What is freedom to you?

kabira

Freedom is perhaps something which we abuse day in and day out. What does it mean by being Free? Is Democracy another name of Freedom? Should I have freedom to * Smoke marijuana freely *Drive at 100 mph whenever I like? *Say whatever I like? Perhaps we take our freedom for granted and only realize when we lose it. There has been lot of bloodshed for freedom. Two of my favorites movie are Braveheart which was freedom struggle and Gladiator which was about maintening your freedom. Most of us were born in free country and never seen slavery as such. I had no clue about freedom until I saw movie "Ghulami". What a movie. People (Teacher, Army Officer and Farmer) coming together to fight for their freedom. Lot of indians I know really like freedom offered by USA/UK, free from day to day corruption, free from bureaucracy, free from religious taboos.. So what is this freedom?

Re: What is freedom to you? Beautiful Tagore Poem --------------------------- This is what truly free country be? Where the mind is without fear and the head is held high; Where knowledge is free; Where the world has not been broken up into fragments by narrow domestic walls; Where words come out from the depth of truth; Where tireless striving stretches its arms towards perfection; Where the clear stream of reason has not lost its way into the dreary desert sand of dead habit; Where the mind is led forward by thee into ever-widening thought and action--- Into that heaven of freedom, my Father, let my country awake.

Re: What is freedom to you? Wow... such a nice poetry. Well..Freedom me come at different level. Do I have a freedom? Well I want freedom from those who rule me and my country I want freedom from those who feed me, my Rozi-roti I want freedom from those who guide me, negative religions and their fanaticism.

Re: What is freedom to you? According to me mostly people judge freedom by comparison...keeping one place and it's citizens as a standard for guaging the freedom of another locality. Though I tend to agree that in modern time, freedom is all about happyness But from another angles that happyness is a state of mind and it has got no limits. In another words...happiness is mostly realised through sensual pleasures and satisfaction of our own wills,ego etc....and our senses can never feel completely happy...I mean there is no end to it. So, I don't know If at any given time, a man will feel that he is living under complete 'freedom' or not?