WTF just happened ?

CC1981

Re: WTF just happened ? Terrible tragedy. Any reason why these almost always seem to happen on the North East coast of US, or Midwest? I mean I could be wrong but I havent heard too many incidents like this in Florida/California..or the heartland(Texas, Arizona etc etc). Personally speaking I spent 2 years in the region(WI, MI, NYC) and ran away never to go back again. The cold weather coupled with darkness 24*7 made me depressed for nothing. Drive to work and its dark, come hom and its dark...who the hell needs that.. Has there been such incident in other part of USA? College students/researchers help me out here.

Re: WTF just happened ?

Terrible tragedy. Any reason why these almost always seem to happen on the North East coast of US, or Midwest? I mean I could be wrong but I havent heard too many incidents like this in Florida/California..or the heartland(Texas, Arizona etc etc). Personally speaking I spent 2 years in the region(WI, MI, NYC) and ran away never to go back again. The cold weather coupled with darkness 24*7 made me depressed for nothing. Drive to work and its dark, come hom and its dark...who the hell needs that.. Has there been such incident in other part of USA? College students/researchers help me out here.
The last time this happened on a University campus was in 1966; some place in Texas. There were 16 fatalities.

Swets' date=' the problem isnt that lunatics can get hold of guns. The problem is lunatics exist in the first place..if this lunatic had no gun, he'd be knifing or poisoning people's water supplies...the gun, poison,knife, etc are all just a tool...the issue is why do people go on such murderous rampages in the North American schooling system in the first place.[/quote'] Sure, the basic problem is the existence of lunatics in the first place but strict gun control measures can no doubt reduce these kind of incidents: 1. How many people would that person have been able to harm with a knife? Hardly any. Poisioning the school's water supply is not a joke either. There is security which needs to be broken. Finding potent poison is also a hugely difficult task. Guns are simple, show your ID buy and gun and ammunition and start shooting. 2. Moreover, the glamour associated with the blood and gore of firing an automatic weapon is not there in a more cold blooded and calculated attack like poisoning which might even be more effective but remember these guys dont only do it to kill people but for the theatrical effect and the way our society is structured, guns provide that effect much more than other means. Obviously, much needs to be done to prevent these lunatics from coming into existence but to claim that strict gun control will not have any effect is not correct either, IMO.

Finding potent poison is also a hugely difficult task.
It is a hugely difficult task for a common average person but for a university student, its VERY EASY if they know the right people. For eg, i can, if i wanted to, get hold of enough cyanide to poison entire water system of a school..
2. Moreover, the glamour associated with the blood and gore of firing an automatic weapon is not there in a more cold blooded and calculated attack like poisoning which might even be more effective but remember these guys dont only do it to kill people but for the theatrical effect and the way our society is structured, guns provide that effect much more than other means.
I think that is pure speculation. As rajeev said, we dont know squat about these kind of 'shooty shooty seemingly normal but explodes at moment's notice' people. They are killed before we can know much about them..but i dont think glamour is an issue. Issue is the fear factor and shock/awe along with taking out people you want to...besides, gun control is kind of meaningless anyways. If you were pissed off enough to wanna kill 30 people with a gun, you will get hold of a gun in practically any country on this planet.
whereas people wouldn't mind taking on a guy with just a knife.
So if i break into your house weilding a rambo-knife that i am holding like Rambo (ie, parallel to my forearm, blade down), you are gonna take me on ? :eek:

It is a hugely difficult task for a common average person but for a university student, its VERY EASY if they know the right people. For eg, i can, if i wanted to, get hold of enough cyanide to poison entire water system of a school..
Its not that simple. I have friends who work in Chemistry labs and all these chemicals are strictly regulated. They have to be checked out with authorization from your advisor. Missing Cyainide or the likes will be noted instantly even if you do manage to smuggle some out which itself is very unlikely. Bottom line is that you need multiple accomplices to do this and they wont be easy to find.
I think that is pure speculation. As rajeev said, we dont know squat about these kind of 'shooty shooty seemingly normal but explodes at moment's notice' people. They are killed before we can know much about them..but i dont think glamour is an issue. Issue is the fear factor and shock/awe along with taking out people you want to...besides, gun control is kind of meaningless anyways. If you were pissed off enough to wanna kill 30 people with a gun, you will get hold of a gun in practically any country on this planet.
It might be partly speculation but a lot of lunatics like this do it for the theatre. And regardless of it being speculation, why would you hesitate to clamp down on by far the easiest and simplist means to achieve this. If someone is hell bent on buying cocaine, he is going to obtain it but that does not mean you legalize it.
So if i break into your house weilding a rambo-knife that i am holding like Rambo (ie, parallel to my forearm, blade down), you are gonna take me on ?
Maybe not but if that Rambo walks in in a dorm with 100 students he just might get his a$$ handed to him.

Missing Cyainide or the likes will be noted instantly even if you do manage to smuggle some out which itself is very unlikely.
Yah, it'd be noted within a few hours...but the point is,its very easy to steal and once its missing, its very hard to track it or find it quickly.
why would you hesitate to clamp down on by far the easiest and simplist means to achieve this
Because by clamping down, I the benevolent gun-owner who likes to go to the range once in a while and shoot off piddly .22 rounds would be denied the chance to do this because of nutters abusing their priviledges.

Re: WTF just happened ? How terrible??? The place of education isn't safe in US of A. To be honest I haven't seen a gun in this part of the world. Seriously, I've never seen one. I cannot understand how teens and students can get hold of a gun in the first place. I was watching Discovery the other day and they did mention the last teen shooting in a school in US was inspired by the video game "DOOM". This is way too stupid and there are a lot of lunatics in that part of the world if incidents such as these are happening this frequently.

So if i break into your house weilding a rambo-knife that i am holding like Rambo (ie, parallel to my forearm, blade down), you are gonna take me on ? :eek:
If there are 20 of us in a classroom, hell yeah. The main thing is the reach here yeah.. You are limited to how far you can attack with just a knife.

Yah, it'd be noted within a few hours...but the point is,its very easy to steal and once its missing, its very hard to track it or find it quickly.
It is NOT easy to obtain as I explained in my previous post.
Because by clamping down, I the benevolent gun-owner who likes to go to the range once in a while and shoot off piddly .22 rounds would be denied the chance to do this because of nutters abusing their priviledges.
Go and rent it at the range and return it when done.

The last time this happened on a University campus was in 1966; some place in Texas. There were 16 fatalities.
So there goes my theory of weather-related depression right down the toilet :roll:
Not really, same thing happened in Motreal too, Indian Sikh who was into goth shot his classmates But I agree with ya, after moving to the west coast of Canada, I am way more relaxed and less frustrated when I was in a s*hit hole like toronto

Re: WTF just happened ? Critics of the less stringent gun laws in parts of the USA should read this;

http://www.gunowners.org/sk0703.htm 2. Fact: Gun control has done nothing to keep crime rates from rising in many of the nations that have imposed severe firearms restrictions. * Australia: Readers of the USA Today newspaper discovered in 2002 that, "Since Australia's 1996 laws banning most guns and making it a crime to use a gun defensively, armed robberies rose by 51%, unarmed robberies by 37%, assaults by 24% and kidnappings by 43%. While murders fell by 3%, manslaughter rose by 16%."2 * Canada: After enacting stringent gun control laws in 1991 and 1995, Canada has not made its citizens any safer. "The contrast between the criminal violence rates in the United States and in Canada is dramatic," says Canadian criminologist Gary Mauser in 2003. "Over the past decade, the rate of violent crime in Canada has increased while in the United States the violent crime rate has plummeted." 3 * England: According to the BBC News, handgun crime in the United Kingdom rose by 40% in the two years after it passed its draconian gun ban in 1997.4 6. Fact: The United States has experienced far fewer TOTAL MURDERS than Europe does over the last 70 years. In trying to claim that gun-free Europe is more peaceful than America, gun control advocates routinely ignore the overwhelming number of murders that have been committed in Europe. * Over the last 70 years, Europe has averaged about 400,000 murders per year, when one includes the murders committed by governments against mostly unarmed people.17 That murder rate is about 16 times higher than the murder rate in the U.S.18 http://www.gunowners.org/sk0702.htm 1. Fact: Twice as many children are killed playing football in school than are murdered by guns. That's right. Despite what media coverage might seem to indicate, there are more deaths related to high school football than guns. In a recent three year period, twice as many football players died from hits to the head, heat stroke, etc. (45), as compared with students who were murdered by firearms (22) during that same time period.1 2. Fact: More children will die in a car, drown in a pool, or choke on food than they will by firearms. As seen by the chart on the previous page, children are at a 2,000 percent greater risk from the car in their driveway, than they are by the gun in their parents' closet. Children are almost 7 times more likely to drown than to be shot, and they are 130 percent more likely to die from choking on their dinner.2 3. Fact: Accidental gun deaths among children have declined by over 50 % in 25 years, even though the population (and the gun stock) has continued to increase.3 4. Fact: Despite the low number of gun accidents among children, most of these fatalities are not truly "accidents." According to Dr. Gary Kleck, many such accidents are misnamed -- those "accidents" actually resulting from either suicides or extreme cases of child abuse.4 Dr. Kleck also notes that, "Accidental shooters were significantly more likely to have been arrested, arrested for a violent act, arrested in connection with alcohol, involved in highway crashes, given traffic citations, and to have had their driver's license suspended or revoked."5
...and consider the fact that removing guns from our general populace will only to empower criminals as a result by making their livs all the more simpler. Ever noticed how the areas of the US with lowest rates of robbery, burglary and gun crime are typically states without stringent gun control ? If you're an idiot who wants to break into a house in New Hampshire, Florida, Maine, Texas etc, it's obvious that the occupant will have the chance to defend themselves with deadly force. Compare this to New York (gun control has done f*ck all here, i know for a fact), Chicago etc. the occupants will in most cases be completely defenseless. The percentage of gun crime committed by law abiding citizens is miniscule compared to the # of countless shootings caused by criminals with illegal weapons. Gun control has no affect on them or the proliferation of illegal weapons whatsoever.

That's why I never went to Amreeka :hic: Kaliyug hai ghor kaliyug hai :doh:
Bhaiya, India bhi kuch khaas nahin hai - ever bothered reading through your daily HT, TOI, or Express ? Some of the most horrific crimes are mentioned in small paragraphs in the corner of the pages; which just goes out to show you the magnitude of criminal activity in IND. Women getting pulled off the street into cars with tinted glass and being r@ped inside while driven...that kind of sh*t would never happen here, even in the darkest neighborhoods of Brooklyn. Hell, in New Delhi i'd never let my grandmother go anywhere by herself and she usually doesn't. Again, not the case in NY

Re: WTF just happened ? Here in London, its pretty bad, but mostley happens in isolated areas. The problem here isn't guns, becuase you aren't allowed to carry them, the problem is knives, atleast once a week there is a story in the papers or a headline in the news, about a young teenager getting stabed. The World will always be like this wherever and whenever you go.