Do you use English at home?

head coach

Re: Do you use English at home?

Not trying to create same type of Polls here but just curious to know how many speak in their mothertongue or a lanuage other than English. .
When at home(which means with my parents, siblings etc) I use Hindi. With Indian friends it is generally a mix though I personally like to converse in Hindi/Urdu combination. It ultimately ends in a mix of Hindi/Urdu/English. Apart from Hindi/Urdu/English I can understand a bit of Bangla and Punjabi though it would take me a few years to say I really know them. Personally would like to learn more Indian languages. xxx

Re: Do you use English at home? Hehe lurker, you remind me of my Dad. The guy can speak Punjabi, Marathi, Gujarati, Oriya, Hindi, and write Punjabi, Hindi, Urdu.. Add his knowledge French and Italian into the mix, and I wonder why I got such a warped-accent

Hehe lurker' date=' you remind me of my Dad. The guy can speak Punjabi, Marathi, Gujarati, Oriya, Hindi, and write Punjabi, Hindi, Urdu.. Add his knowledge French and Italian into the mix, and I wonder why I got such a warped-accent[/quote'] Thats impressive Varun. Gujrati and Oriya are on complete opposite end of spectrum. How did he get to know them? I am impressed that your Dad can write in Punjabi/Hindi/Urdu. I bet he would be a fan of quality writings perhaps. I kinda envy him really. Punjabi/Urdu literature is very rich and I wish I could read/write them :Cry::Cry: maybe one day... xxx

Re: Do you use English at home? Yeah he grew up in Meerut before the partition, so the Urdu was a given. We're punjabi, so that's a given too. He was in the army and we travelled a lot, and he's got a penchant for languages and never ceases to learn. I envy him too :wtg:

Re: Do you use English at home? I've updated the poll to include my choice. A mixture of Hindi+English at home. Speak in English interspersed with Hindi with my paternal cousins and almost completely in Hindi with my maternal cousins.

I've updated the poll to include my choice. A mixture of Hindi+English at home. Speak in English interspersed with Hindi with my paternal cousins and almost completely in Hindi with my maternal cousins.
Tks Gambit for updating it.

Gambit you updated after I voted me can understand a bit of punjabi becoz of parents, gujrati becoz of roommate, bengali becoz of friends would like to learn more :hmph:
Saanu tainu bhi ishaq vishaq hai gaya mundya? Yeh kya kya sign bana liya..sher-o-shayari! I should have known the moment you started talking about cooking :hic:

i have seen lot of hispanics here in usa' date=' born here in usa, but speak perfect spanish too.. they have pride, feeling of nationalism.... OTH, lot of Desis dont have that much pride perhapz.. and hence are so called "ABCD" but then this case is exceptional for some ppl,[/quote'] I am an "ABCD" (whatever the f*ck that stands for) but i can speak FLUENT hindi. My parents always spoke to me in hindi, and i always converse with them in hindi whenever i am visiting them at home or talking to 'em on the phone.

Re: Do you use English at home? All of us at home can understand and speak Hindi, but we just don't speak it. I can understand Marathi and Punjabi (had a bunch of Punjabi friends in college). Some Urdu also. Did 3 years of French in college in Bombay, so I can read and write some, but can't speak for nuts lol