Has anyone watched the film; An Inconvenient Truth ?

Predator_05

Re: Has anyone watched the film; An Inconvenient Truth ? I've watched it- i think its not sensationalistic. Infact, global warming is seriously scary. Mass migrations due to water shortage and flooding = global chaos. I don't know how anyone can think we will be okay in 50 years time by doing what we are (which is nothing, really). I think its a good potrayal of the science behind global warming but Gore is annoying sometimes by trying to score cheap political points through this movie. He keeps getting side tracked by ' i brought this up 20 years ago but nobody paid any attention coz i was only a brilliant kid fresh out of college' way too often in the movie.

Re: Has anyone watched the film; An Inconvenient Truth ? I would recommend reading 'A State of Fear' by Michael Crichton. It's presents the other side of the story about how GW is blown out of proportion and that such trends in weather were recorded back in 1800s as well.

Re: Has anyone watched the film; An Inconvenient Truth ?

I would recommend reading 'A State of Fear' by Michael Crichton. It's presents the other side of the story about how GW is blown out of proportion and that such trends in weather were recorded back in 1800s as well.
I've not read that book but i've seen a 1 hr documentary on anti-global warming by some 'scientists'. Its remarkably well composed but it has a few critical oversights that makes it ultimately an undefendable position. It fails to mention that while we've seen such trends before, they were usually a naturally contributed cycle. Ie, sometimes the earth has cooled off really big because of some mega-volcanic eruption somewhere. But how can people think that emitting trillions of tons of CO2 every year and at the same time chopping down trees at unprecedented rate ( the globe hasnt been this deforested in millions of years !) is not going to make a catastrophic difference is beyond me. The eco-system is a very fragile thing and i think humanity has already raised the CO2 content of the atmosphere by 0.5%

Re: Has anyone watched the film; An Inconvenient Truth ? Ok, this anti-global warming brigade is basically nitpicking -- and crichton is a gasbag. most 'scientists' who argue against global warming are talking about things out of their fields of expertise. nobody checks why a molecular biologist is qualified to talk about the climate, for instance. There are 2-3 main guys in the field (one at columbia, forget his name) who had objections, they have either been flat out proven wrong, or are changing their tack. in principle, gore is right on -- he gets some of the concepts wrong (esp. the C02 levels-temperature correlation stuff) -- see IPCC's latest reports, over 1000 scientists from many countries represented, and there are NO serious disputes about the human role in the warming of the environment. This is rigorous, peer-reviewed, academic discourse...And the IPCC has always 'understated' the facking issue because they want to be 'taken seriously', and the only way to do that is 'moderation'. It's unfortunate that everything has to become politicized in this piece of shit world. :mad:

Re: Has anyone watched the film; An Inconvenient Truth ? Not seen the movie yet but read parts of the book....as Vroom said not everything Gore says is accurate but there is no mistaking the bigger picture.Arent the freakin climate changes proof enough that all's not right with God's world and we humans are to blame for it.?

Re: Has anyone watched the film; An Inconvenient Truth ? The major challenge to pollution/global warming i think will be played out in Asia. There is the argument that stringent poulltion control will kill off the developing economies of China/India and that they are not capable of making the jump to non-polluting sources of energy ( lets say for once that nuclear tech. is non polluting as in the pollutants can be controlled and safely quarantined) in the near future. Either way, i think we are waking up to this one too late.

Re: Has anyone watched the film; An Inconvenient Truth ? I've watched it and I found it is not any more informing than few websites on global warming. Just because the presenter is Al Gore it is hyped quite a bit.

Re: Has anyone watched the film; An Inconvenient Truth ? I found it quite good, you can find some effort of refutation at junkscience.com, but like the name suggests, their version contains more junk :hic: Didn't watch it but heard about another attempt, the GW swindle in England I think, but the maker has already admitted that the data/graphs he used are wrong or inaccurate or outdated. But he did his job of propaganda I guess.

Either way' date=' i think we are waking up to this one too late.[/quote'] What might save us is sunspots -- there is new evidence of a 200 year cycle that superimposes itself on the 11 year solar activity cycles. We may be entering an ebb in solar activity. cosmic ray output has been increasing -- they form seeds for low-atmosphere clouds which reflect sunlight, cooling the earth. And UV production may decrease by 100x, which means less upper atmosphere reactions caused by UV photons, ie less heating of the atmosphere. there was an article in New scientist about this recently.

Re: Has anyone watched the film; An Inconvenient Truth ? What i would like to know is if the problem really is man-made (as Gore claims it is) or whether it's just another environmental problem resulting from evolution. Secondly, it was only a few decades ago when the scientific community was going on about global cooling--> http://weblog.theviewfromthecore.com/TheBlogFromTheCore20060428Lg.jpg and suddenly that supposedly irrefutable theory was abandoned long ago. Newsweek did an entire issue on it in one of their April issues, 1975. Is this current hype something similar ?

Re: Has anyone watched the film; An Inconvenient Truth ? Preds, about the global cooling there is a very good reason. IIRC, there was too much sulphate (or something like that) in the atmosphere because of pollution but it caused the cooling effect because it reflected heat/ray. So after they reduced that emission the real effect of pollution was noticeable. I guess one way you can be sure of human reason is the rate, ice ages happened before by natural causes but I think they were span over a long time, few thousands of years, but this is supposedly happening too fast, if that's true you can rule out natural causes. I'm not sure we should act so surprised given how much pollution we create.

What i would like to know is if the problem really is man-made (as Gore claims it is) or whether it's just another environmental problem resulting from evolution.
2000_Year_Temperature_Comparison.pngCarbon_Dioxide_400kyr-2.png

Re: Has anyone watched the film; An Inconvenient Truth ? Global warming is defiantely for real. I have seen this film (downloaded it actually), and I recc. it to everyone. Some of the questions above are CLEARLY answered in Gore's presentation, and I wouldn't describe it as sensasionalistic. It is realistic, and it tries to convey a sense of urgency. Don't make any judgements until you actually see it.