Murthy apologises for anthem remark

sandtest

Re: Murthy apologises for anthem remark

i would turn it off or stand up
Sure sure. Go earn your param-veer chakra now, o great jawan of hindustaani pride ! :lol:
so would most PATRIOTIC people
If putting one's drink down,standing up and singing along to a song while in the living room with friends is the guage of patriotism, such patriots are exceedingly rare and thankfully so ! And why turn it off ? why not just sit down, listen to it and discuss the song with your friend while its going on and figure out what raag it is in and where the taal changes (if any) are ? Oh i forgot - to you 'dikhaawa patriots', the song is now a mindless, sacred object of worship - not to be understood or appreciated in a way possible only when you realize that it is afterall just a song . It is to be deified, never to be touched again and mindlessly, robotically reacted to. Go 'patriotism' ! Thats right- Jai hind patriotism from.......where was it again ? Arkensas ? California ? Pfft.
u dont have to get ur panties into a twist, if u r different.... it is fine, to accept tht u r one of the few, who think the anthem is jus a tune to be discussed over some liquor(ie, if u r legally over tht age), instead of standing up as a symbol of respect....

By the way I mentioned already that I do so every single time. Not putting myself on pedestal here but since someone asked. So why is it that you are suggesting people do not do it? Those of us who feel like that behave like that, those of us that do not feel like that wait for "social" or "serious" occassions, your words not mine.
According to CC - the embarrassed kid, u deserve Param Vir Chakra.... and he deserves this... clarocet.jpg

If putting one's drink down,standing up and singing along to a song while in the living room with friends is the guage of patriotism, such patriots are exceedingly rare and thankfully so ! And why turn it off ? why not just sit down, listen to it and discuss the song with your friend while its going on and figure out what raag it is in and where the taal changes (if any) are ? Oh i forgot - to you 'dikhaawa patriots', the song is now a mindless, sacred object of worship - not to be understood or appreciated in a way possible only when you realize that it is afterall just a song . It is to be deified, never to be touched again and mindlessly, robotically reacted to. Go 'patriotism' ! Thats right- Jai hind patriotism from.......where was it again ? Arkensas ? California ? Pfft.
CC, I think you are getting little disrespectful when you say you can enjoy a country's national anthem with a drink in hand. A national anthem represents the country and provides you an opportunity to respect the great people who fought for attaining freedom. I think it is morally incorrect to say that you can enjoy the music of national anthem just like any other song.

CC, I think you are getting little disrespectful when you say you can enjoy a country's national anthem with a drink in hand.
Please- spare me. I suppose all canadians are disrespectful of their national anthem too when its sung at hockey arenas and they are all boozing up and just having a jolly good time. No standing up, singing along and all that. As i said- there are occasions for those. But mindless 'automatic stand at attention' is nothing more than indoctrination.
I think it is morally incorrect to say that you can enjoy the music of national anthem just like any other song.
First and foremost its a song. National anthem second. As i said, there are occasions when its the anthem and there are occasions when its just a song.

Let me repeat my question:
How many people stood up in their offices/homes
No..... guys, dont answer this.... ur replies are not valued here.... most of u are nris and this was intended for indians in india...... dont get urself insulted after u give ur reply....

So why is it that you are suggesting people do not do it?
Fine, you may do it but surely if you do it every single time, you must realize how different you are from 99.999999999% people in this respect.
For starters tell me which friend of yours has Jana Gana Mana on his Winamp playlist?
I do and it comes up occasionally when i am playing music and i have company over.

Fine, you may do it but surely if you do it every single time, you must realize how different you are from 99.999999999% people in this respect.
CC, again unleashes his favorite weapon, - retarded statistics....

CC, again unleashes his favorite weapon, - retarded statistics....
] And Gator is yet again proving his woeful incompetence in English by failing to differentiate between a tongue-in-cheek figure of speech and factual statistics when posted. How am i not surprised. I guess perhaps there is more to the story behind your name/icon- is it a coincidence that you picked an animal with one of the lowest levels of intelligence and brain-mass ratio for your icon ? LOL just kidding !

Let me repeat my question:
How many people stood up in their offices/homes and started singing along with the foreigner in the clip that CC posted in the other thread singing Jana Gana Man?
Shwetabh, I heard it just now. I have lot of respect for that lady who actually learned a foreign language and sang it beautifully. I did not stand up and listen but I do respect the fact that we need to consider it above any other song because it represents a country's people its culture, the diversity of India and above all it gives you an unique feeling of you are still an Indian at heart. I'm of the opinion that you should stand up and sing the song not when you listen somebody singing it. I do standup when I talk to my father directly but I dont when I talk to him over the phone.

And Gator is yet again proving his woeful incompetence in English by failing to differentiate between a tongue-in-cheek figure of speech and factual statistics when posted. How am i not surprised. I guess perhaps there is more to the story behind your name/icon- is it a coincidence that you picked an animal with one of the lowest levels of intelligence and brain-mass ratio for your icon ? LOL just kidding !
is tht all u have in ur defense of retarded-stats.... :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Re: Murthy apologises for anthem remark Poor comment by Murthy here. BUT , I have a huge problem with this song itself. Tagore conveniently mentions his home state Bengal in his song and their is only a passing reference to South India . He brushes of entire south india with usage of one word "Dravida" . While describing India's geography , For god's sake, he could have used terms like "Cauvery" (ganges of the south), Deccan etc . No , but the anthem has words like "Vindya", "himalaya", "ganga", "Jamuna" , "Punjab", "Sind" , "Gujarat" etc. It hardly sounds like a National Anthem to me. :eew:

Poor comment by Murthy here. BUT ' date=' I have a huge problem with this song itself. Tagore conveniently mentions his home state Bengal in his song and their is only a passing reference to South India . He brushes of entire south india with usage of one word "Dravida" . While describing India's geography , For god's sake, he could have used terms like "Cauvery" (ganges of the south), Deccan etc . No , but the anthem has words like "Vindya", "himalaya", "ganga", "Jamuna" , "Punjab", "Sind" , "Gujarat" etc. It hardly sounds like a National Anthem to me. :eew:[/quote'] You are right. It could be a matter of ignorance or just simply intentional.

Re: Murthy apologises for anthem remark When he wrote it, he didnt write it with the intention of it becomming a national anthem. Not to mention, Dravida works way better for the rhyme than Cauvery or Tamilnad. And whats wrong with saying Dravida ? He doesnt even specifically mention the seven sister states.

When he wrote it' date=' he didnt write it with the intention of it becomming a national anthem. Not to mention, Dravida works way better for the rhyme than Cauvery or Tamilnad. [/quote'] Then it should have never become the national anthem. That's why I don't give a sh.it about this national anthem. That doesn't mean I will oppose it. It should be re-written in my opinion. Go and check the US national anthem. Their is no mention of any particular state. That makes sense to me . Not this anthem which selectively mentions certain states and north indian geographical terrain.
And whats wrong with saying Dravida ? He doesnt even specifically mention the seven sister states.
Why the heck did he mention Bengal ? Like I said, it sounds more like North Indian National Anthem because he uses words like Punjab , Gujarat , Ganga , Jamuna etc.

And whats wrong with saying Dravida ? He doesnt even specifically mention the seven sister states. Why the heck did he mention Bengal ? Like I said, it sounds more like North Indian National Anthem because he uses words like Punjab , Gujarat , Ganga , Jamuna etc.
Dravida in the national Anthem represents Dravidian Language. The principal dravidian languages has got four branches and are as follows: Northwest: Brahui, spoken in Baluchistan, Northeast: Kurukh and Malto in Bengal, Central: Telugu, Kui and Kolami-Parji, South: Tamil, Kannada, Tulu, Malayalam, Bagada, Toda, Kota and Kodagu. Nearly one quarter of India's population speaks Dravidian. Therefore South India is represented well in National Anthem by specifying Dravida.

Re: Murthy apologises for anthem remark Thanks for the honest reply HC. I wonder where the replies of the guys who were frothing and fuming about not standing when the national anthem plays on a Winamp are, though? Come on, you can lie and say that you stood up and started singing the national anthem at the top of your voices in your offices alongside the girl who was singing it!!

And whats wrong with saying Dravida ? He doesnt even specifically mention the seven sister states. Why the heck did he mention Bengal ? Like I said, it sounds more like North Indian National Anthem because he uses words like Punjab , Gujarat , Ganga , Jamuna etc.
Dravida in the national Anthem represents Dravidian Language. The principal dravidian languages has got four branches and are as follows: Northwest: Brahui, spoken in Baluchistan, Northeast: Kurukh and Malto in Bengal, Central: Telugu, Kui and Kolami-Parji, South: Tamil, Kannada, Tulu, Malayalam, Bagada, Toda, Kota and Kodagu. Nearly one quarter of India's population speaks Dravidian. Therefore South India is represented well in National Anthem by specifying Dravida.
Yeah right ! :hic: :hic: Why the heck did he have to mention Punjab, Gujarat, Bengal ,Maharashtra explicitly . Makes no sense at all. "Dravida" means zilch to me. Either scrap this selective mention of State or mention all the states in the anthem. It is ridiculous to mention only North Indian states in the National Anthem and totally brush of entire South India with one word "Dravida". Also, name one geographical terrain in south india which is present in the national anthem. He has the gall to talk about Ganga , Jamuna etc . Why the heck can't he talk about Cauvery ( ganges of the south) .

Yeah right ! :hic: :hic: Why the heck did he have to mention Punjab, Gujarat, Bengal ,Maharashtra explicitly . Makes no sense at all. "Dravida" means zilch to me. Either scrap this selective mention of State or mention all the states in the anthem. It is ridiculous to mention only North Indian states in the National Anthem and totally brush of entire South India with one word "Dravida". Also, name one geographical terrain in south india which is present in the national anthem. He has the gall to talk about Ganga , Jamuna etc . Why the heck can't he talk about Cauvery ( ganges of the south) .
KR, There could be many reasons that he skipped: To make it short, not resounding well as others, Dravida covers it all, not many big rivers as the ones mentioned many. I think it's too narrow minded approach to see it the other way. Man, You got to be the CM of Tamilnadu, they would love you to separate Tamil speaking people into one and solve the SL-LTTE issue etc. Never seen this much of a regional outlook.