Enthiran/Robot

SachDan

There is a reason why Rajnikanth did not make it big or even close to big in the rest of India. He is a regional hero or a superstar if you want to put it that way. He managed to win hearts all over south India but that does not mean that rest of Indians also like him as much as people in down south. Talking of regional heros, there are many regional superstars in Punjab, Gujarat etc. but that doesn't mean that the whole of India like their movies. Shahrukh Khan's acting offers something or other to everyone around the country hence he is a superstar of Bollywood. Rajni is nothing but a hero of Tollywood and no one gives fark about tollywood except south Indians. There is no comparison between SRK and Rajni because SRK is far ahead and Rajni will never reach where SRK has reached. You can't just call SRK less talented because you want to make Rajni look better. ps. I am neither a fan of SRK or Rajni
Irony of your post is that most of the Hindi movie watching population on this board hates SRK and his acting. :hysterical: ps: I am a big fan of SRK :winky:

There is a reason why Rajnikanth did not make it big or even close to big in the rest of India. He is a regional hero or a superstar if you want to put it that way. He managed to win hearts all over south India but that does not mean that rest of Indians also like him as much as people in down south. Talking of regional heros, there are many regional superstars in Punjab, Gujarat etc. but that doesn't mean that the whole of India like their movies. Shahrukh Khan's acting offers something or other to everyone around the country hence he is a superstar of Bollywood. Rajni is nothing but a hero of Tollywood and no one gives fark about tollywood except south Indians. There is no comparison between SRK and Rajni because SRK is far ahead and Rajni will never reach where SRK has reached. You can't just call SRK less talented because you want to make Rajni look better. ps. I am neither a fan of SRK or Rajni
why u r lecturing me about SRK,did i say anything about him.I was talking about Salman the ultimate crap,i heard that his latest movie had a huge initial.If thats possible Rajini's movies can get huge initial too. SRK is talented than Rajini.I know that.

The problem seems that some of you guys have already made up your mind that Rajni is crap. So by sheer guilt-by-association, whoever is a fan of him should have lost their marbles as well. Hopefully, you’ll realize that it doesn’t work that way in the world of cinema. Its about capturing people’s imagination and giving them something that entertains them, in a package that they can relate with. And irrespective of the dubious/questionable quality of the material he produces, Rajni seems to have somehow figured this elusive combination out. If just doing fancy cigarette tricks alone would make a movie blockbuster hits, we’d have such silver jubilee heroes in every 2nd street. The fact of the matter is, this man has figured out something about people psychology that we all don’t seem to understand. If anything, his stunning success for over 3 decades should be topic of a scientific study, rather than be subject of ridicule. And oh btw, before anyone thinks Rajni is only a Southie-only phenomenon, you guys should check his popularity out in Japan.. (Yes, you heard it right, JAPAN). He’s a massive star there and his films are a huge draw in that country. Coincidence, much? :giggle:
Well said. Japanese must have lost their marbles too according to them.

SRK ( even though I dont like him anymore ) is famous around the world ( lot of fans in Middle East ), Amitabh has had a following since 80's so there's nothing new about Rajni being famous in Japan. Infact, I have a co-worker from Yemen who was a Mithun Fan from the 80's

I'm sorry, what ? Being a non-southie, even I am aware that SRK is next to nothing in front of Rajni in South India and that's the truth. The manner in which you "don't give a fark about tollywood", our brothers in south India too stick up their middle finger to Hindi movies. Rajni did try to set his foot in Hindi movies, but it didn't work out for him; so he stuck with regional movies making more money than anyone in Asia (per movie salary per se). Another thing is, you guys are comparing a actor who has mastered regional dialect (it's not his mother tongue) and conquered the regional crowd who find it easy to connect with the actor because he speaks their language, whereas SRK connects with people who understand his language; simple as that. How hard is it to understand that Rajni is BIGGER than anyone in South India ? And let's just not compare the popularity overseas, please. I mean producers and the big bucks spenders are not stupid enough to lash out crores and crores on a actor "who is *** ugly and is bloody 60 years old" (not my opinion btw), every time Rajni decides to go in front of the camera. He assures them that they'll get their investment back with hefty profit, so they do not hesitate working with Rajni.

Oh btw, I tried to watch the much hyped Sivaji (in blu-ray :woot: :D) after my friends persuaded me to watch it. I couldn't sit for more than an hour (maybe because I had to read the subtitles), but few of my friends actually caught that movie atleast 3-4 times in theatres. I mean it's their money and their preference, why should I be bothered ? :dontknow:

For people who keep saying that Bollywood and SRK is known around the world, is it really true?. Yes, bollywood is known as the producers of most number of movies in the world, which is not true. Bollywood + Tamil + Telugu+ Bengali + everything else makes most number of movies in the world. Basically Indian movies are known as Bollywood movies outside the indian diaspora. Shah ruk khan, is he really known outside the indian diaspora? Freida pinto is probably more popular than him. Rajini is really popular in Tamilnadu, Andhra, Karnataka, Sri lanka, Singapore, Malaysia and Middle-east but most of them are tamil diaspora spread around. Just because a few japanese loves his movies, just like a few Caucasians love shah ruk, it doesnt make them "known around the world". Shah ruk khan movies on an average probably makes more than Rajini's movies (but Shivaji has grossed more than SRK's biggest hit acc. to sketchy wiki sources) but that is due to the number of tamil movie watches compared to hindi movie watchers. Just because hangover grossed much more than any bollywood movie, it doesnt make bradley cooper a bigger star than SRK.

http://www.planetbollywood.com/displayArticle.php?id=n062308105823 Just an example, hindi movies have been famous in most middle eastern countries. I dont have a graph or stat but met quiet a few who have seen movies of Raj Kapoor, Amitabh and then SRK. Now, u obviously won't find Americans, Brits, Aussies, Kwis as they generally would see Hollywood as would rest of the world but SRK is exposed a lot but are we talking pure gora crowd?

Oh btw' date=' I tried to watch the much hyped Sivaji (in blu-ray :woot: :D) after my friends persuaded me to watch it. I couldn't sit for more than an hour (maybe because I had to read the subtitles), but few of my friends actually caught that movie atleast 3-4 times in theatres. I mean it's their money and their preference, why should I be bothered ? :dontknow:[/quote'] Offocurse it's their preference ( jeez feels like a different country ) but tell me really u don't wonder abt movies like ROBOT - coz u know how it's gonna be

Nothing better than a good nothie-vs southie fight in the morning....especially with Moriz, bibi and transparent posting long essays.:popcorn: I believe in respecting each other. South Indian cinema and Hindi cinema have existed in their respective areas for years and will continue to do so. I have watched some of the big south stars (Rajani, venkatesh, arvind swami etc) in some Hindi movies and I have not liked them much and it looks almost impossible that such seemingly "talentless and idiotic" (attempting to explain what north fans generally feel) guys could be so popular in some part of the world and that leads to the belief that south Indian film lovers are fools. However, in my opinion, most south Indian actors have failed in Hindi movies because of bad characterization in the movies. When we go and watch a Rajanikant playing a role like Amitabh Bachhan usually played those days, we can immediately see that he is not fitting in with his mannerisms, accent and body language of a south Indian that are so different from a typical north Indian hero because of the subtle cultural differences. A Rajanikanth is asked to show a lot of style to lure the north Indian audience in a Hindi movie, but it would take years of training to be able to overcome the habits and fit easily into a role of a north Indian hero with the pergfect body language and accept. We cant pin point whats wrong, but we know that the guy is just not fitting in. The very reason why a Hindi film star will look very odd if asked to play a typical central character in a Hollywood movies. Imagine SRK in Mission impossible series in place of Tom Cruise. Or imagine Akshay Kumar in place of Matt Damon in the Bourne series. We ourselves will reject them just like we have rejected the south Indian actors in Hindi movies. However, lets look at a south Indian actor that I liked in a Hindi movie- Mohan Lal in Company. What Ramu did there is that he did not ask Mohan Lal to play a typical North Indian. In stead, he was asked to play a south Indian working in Mumbai police. He did not have to change his accent or body language. And all of a sudden, he looked good and his talent came out. We, as audiences, were not expecting to see him as a north Indian anymore. As our expectations were set right, we looked right through the imperfect accent and body language and saw the acting talent in the man (though I am still not sure why some south Indian women consider him the sexiest man alive). You see, how much characterization matters? Lets take another example of a south Indian actor successful in north India- Madhavan. Now, Madhavan learned Hindi and grew up in a way that more than acquainted him with the North Indian culture. By the time he took up acting, he had already subconsciously put years of hard work to overcome that barrier. So when we see him as a north Indian in rang de basanti, we see him easily slip into the character and concentrate on acting than accent and body language because both now come to him so naturally. So we easily accept him. Lets take another relative example- Irfan Khan in A Mighty Heart. People liked him and accepted him because he was playing a Pakistani, something closer to Indian culture. His acting was admired in that role. But if he had played 007, I am quite sure that Hollywood fans would not have liked him a bit as an actor. Not because he would have become a bad actor all of a sudden, but the cultural barrier would have made the difference.

Nothing better than a good nothie-vs southie fight in the morning....especially with Moriz' date=' bibi and transparent posting[b'] long essays.:popcorn: I believe in respecting each other. South Indian cinema and Hindi cinema have existed in their respective areas for years and will continue to do so. I have watched some of the big south stars (Rajani, venkatesh, arvind swami etc) in some Hindi movies and I have not liked them much and it looks almost impossible that such seemingly "talentless and idiotic" (attempting to explain what north fans generally feel) guys could be so popular in some part of the world and that leads to the belief that south Indian film lovers are fools. However, in my opinion, most south Indian actors have failed in Hindi movies because of bad characterization in the movies. When we go and watch a Rajanikant playing a role like Amitabh Bachhan usually played those days, we can immediately see that he is not fitting in with his mannerisms, accent and body language of a south Indian that are so different from a typical north Indian hero because of the subtle cultural differences. A Rajanikanth is asked to show a lot of style to lure the north Indian audience in a Hindi movie, but it would take years of training to be able to overcome the habits and fit easily into a role of a north Indian hero with the pergfect body language and accept. We cant pin point whats wrong, but we know that the guy is just not fitting in. The very reason why a Hindi film star will look very odd if asked to play a typical central character in a Hollywood movies. Imagine SRK in Mission impossible series in place of Tom Cruise. Or imagine Akshay Kumar in place of Matt Damon in the Bourne series. We ourselves will reject them just like we have rejected the south Indian actors in Hindi movies. However, lets look at a south Indian actor that I liked in a Hindi movie- Mohan Lal in Company. What Ramu did there is that he did not ask Mohan Lal to play a typical North Indian. In stead, he was asked to play a south Indian working in Mumbai police. He did not have to change his accent or body language. And all of a sudden, he looked good and his talent came out. We, as audiences, were not expecting to see him as a north Indian anymore. As our expectations were set right, we looked right through the imperfect accent and body language and saw the acting talent in the man (though I am still not sure why some south Indian women consider him the sexiest man alive). You see, how much characterization matters? Lets take another example of a south Indian actor successful in north India- Madhavan. Now, Madhavan learned Hindi and grew up in a way that more than acquainted him with the North Indian culture. By the time he took up acting, he had already subconsciously put years of hard work to overcome that barrier. So when we see him as a north Indian in rang de basanti, we see him easily slip into the character and concentrate on acting than accent and body language because both now come to him so naturally. So we easily accept him. Lets take another relative example- Irfan Khan in A Mighty Heart. People liked him and accepted him because he was playing a Pakistani, something closer to Indian culture. His acting was admired in that role. But if he had played 007, I am quite sure that Hollywood fans would not have liked him a bit as an actor. Not because he would have become a bad actor all of a sudden, but the cultural barrier would have made the difference.
Touche