Should Rahul Dravid retire now???

I came on here knewing such a stupid thread would exist, things havent gone his way recently (just look at how he got out today) but as pointed out his average over the last yr has been up there with the best. He still has the fitness and game and is one of our key test players, if he went ud have UV in...i know who id rather have especially with his experience/slip catching which he contributes. Look at how Ganguly went, playing the best cricket of his life i.e. Aus series, and you can say he went out on a high, but i believe he went far too early. Young batsmen are still being given a chance i.e. Raina, Rohit, Kohli n Vijay.

Legend Dravid to hit the winning runs anyone:--D
This is laughable to say the least. the last time i remember dravid hitting the winning runs was some 4-5 years back in adelaide in tests.Get over it man. Dravid is done and we need to move on. Kohli or pujara perhaps should be there in south african tour as a back up to Dravid , in case he fails continuously.

Murali Vijay, Yuvraj Singh & MS Dhoni can escape the attention of the critics when they perform miserably in a series. Dravid, VVS & Sachin, despite being the legends they are, cannot. How fair is it to someone who has dedicated over 15 years of his life to the country and won us countless games? Why don't I see any thread asking for Vijay or Gambhir to be dropped?

I came on here knewing such a stupid thread would exist, things havent gone his way recently (just look at how he got out today) but as pointed out his average over the last yr has been up there with the best. He still has the fitness and game and is one of our key test players, if he went ud have UV in...i know who id rather have especially with his experience/slip catching which he contributes. Look at how Ganguly went, playing the best cricket of his life i.e. Aus series, and you can say he went out on a high, but i believe he went far too early. Young batsmen are still being given a chance i.e. Raina, Rohit, Kohli n Vijay.
Four biggest away series for India and Dravid's performance has been poor. Last series in SA -> avg 21 Last series in Eng -> avg 25 Last series in Aus -> avg 35 Series against SL -> avg 19 any stupid player can perform in india. am sure its time to hang his boots now and let Pujara or any other youngster come in.
Four biggest away series for India and Dravid's performance has been poor. Last series in SA -> avg 21 Last series in Eng -> avg 25 Last series in Aus -> avg 35 Series against SL -> avg 19 any stupid player can perform in india. am sure its time to hang his boots now and let Pujara or any other youngster come in.
wat about NZ?
Murali Vijay, Yuvraj Singh & MS Dhoni can escape the attention of the critics when they perform miserably in a series. Dravid, VVS & Sachin, despite being the legends they are, cannot. How fair is it to someone who has dedicated over 15 years of his life to the country and won us countless games? Why don't I see any thread asking for Vijay or Gambhir to be dropped?
Beacuse they are young.dravid is old and player like him should retire instead of getting dropprd. he is just a liability to a team.he is no more reliable.I think pujara should replace him. p.s sachin and laxman are playing excellent cricket though laxman looked bit out of touch in thid series.

Look, Dravid has been stellar in his career. He'll be the first one to resign himself if he thinks he is not up to it. But I felt that he was having some technical issue and he should discuss it out with Gary. He gets out to deliveries by playing close to his body. In this series and in the coming series against Aus and SA, he should'nt play at No.3 unless he is in good form. He was not in good form in this series and he should'nt have been allowed to bat at no 3 and screwing up the batting by making low scores. He should come down the order now till he gains form or retires..

His career average was like 57 at one point and now is at 53. 3 of the last 4 years average below 40. don't tell me he isn't on a decline.
His average used to be about 58.8 before the Test series in S.A. in 2006. It went down to about 52.12 by the end of 2008. Last year he played brilliantly and that average jumped to almost 54. Now it's back to below 53.

Yaaron, this talk of averages is very misleading..Yes, individual players have very good or decent averages. What we have to do with those averages? Dice into pieces and make a nice curry? Just win the matches or atleast save the matches for India at the hour of need..Today all it needed was not runs but to play out remaining overs as a responsible No. 3 batsman...What will you do with averages? Why can't we talk about Sachin's average? Why do we expect always that HE WILL WIN THE MATCH? Why can't we expect that from Dravid. to atleast win some matches now. Sachin is not getting any younger than Dravid or VVS. Then why these averages BS is thrown up whenever Dravid's or VVS's batting is questioned? Is it a crime to expect big 100s from these two against tough opponents now a days?

We will need Rahul in SA so hopefully he can find form against Australia and New Zealand. Regular top level cricket will benefit him. This was his first Test series in six months and maybe the higher intensity has told.
To be honest, he hasn't looked out of touch. He just hasn't managed to get the big score. I mean let's compare Tendulkar in two of the Test series from the past - 1. Test series vs Pak (2006) - You could tell first hand he was completely out of sorts. 2. Test series vs S.L. (2008)- He scored less runs than even the above mentioned Pak Test series. Yet you could see that he wasn't out of touch or troubled, he just didn't get that big score.
To be honest, he hasn't looked out of touch. He just hasn't managed to get the big score. I mean let's compare Tendulkar in two of the Test series from the past - 1. Test series vs Pak (2006) - You could tell first hand he was completely out of sorts. 2. Test series vs S.L. (2008)- He scored less runs than even the above mentioned Pak Test series. Yet you could see that he wasn't out of touch or troubled, he just didn't get that big score.
Yes, that could be the case, Bublu, unfortunately I haven't been able to catch much of this series. But what you say about him looking good but not converting ties into my point about the higher intensity of Test cricket - you need that extra bit of match sharpness even when you are batting well when it comes to the highest level, and Dravid had a six month gap between playing Bangla (who themselves are short of Test class anyways) and this series.
He is 38 thats y he is playing badly.ponting is also going through same time.Only special players like sachin can score in three figures in this age.

Dravid is perfectly alright. If he has the desire to push on, he will. I dont think the selectors will drop him. Even in this innings, he was cover driving with panache and defending with gusto. He did commit a mistake by having an angle bat and playing beside the ball rather than behind it when he got out. But it happens.