ATTN: Doctors and Psychiatrists..

zubinpepsi

guys, one of my close friend is said to be suffering from depression (thts wat her councellor said and adviced her to psychiatrist). the psychiatrist asked her some series of qns and told her tht shes been in depression for few yrs and its neither in the advance stage nor in the beginning stage.... I knew her quite well .. though i know tht shes unhappy abt her life but never tot to b depression ( heck how many ppl r happy abt their life).... I cudnt read the signs probably.. i was curious to know how the doc came to the conclusion...apparently it was the qn"have u ever tot of doign a suicide?" .. and she had said tht suicide came to her tots but she never tried... hence they said shes in depression and prescribed an anti-depressant "Fluoxetine 20mg" well i always had some apprehension over using such medicines as it becomes addictive and makes u loose control of u when u stop taking tht.. i did some googling on this and came across this in wikipedia... as expected there r some side effects in it.. my qn is: 1.If a tot of suicide comes to u, does it mean ur depression and u have to take anti-depressants? i find it bit ridiculous.. cuz i find my friend normal human being who jokes and b happy during good times and shes unhappy when tots abt her problems in life come.. but its quite normal isnt it?? hence i have been advicing her not to take those and wait for sometime.. i really dont know whether this is right r not... i honestly think she has been ill-advised on this and im afraid use of depressant might endanger her normal routine life.. can anyone who has knowledge on this, pls throw some light on depression and use of anti-depressants...how to find if someone is in depression and in what level of depression he is in.. i know without knowing the patient's case its tough to say whether shes in depression r not.. but jus wanna have an idea abt this. Many Thanks in Advance..

Re: ATTN: Doctors and Psychiatrists.. Zubin, As Shwetab suggested it would be worth taking her to another Doctor for a second opinion. If she needs medication then taking it would be good. But your understanding of the side effects are true. I'm familiar of side effects caused by antidepression drugs sold in US. I'm not a Doctor either so please get help from an expert.

Re: ATTN: Doctors and Psychiatrists.. ummm .. yeah i ll wask her to go for a 2nd opinion.. but the strange thing is, the doc dint tell her anything abt the side-effects..isnt tht a duty of a doctor to also say smthing abt the side-effects to the patients..

Re: ATTN: Doctors and Psychiatrists.. ZP. I am no Pschycologist but I would say that if you want a good opinion you should give a bit of detail about this person. You know her age, marital status, how much stress he has in her day to day life, any unfortunate incidences, career and so on. From what I could glean from your thread you stressed more on the suicide angle and my response is towards that. Suicide thoughts are very common in most people. I do not want to downplay thoughts of suicide but the fact is that most people, if not all, shall in their lifetime have occassions where they just feel very helpless. People reach differently in such situations; while some people may sit back and dont care if they lose their life tomorrow, others start entertaining their thoughts of taking it. The latter is specially true for females. If your friend had this thought of suicide only once or twice and never followed even a fraction of it then she is okay. Look at it this way. Say a woman wants to commit suicide. The way she comes up with is to slash her wrist by a blade. Now if she buys a blade, then walks to the bathroom, looks in the mirror and then drops the idea..well there is a problem. She didnt kill herself but she did make an effort. If she lay in the bathtub with blade in hand then she has a problem, again she is making an effort. However if she never bought a blade, never went to the store then it is more like an imagination. You will have to ask her candid questions to get the answers. Second opinion is always good. Good luck :wtg: xxx

Re: ATTN: Doctors and Psychiatrists.. Thanks Lurker for a detailed reply.. well i know her pretty well.. and i wud rate her in the 3rd category where she never tried anything jus tot of doign a suicide which is very commmon i would.. the reason y i focussed on suicide angel is, i came to know that her suicide tots made them(counsellor n doctor) to assume tht she has depression... thts y im very pissed off with her counsellor and the doctor... how on earth they say her shes in intermediate depression level.. to b in intermediate its some serious stuff.. i would have seriously known tht... and moreover they havent given any advice on the sideeffects of the anti-depressant. when i told her abt the side-effects she has no clue abt tht... anyway ill ask her to go for 2nd opinion to b safe...