorakiwaala etc? Can you imagine the uproar had it been a Muslim tycoon suggesting "We didnt play Anthem due to embarassment?". Media has done its job well in this case and the egg is on the face of Mr. Murthy. xxxx

The media as suspected exploited it but this was a silly gesture by Murthy.Why would you not allow singing of the national anthem in your own country?...because it would cause embarrassment to foreigners :huh:
For once media has done its job correctly. It is greatly disappointing to see the "icon" of Indian, Murthy behaving like this. Embarassment to foreign employees due to singing of National Anthem?? Now I have heard it all. Shame on you Mr Narayan Murthy. As for the media thing, just a quick question. How would the response, in media or with people, be had the same thing done by a Muslim businessman - Premji, Khorakiwaala etc? Can you imagine the uproar had it been a Muslim tycoon suggesting "We didnt play Anthem due to embarassment?". Media has done its job well in this case and the egg is on the face of Mr. Murthy. xxxx
I dont support Mr.Moorthy if he said that but I would imagine it was taken out of context by media. He may have referred that instrumental serves it better for all the audience who are attending as in an international event like Olympics. Infosys caters to a global audience even though they keep the Indian company identity on all their press releases.

He may have referred that instrumental serves it better for all the audience who are attending as in an international event like Olympics. Infosys caters to a global audience even though they keep the Indian company identity on all their press releases.
the national anthem is not there to cater to any one or any group, HC..... being the CEO of a multinational, this guy still has a huge complex.... shameful...

Re: Murthy apologises for anthem remark The only reason they play the instrumental part in Olympics is that each time they have to play potentially THREE different anthems ( for gold,bronze and silver medallist's nation) and that too, within a small allocated time. Its far easier to cut short an instrumental piece than a vocal piece. Infact, i remember watching the 92 olympic games and some event where all three medallists were Russians, they played the vocal version of the national anthem. This guy is a hopeless bootlicker for making such a call.

He may have referred that instrumental serves it better for all the audience who are attending as in an international event like Olympics. Infosys caters to a global audience even though they keep the Indian company identity on all their press releases.
the national anthem is not there to cater to any one or any group, HC..... being the CEO of a multinational, this guy still has a huge complex.... shameful...
Gator, There is no need for a MNC like Infosys to sing National Anthem in their internal function. The sole reason is to abide by the protocol when President is attending the function. It's just like singing the anthem respecting an indian athlete who is on the medal stand. To accomodate employees and customers from many countries he decided to go intstrumental. That is no way disrespectful. But if he made a statment to this extend I see it foul. Bytheby he is not the CEO anymore. He retired from the company

Re: Murthy apologises for anthem remark A while back, during a davis cup game between the US and India, a group of Indians sung the national anthem so poorly, that I was embarassed. Of course, many americans sing their national anthem rather poorly and embarass their country as well. But I am sure Murthy could have found some nice rendering of the anthem. Anyways, very very poor remarks by him.

Re: Murthy apologises for anthem remark i think unemployment and Media channels have increased in India...and thst is the reason for these non-issues to crop up... i understand that Tiranga and National Anthem are something we must respect...but how many of us actually do that... does any one here..stand up whenever they listen our anthem? There are many issues which are of national importance..and which will impact the integrity and honour of our country... still just to catch more eyeballs....these cheap channels...shows these things... There were many people who were present in the High commission party..still sachin has been booked for the contempt... how about the person.,.who asked him to cut the cake..how about those people...who actually ate the cake..? we are just making fun of ourselves..by raising such a hue and cry... although i do not concur with Murthy's Reasoning...

does any one here..stand up whenever they listen our anthem?
Nope. Atleast, not always. Afterall, its just a song. Occasion is the defining thing for me. If its Jana gana mana wafting through my speakers while playing that awesome youtube video of great indian performers, i am not gonna bother standing up. But if i happen to be on the republic day parade grounds, i will stand, just like everyone else.

does any one here..stand up whenever they listen our anthem?
Nope. Atleast, not always. Afterall, its just a song. Occasion is the defining thing for me. If its Jana gana mana wafting through my speakers while playing that awesome youtube video of great indian performers, i am not gonna bother standing up. But if i happen to be on the republic day parade grounds, i will stand, just like everyone else.
again u r embarassing urself.... i had gone to an big indian cultural function here..... at the end, out of the blue, they played jana gana mana and the whole hall was on its feet... looking at us, the white people also got on their feet..... personally, i have rarely felt more emotional in my life.... there were some people, who were in tears....

again u r embarassing urself.... i had gone to an big indian cultural function here..... at the end, out of the blue, they played jana gana mana and the whole hall was on its feet... looking at us, the white people also got on their feet.....
No, it is you who are embarassing yourself by your lack of understanding. The situation you described, i'd have stood up too - the question was do we stand up every single time and i said no - i don't bother to if its in my living room casual atmosphere but i do if its a social occasion or serious occasion. Thats why i gave the examples that i did.

u wont be able to later, if any other indian sees it...
????!!? I've hung out with Indians all my life even when living overseas - i've never met an Indian who carefully puts his vodka-martini down, leaps to his feet, clears his throat and starts singing along when the national anthem comes on in the random winamp playlist while chilling out with his friends in his/her living room. And yes, you can pretend to be that guy but we all know that aint so.

I've hung out with Indians all my life even when living overseas - i've never met an Indian who carefully puts his vodka-martini down, leaps to his feet, clears his throat and starts singing along when the national anthem comes on in the random winamp playlist while chilling out with his friends in his/her living room. And yes, you can pretend to be that guy but we all know that aint so
i would turn it off or stand up.... so would most PATRIOTIC people.... but wait, u dont know its meaning....

I've hung out with Indians all my life even when living overseas - i've never met an Indian who carefully puts his vodka-martini down, leaps to his feet, clears his throat and starts singing along when the national anthem comes on in the random winamp playlist while chilling out with his friends in his/her living room. And yes, you can pretend to be that guy but we all know that aint so.
Okay what kind of an example is that? For starters tell me which friend of yours has Jana Gana Mana on his Winamp playlist? I am willing to go by your words here but are you seriously telling me that if you have met 100 overseas Indians you have had ten, five or even one friend that has Jana Gana Mana on his Winamp? Please do tell. By the way I mentioned already that I do so every single time. Not putting myself on pedestal here but since someone asked. So why is it that you are suggesting people do not do it? Those of us who feel like that behave like that, those of us that do not feel like that wait for "social" or "serious" occassions, your words not mine. xxxx

i would turn it off or stand up
Sure sure. Go earn your param-veer chakra now, o great jawan of hindustaani pride ! :lol:
so would most PATRIOTIC people
If putting one's drink down,standing up and singing along to a song while in the living room with friends is the guage of patriotism, such patriots are exceedingly rare and thankfully so ! And why turn it off ? why not just sit down, listen to it and discuss the song with your friend while its going on and figure out what raag it is in and where the taal changes (if any) are ? Oh i forgot - to you 'dikhaawa patriots', the song is now a mindless, sacred object of worship - not to be understood or appreciated in a way possible only when you realize that it is afterall just a song . It is to be deified, never to be touched again and mindlessly, robotically reacted to. Go 'patriotism' ! Thats right- Jai hind patriotism from.......where was it again ? Arkensas ? California ? Pfft.