Want to get in shape for summer? Join in...

Lurker

You can boil enough rajma for the week and take a cupful from the fridge for every meal you have it. Avoid cooking it too much, the more you cook beans/lentils the more it breaks down to sugars. Alternate with whole green dal for variety every now and then. ditto with homemade sauce, roll four tomatos in a kadhai greased with a little ghee, throw in two/three whole chillies and about 5-8 cloves of garlic. take the garlic out first once they start to brown, followed by the chillies once they char a bit and cook the tomatos till the skin peels off easily if you prod it with your spatula. let it cool and then toss it all in a mixer with some salt and give it a good whirr till the chilli and garlic are broken down. You have your delicious salsa ready! This can go in the fridge as well and used whenever you need to spike your rajma!

:(( Man, as we speak of milk...looks like recently I have developed some sort of milk/lactose tolerance. Another night-out due to bloated and painful stomach, and I cant connect it to anything but milk stuff I had just before bed. Now gulping down whisky at 7 am !! to get some quick sleep :((
You mean intolerance :-). Quite possible. ~ 50 - 75 % of South Asian adults have a decreased ability to produce lactase (the enzyme that digests lactose). Of course, there is a spectrum of severity - some have mild, almost unnoticeable symptoms (yaar, thoda gassy lag rahaa hai) or symptoms that kick in only with high levels of lactose consumption (e.g., only with milk, but not other milk products like yogurt in which the lactose has been metabolized some by the Lactobacillus) whereas others may be severely intolerant (even cheese and yogurt trigger symptoms). Easy experiment ... just buy lactose-free milk once and see if it relieves your symptoms in a week. If that is the case, you could just pop a lactase pill or 2 every time you drink milk (now, you can get generic brands). The pills are cheap, tasteless, chewable and effective. And "natural," ... if you are into that kind of labeling :-)! Interestingly, if you take an antibiotic for some infection at some point, it may temporarily relieve you of lactose intolerance, which is caused by intestinal bacteria digesting lactose (milk sugar) and releasing CO2. On the bright side, you are fine as long as you don't develop whisky intolerance :-)! PS: I am surprised that no one here has mentioned tofu as a protein source. ~ 12g protein/100 g tofu. It is an acquired taste, but there are ways you could make it taste good. I marinate it in a mixture of soy sauce, red chili powder, rice wine vinegar, olive oil, grated ginger, minced garlic and orange zest for 60 min to Overnight. Then stick it in the oven 400 deg, 20 - 30 min. Or grill. Toss with spinach/spring mix ... dinner is served!

PS: I am surprised that no one here has mentioned tofu as a protein source. ~ 12g protein/100 g tofu. It is an acquired taste, but there are ways you could make it taste good. I marinate it in a mixture of soy sauce, red chili powder, rice wine vinegar, olive oil, grated ginger, minced garlic and orange zest for 60 min to Overnight. Then stick it in the oven 400 deg, 20 - 30 min. Or grill. Toss with spinach/spring mix ... dinner is served!
Supposed to be meat substitute. But some really hate it.

Supposed to be meat substitute. But some really hate it.
Depends on what you mean by "substitute." It does not taste or smell like meat, of course - it is pretty neutral. It is a reasonably good source of protein (has ~ 1/3 of the protein that the same weight of chicken breast does). Firm tofu can have the texture of meat, and takes on the flavor of whatever it is cooked in. A disadvantage is that, being of plant origin, tofu does not contain all the essential amino acids that we need. At the same time, it comes with less baggage (little or no saturated fat). So, if you're vegetarian and will not eat eggs/chicken, it can do you some good if eaten with dairy. If you're vegan (no dairy, too), tofu + some cereal-grains can provide the entire complement of essential amino acids.

You mean intolerance :-). Quite possible. ~ 50 - 75 % of South Asian adults have a decreased ability to produce lactase (the enzyme that digests lactose). Of course, there is a spectrum of severity - some have mild, almost unnoticeable symptoms (yaar, thoda gassy lag rahaa hai) or symptoms that kick in only with high levels of lactose consumption (e.g., only with milk, but not other milk products like yogurt in which the lactose has been metabolized some by the Lactobacillus) whereas others may be severely intolerant (even cheese and yogurt trigger symptoms). Easy experiment ... just buy lactose-free milk once and see if it relieves your symptoms in a week. If that is the case, you could just pop a lactase pill or 2 every time you drink milk (now, you can get generic brands). The pills are cheap, tasteless, chewable and effective. And "natural," ... if you are into that kind of labeling :-)! Interestingly, if you take an antibiotic for some infection at some point, it may temporarily relieve you of lactose intolerance, which is caused by intestinal bacteria digesting lactose (milk sugar) and releasing CO2. On the bright side, you are fine as long as you don't develop whisky intolerance :-)!
Thanks for the info. I have yet to establish the root-cause. Milk, milk products have been major part of my diet (about a litre or so of milk + whey supplements + paneer and any and almost every milk-based sweet!!), never faced any issues. It is just for last month or two, that I have been having some gas issues. And only last night occurred to me, it might be due to milk. I hope its not severe or for rest of life (no such family history either). On whisky front I've become quite tolerant - nothing less than half bottle (or 3-4 litres of draft beer!) works for me :(, and then the guilt feeling in the gym next day. :((

http://healthyreferral.com/2011/08/hemp-seed-is-nature%E2%80%99s-perfect-high-protein-food/ Hemp Seed is Nature’s Perfect High Protein Food Posted on04 August 2011. Hemp Seed is Nature’s Perfect High Protein Food (from www.75720.versativa.org) hemp1-150x150.gif • Hemp protein is the gift of the vegetable world. No where else in nature can someone get a more complete protein source from one place. • Hemp seeds contain up to 36% protein. • The protein in hemp seed is comprised of approximately 65% of Edestin and can be found only in hemp seed protein. • Edestin aids digestion, is low in phosphorus and is considered the backbone of human cellular DNA. • The other one third of hemp seed protein is Albumin, another high quality globulin protein similar to that found in egg whites. • Since hemp seed protein is 65% globulin Edistin, and also includes albumin, its protein is readily available in a form quite similar to that found in blood plasma. • Hemp protein contains all 20 known amino acids including the 8 essential and 2 semi-essential amino acids (EAA’s) our bodies cannot produce. Proteins are considered complete when they contain all 9 essential amino acids in a sufficient quantity and ratio to meet the body’s protein requirements. • Hemp seed oil may be nature’s most perfectly balanced oil. It contains an ideal 3:1 ratio of omega-6′s [linoleic acid] to omega-3′s [alpha-linolenic acid] for long-term use, and provides the omega-6 derivative gamma-linolenic acid (GLA). • No other single food source has the essential amino acids in such an easily digestible form, nor has the essential fatty acids in as perfect a ratio to meet human nutritional needs. • Hemp seed is an excellent source of calcium and iron. Whole hemp seeds are also a good source of phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, copper and manganese. • Hemp seed is gluten free and consequently will not trigger symptoms of celiac disease • Hemp protein is also free of oligosaccharides found in soy, which cause stomach upset and gas.

Thanks for the info. I have yet to establish the root-cause. Milk, milk products have been major part of my diet (about a litre or so of milk + whey supplements + paneer and any and almost every milk-based sweet!!), never faced any issues. It is just for last month or two, that I have been having some gas issues. And only last night occurred to me, it might be due to milk. I hope its not severe or for rest of life (no such family history either). On whisky front I am becoming quite tolerant - nothing less than half bottle (or 3-4 litres of draft beer!) works for me :(, and then the guilt feeling in the gym next day.
Two things: (1) Lactose intolerance progresses gradually until one day you notice the symptoms. And even if it is LI, you can still enjoy milk-based products (ice cream, paneer, yogurt, sweets) because the overall amounts are low. You may just need a lactase supplement pill for the 1 liter of milk itself. (2) It is not really familial. If 50 - 75% of S. Asians have it to some extent, it is almost natural to get it. Plus, I suspect that if your relatives are in India, the milk there has lower levels of the lactose sugar, so they don't really experience the symptoms. In any case, in India, we attribute gas to anything that we don't really like and rarely to things that we do! Good luck.

http://healthyreferral.com/2011/08/hemp-seed-is-nature%E2%80%99s-perfect-high-protein-food/ Hemp Seed is Nature’s Perfect High Protein Food Posted on04 August 2011. Hemp Seed is Nature’s Perfect High Protein Food (from www.75720.versativa.org) hemp1-150x150.gif • The protein in hemp seed is comprised of approximately 65% of Edestin and can be found only in hemp seed protein. • Edestin aids digestion, is low in phosphorus and is considered the backbone of human cellular DNA. • Hemp seed is an excellent source of calcium and iron. Whole hemp seeds are also a good source of phosphorus, magnesium, zinc, copper and manganese.
Not directed at you, vvvs, but some of this stuff raised my eyebrows: One bullet says low in phosphorus, the other says good source of phosphorus. My only response was "Huh?" The bullet about edestin being the "backbone of DNA" is rubbish. The writers are confused. They must have read somewhere that phosphates (PO32-) are part of what is considered the "backbone" structure of DNA. In their haste to somehow incorporate that concept to the virtues of hemp seed, they just threw it in there. It may still be all good, but it wasn't written by folks who know what they're talking about. Hemp, of course, is a close relative of pot!

^ gradually!!... I am well past half way!! I really hope its not due to milk/lactose. I absolutely love milk and its products.
Not to belabor the point, but the solution is easy ... the pills are harmless and effective. Past halfway ... that's about the time it hits, believe me.

Not directed at you, vvvs, but some of this stuff raised my eyebrows: One bullet says low in phosphorus, the other says good source of phosphorus. My only response was "Huh?" The bullet about edestin being the "backbone of DNA" is rubbish. The writers are confused. They must have read somewhere that phosphates (PO3 2-) are part of what is considered the "backbone" structure of DNA. In their haste to somehow incorporate that concept to the virtues of hemp seed, they just threw it in there. It may still be all good, but it wasn't written by folks who know what they're talking about. Hemp, of course, is a close relative of pot!
This is one of the 100 articles i have read on Hemp seed. This is accepted as the nutritionally most complete food. I bought 3 lbs from Amazon couple of years back. It tastes somewhat like split grams. Please do a little research on it. YOu can see lot of good things about this.

This is one of the 100 articles i have read on Hemp seed. This is accepted as the nutritionally most complete food. I bought 3 lbs from Amazon couple of years back. It tastes somewhat like split grams. Please do a little research on it. YOu can see lot of good things about this.
Thanks for the info. And I am sorry if I came across as a naysayer. I am trained to catch biochemical discrepancies, and have an itch to point them out when I see them. The phosphorus and DNA rubbish was something for which freshman biology students would get an F. After I saw your post, I checked it out on what I consider the "gold standard nutrition info site." Here's the link; it's a goldmine of accurate information about pretty much anything. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/629104/2.

^^ Both Hemp and Tofu get a bad rap because of the estrogen content. Tofu, in particular, is made from Soy which contains testosterone inhibiting characteristics. I am by no means an expert and you can read up more articles on this but this is one reason why Tofu is not a maintstay for guys. On the other hand it is great for women for exactly the same reason.

^^ Myth. I had this clinical study bookmarked. http://www.fertstert.org/article/S0015-0282(09)00966-2/abstract Tofu is not ideal for muscle builders because it lacks some of the essential amino acids. It has nothing to do with testosterone. But you're right - it gets a bad rap. Someone sees "phytoestrogen" and hypothesizes something, and the hypothesis goes viral before the scientific studies are completed ... by which time, the damage is done. BTW isoflavone = phytoestrogen (for the purpose of this discussion).

^^ Both Hemp and Tofu get a bad rap because of the estrogen content. Tofu' date=' in particular, is made from Soy which contains testosterone inhibiting characteristics. I am by no means an expert and you can read up more articles on this but this is one reason why Tofu is not a maintstay for guys. On the other hand it is great for women for exactly the same reason.[/quote'] wiki may not be a gold standard, but here is what wiki says:

^^ Myth. I had this clinical study bookmarked. http://www.fertstert.org/article/S0015-0282(09)00966-2/abstract Tofu is not ideal for muscle builders because it lacks some of the essential amino acids. It has nothing to do with testosterone. But you're right - it gets a bad rap. Someone sees "phytoestrogen" and hypothesizes something, and the hypothesis goes viral beefore the scientific studies are completed ... by which time, the damage is done.
Thats quite fine actually. Jury is still out on this. Like it is for most supplements ranging from Creatine to Aminos. For some they work for others they dont. However personally after busting my hump in the gym at 4 am in the morning I am not gonna take chances with something that may actually work against me. That being said when I do not have my preferred choice of protein I do munch on Tofu. For vegetarian of course it is a great thing alongside beans and yogurt

Thanks for the info. And I am sorry if I came across as a naysayer. I am trained to catch biochemical discrepancies, and have an itch to point them out when I see them. The phosphorus and DNA rubbish was something for which freshman biology students would get an F. After I saw your post, I checked it out on what I consider the "gold standard nutrition info site." Here's the link; it's a goldmine of accurate information about pretty much anything. http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/629104/2.
Nutrition data is just a reference rather than a standard. visit all nutrition data sites including this regularly. Don't accept it literally. I encourage you to read more articles on this. Hemp seeds, Flax seeds, Chia seeds.