What's the reason for this allergy towards the upcoming Ind vs SL Test series?

It's almost everywhere on how it's becoming an overkill. Can't Indian fans analyze things from India's perspective? Ok, let's have a look - 1. The most important point is that India lost it's last Test series played in Sri Lanka. It's a blessing for us fans that another series there has been organized in just a couple of years time. I never thought at that time that it would be possible. 2. Forget about our last Test series there, tell me when was the last time we won a Test series in Sri Lanka? I don't remember. A Test series victory away from home is something to be treasured for lifetime. Sri Lanka, South Africa and Australia are the only Test nations where we have yet to win a Test series. We have got the opportunity to strike off Sri Lanka from that list this time. 3. From the perspective of Tendulkar fans (which includes his biggest fan, yours truly:--D) - Do you know what major accomplishments are left for our man to accomplish? Here are they: i) Word Cup victory - He'll get the chance next year. ii) Test series victory in Sri Lanka (here's his chance), South Africa (he'll get the chance later this year), Australia (he'll get the chance next year) and West Indies (he'll get the chance next year). From all the above perspective, I'm over the moon that this India vs Sri Lanka Test series is taking place. Would have probably loathed it if it happened in India, but the very fact that Sri Lanka is hosting it makes me love it. Yet, I see articles upon articles, comments upon comments on how it's becoming an overkill, blah!

Test series played in Sri Lanka are generally not very exciting to watch with hardly any crowd and typically being one sided affairs with whoever winning the toss having a great advantage. But I agree with you, this is a very important series for us. If we win this one , then a major monkey of not winning a series in SL is off. Plus it would help us consolidate our position at the top of the test table. Hopefully the wickets will be similar to the tracks SL had for the test series vs Pakistan. As for the apparent lack of interest among Indian fans, well let Viru start smashing a few 4s and all the excitement will be back.

Test series played in Sri Lanka are generally not very exciting to watch with hardly any crowd and typically being one sided affairs with whoever winning the toss having a great advantage. But I agree with you, this is a very important series for us. If we win this one , then a major monkey of not winning a series in SL is off. Plus it would help us consolidate our position at the top of the test table.
That's my point. We have a chance of accomplishing something extremely major. I couldn't care less of whether it's boring or not. Every time I argue with a critic, I have to hear the same old garbage of how India hasn't won a Test series in SL, SA and Aus. It's beyond annoying. If we somehow manage to win every upcoming events that I've mentioned in the original thread post, there won't be a finger raised at our team or Tendulkar from a proper critic, one that uses facts.

Speaking for myself, I am very excited about the series. So, probably don't qualify in the target group of your OP. However, just to correct a factual inaccuracy we have won a series in Sri Lanka with Tendulkar in the side in '93. And no, they were not minnows then, in fact they have never been minnows at the Bangladesh level. Unlike Bangladesh, Sri Lanka have always had a rich tradition of cricket. Even during the 30s and 50s touring sides used to stop and play a match at Ceylon. Lurker is one of Sri Lankan cricket fans and knows much more about their rich tradition than I do. But they've always had at least a couple of world class bowlers and batsmen in their team. It's pretty remarkable than they got test status so late because if Bangladesh are the benchmark they should have always been a test playing nation. EDIT : Here is one of Lurker's posts about Sri Lankan cricket : http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?p=746636post746636

Its time we had an away series' date=' we are playing the same countries that too inside the sub-continent over and over again:(([/quote'] Have patience my friend. Once the home series vs NZ ends in November, we won't be playing a home series for nearly 10-11 months! SA (3 tests in SA), WI (4 tests in WI), Eng (4 tests in Eng), then a 3 test series at home vs WI, and off to Australia for a 4 test series. So between Dec 2010 to Feb 2012 (in 15 months), we would have played 15 away tests and 3 home tests! Add to it the possibility of a test series vs Pakistan (in England or UAE) which given the government clearance, BCCI will schedule at the first given opportunity.
The only way this will be a dull series is if they prepare roads. As long as the wicket assists the bowlers a bit' date=' this will a very interesting series.[/quote'] In the last 10-12 years, test pitches in Lanka have produced results. Barring a few occassions, not too many test matches are boring draws (barring those which get spoilt due to excessive rain). All 6 tests on our last 2 visits to Lanka have produced results and the series has been decided on the 4th/5th day of the last tests of bth the series.
The only thing that I dread about cricket in SL is that utterly grating band-baja that plays non-stop in the stands :mad: . I can stand a day of Boycott' date=' Tavare and Dravid but not that effing band-baja.[/quote'] Ohh..you know test cricket better than to quote piece of crap Tavare in the same lines as Boycott and Dravid. :mad: