Want to get in shape for summer? Join in...

Lurker

I am 5'10" and weigh about 200 lbs. I am about 20-25 lbs overweight. I don't look though. I have been trying to lose the extra weight for almost 5-6 years. I had reached 190 and then regained everything on one visit to India for a month. My problem is when I get sick/flu' date=' I lose the exercise routine and it's hard to get back on the gym. Binge eating is another problem. [b']This setting target thingy will probably work. I have consulted a dietician, have a diet plan, but difficult to follow as at home I am a veggie. Eat meat at work. Got to get on the treadmill in the basement everyday. With manging kids and pressure at work makes it diffcult.
You are damn right it will work! Here is what you need to do Coffee. By your admission you are 200 lbs at 5ft 10. I say your ideal weight should be about 170-175. Which means you may want to lose 25 pounds. From wat you say you seem to carry the weight well so maybe 10-15 pounds is a more realistic number. Now lets settle at 10 pounds Coffee. That should be fairly attainable right? And if you drop 15 pounds you get some sorta award(we will think of it later) We have about 15 weeks to lose 10 pounds. Now lets do the Maths: 1) 1 pound of fat = 4000 calories. (This is derived from 1 grm of fat = 9 calories, and 1 pound = 450 grms) 2) Jogging 1 mile for mid 30s person at 4 miles an hour = 200 calories(should take you 15 minutes). 3) Miles to be run for losing 1 pound = 4000/200 = 20 miles. I know what you are thinking - 20 miles jog to lose 1 pound of fat!! yes Sir. Let this be reason enough NOT to binge eat again. Assuming you run/walk briskly 2 miles a day you can complete anything between about 15 miles a week and close to 60-65 miles a month, close to 3 pound weight loss. 3 pound loss a month equates to 10 pound loss by summer easy. And I havent even added any resistance exercise. Plus I will do a bit of diet thingy for you if you are interested. Let me know and we can make you a solid programme starting as soon as we can. And if you slack I promise to kick your butt. If you get disheartened somewhere we can all lift you. xxx

Pardon me If i am sounding a bit rude, but that just sounds like a load of excuses to me. P.S - If you are 5'10, You need to around 155-165 lbs
Not excuses, just analysing why I can't lose weight. With my lifestyle, the good thing I am not gaining either. But I am told my weight should be around 175 lbs.

You are damn right it will work! Here is what you need to do Coffee. By your admission you are 200 lbs at 5ft 10. I say your ideal weight should be about 170-175. Which means you may want to lose 25 pounds. From wat you say you seem to carry the weight well so maybe 10-15 pounds is a more realistic number. Now lets settle at 10 pounds Coffee. That should be fairly attainable right? And if you drop 15 pounds you get some sorta award(we will think of it later) We have about 15 weeks to lose 10 pounds. Now lets do the Maths: 1) 1 pound of fat = 4000 calories. (This is derived from 1 grm of fat = 9 calories, and 1 pound = 450 grms) 2) Jogging 1 mile for mid 30s person at 4 miles an hour = 200 calories(should take you 15 minutes). 3) Miles to be run for losing 1 pound = 4000/200 = 20 miles. I know what you are thinking - 20 miles jog to lose 1 pound of fat!! yes Sir. Let this be reason enough NOT to binge eat again. Assuming you run/walk briskly 2 miles a day you can complete anything between about 15 miles a week and close to 60-65 miles a month, close to 3 pound weight loss. 3 pound loss a month equates to 10 pound loss by summer easy. And I havent even added any resistance exercise. Plus I will do a bit of diet thingy for you if you are interested. Let me know and we can make you a solid programme starting as soon as we can. And if you slack I promise to kick your butt. If you get disheartened somewhere we can all lift you. xxx
I wonder how e-kicking will work :cantstop: Losing 10 lbs sounds reasonable. I think it should be doable. Will keep you guys updated. Since I had a ligament operation, I can't do fast running. On the tread, I do brisk walk with a lot of resistence (10 uphill). I can go upto 3.5 mph for about 35-40 minutes to have me sweat.

I wonder how e-kicking will work.
It will, trust me. It is amazing how online can affect your real life and vice-versa. For example, all that firing in Political section, do you really think it doesnt affect the people at all? I am sure it does.
Since I had a ligament operation, I can't do fast running. On the tread, I do brisk walk with a lot of resistence (10 uphill). I can go upto 3.5 mph for about 35-40 minutes to have me sweat.
Actually the latest fitness line of thought is to walk briskly, about 3.5 to 4 mph and for a lengthy time 35-40 minutes. This ensures you burn fat and not carbs. This seems to fall right in your timeframe. If you have an adjustable treadmill(that changes height) then you can of course increase that to burn more calories. An advice that I will give you is to do these walk early in the morning on an empty stomach. This will ensure you burn the extra stored calories of the previous night and also bump up your metabolism for the day so you burn more fuel even if you dont do any workout.

Planning to start Jogging from this Weekend , the problem is its almost 2 yrs since I Jogged/Ran So how shud I go about this? Walk for a week or so and then start jogging ?
Yep thats what I would do. Start slow. Say a mile of walk for first couple of days(about 20 minutes of walk), then bump it to 5 minutes jog then 10 minutes walk, then 5 minutes jog then 10 minutes walk, about 30 minutes in total and close to 2miles covered. Following which you can do 10 minutes jog, 10 minutes walk, 5 minutes jog, 5 minutes run. Again 30 minutes and 2.5 miles now. You can try this till you can jog for about 20 minutes at a stretch, the more the merrier of course. Make sure you jog and not run. Most people start running and hence panting which leads them to stop the whole activity pretty soon. Also if you are doing this to lose weight then try running it early in the morning on empty stomach. You can also try running on Black coffee(no sugar/milk) or water with lemon. If you can doing this just to be in better shape then you can run pretty much anytime you can.

To gain weight :)
Bilkool chalega. Most people think jogging/aerobics are ONLY for losing weight. Nothing could be further from truth. The fact is that any aerobic exercise - running, swimming etc - bumps up your basal metabolism and your appetite would be boosted. The key of course would be to feed your body so you nourish your metabolism. Aisa nahin ke jogging karke ghar aake you dont eat, if you dont eat then you will lose weight, not what you want. Here is what I want you to do BB. Once you have done your jogging, come home and make a fruit smoothie. The ingredients would be: 1) 1.5 glass of water. 2) Ice cubes for taste(if you dont want it thats fine too) 3) One banana 3) One scoop peanut butter(two if you can) 4) 1-2 scoops of whey protein powder. This itself would be about 500-600 calories. And GOOD calories. Start with this and once you get a hang of taste you can maybe have this shake once more during the day, as a meal replacement. xxx

Wow ..nice recipe there :) ...and easy to make also ... Can I substitute Water with Milk ?
Go for it ace. Milk/yogurt, you can add anything for taste. Also on fruit you can add orange, pineapple, strawberry whatever catches your fancy. Just be consistent with whey powder(for extra protein) and peanut butter(for healthy fats).

great thread lurker.. I will need some help in this area also.. lets see my stats.. age - 26 weight - 135 lbs height - 5-9.. pure vegeterian.. (no eggs) work out.. irregularly.. running 10 mins, push ups, try to play tennis once a week if time permits.. I have been seriously trying to gain weight in past few months.. but it has worked for 3-5 lbs.. i eat slice wheat bread every morning.. with tea.. drink bowl of whole milk.. banana every morning.. weekend.. i eat couple of waffels with honey syrup and butter.. lunch .. roti sabzi.. around 6 pm.. cereal bar and chips.. dinner - daal, roti, rice, sabzi.. eat pasta, pizza every now and then.. I increased my calorie intake but worked for only 2-3 lbs.. any ideas? I am thinking of trying protein shakes now.. i have been reluctant to try artificial stuff until now..

I am thinking of trying protein shakes now.. i have been reluctant to try artificial stuff until now..
Veer, Protein shake are not artifical at all. The bulk of protein shake are either of the three variety: Whey Protein Casein Protein Soy Protein Whey and Casein are derivatives of Milk while soy is well soy. Now you may raise the question - If Whey is made from Milk why cant I just consume milk? Well ideall you can(and most definitely you Veer). However a glass of milk will have say 150 calories and about 12 gms protein. On the other hand a glass of whey protein will have 150 calories and about 30-40 grams protein. So the serios fitness fanatic go for whey/casein. Whether you want to take milk/chocolate milk/soymilk itself or one of the protein powders is a matter of personal choice, however I just wanted to point out there is nothing artificial in them, aside from the whole concentrating factor. Now for your situation:
age - 26 weight - 135 lbs height - 5-9.. pure vegeterian.. (no eggs) work out.. irregularly.. running 10 mins, push ups, try to play tennis once a week if time permits.. I have been seriously trying to gain weight in past few months.. but it has worked for 3-5 lbs.. i eat slice wheat bread every morning.. with tea.. drink bowl of whole milk.. banana every morning.. eekend.. i eat couple of waffels with honey syrup and butter.. lunch .. roti sabzi.. around 6 pm.. cereal bar and chips.. dinner - daal, roti, rice, sabzi.. eat pasta, pizza every now and then.. I increased my calorie intake but worked for only 2-3 lbs.. any ideas?
I think you are on the right track here. You pretty much have atleast 3 solid meals a day, maybe 4. What you need to do is to add 1-2 more meal and that will boost your calorific intake. One suggestion you may want to try is the smoothie advice I gave to Blue Billion. This will get you a good 500 calories, good calories, for building bulk. What you need is basically 1.5 glass of milk 0.5 cup yogurt 1 banana(or orange, or pineapple, strawberry etc) 2 scoops of whey protein 2 tablespoon peanut butter/olive oil/almond butter - whatever catches your fancy. Just blend them in a blender and have it You may take a while to develop taste but once you do try to get this smoothie twice a day and you should automatically increase your diet by about 1000 calories. Few more advice: 1) Go for white bread and not wheat. Wheat bread(as also honey oat) is for slow digestion thanks to the fibre. What it means is that you will have a feeling of "fullness" even after a few hours. White bread on other hand will get you hungry soon, which is what we want for you. 2) Go heavy on healthy fats. Walnuts, almonds, resins, prunes whatever you relish have a pack at your desk and munch it every now and then. Try to finish a small pack a week. 3) Before you hit the bed have a cup of yogurt or cottage cheese. You can also have a glass of milk if you relish milk as such. Milk, yogurt and cheese has slow releasing protein and hence your body will be "fed" even when you are asleep and not taking anything. 4) Dont do anything drastic. Pace yourself. If you are eating 3 meals, add a smoothie for a week, then add a smoothie and a pack of almonds for next week, then a smoothie and a bigger pack and so on. Remember your body has been like this for 26 years you dont want to shock immediately. Aim for a pound or two a week. Be consistent with your diet and it will help you. Also make sure you digest what you eat. Since you dont take meat/eggs etc you will take a lot of milk/milk products and if you are lactose intolerant that may mean disaster. Most grocery stores carry Lactorse free milk/yogurt so you can get them just make sure your body is actually digesting it. xxx

this is good stuff.. thanks boss.. btw.. do you recommend whole or 2% milk?
You can have either Veer. Since putting on weight is actually a goal of yours, and not something you have to be careful about I say go for whole milk. Milk fats are pretty userful when it comes to adding on pounds.

Summer Workout all complete. About 4 months regime done. Would be taking off for a couple of months. Start stats: Weight: 190 lbs Body fat: 10% (caliper and under water method) End Stats: Weight: 200 lb Body fat: 8%(caliper and under water method) Chief staple: Complex carbs, Egg white/chicken breast, Asparagus/broccoli/green bean Supplements: BCAA, Whey Protein Isolate, Fish Oil, Multivitamin. Always wanted to tip 200 lbs and was able to do so at 31 waist. So am happy. Have had enough of watching my food so will splurge for next 2 months. img1985mj0.th.jpg

I gotta question. When I run on the treadmill, even for a paltry 5 mph, my heart beat is racing to 185-186 bpm. Now, the fitness chart says for my age, the max heart-rate is 195 bpm and the recommended traning zone is 60% to 75% of my maximum heart-beat. I am touching almost 93-94%. Is that a problem? Or can I just go ahead and do 6-7 mph without worrying about it too much. Maybe the pulse reader on the treadmill is faulty. P.S: Lurks, you look stunningly fit!

I gotta question. When I run on the treadmill, even for a paltry 5 mph, my heart beat is racing to 185-186.bpm. Now, the fitness chart says for my age, the max heart-rate is 195 bpm and the recommended traning zone is 60 to 75% of my maximum heart-beat. I am touching almost 93-94%. Is that a problem? Or can I just go ahead and do 6-7 mph without worrying about it too much. Maybe the pulse reader on the treadmill is faulty.
Yes it definitely looks like it is faulty. If you are running at 5 mph(and on flat surface, no inclines) then there is no reason it should exceed 150 or thereabouts, and that if you are grossly overweight Sriram.One good way to gauze this is can you hold a bit of conversation for say half a minute? If you can then the heart monitor is surely faulty. No way you can hold a conversation at 185 bpm. Also give alternate brisk and slow pace a try every other day. In this you run at say 6 for 1 minute, then walk at 3 for another minute. Do this for say 20-30 minutes. You will burn more calories and fat and your body will also avoid getting used to one style of training. If you want to push things a notch a bit half a cup of black coffee 20 minutes before running. PS: Thanks for the compliments. Hows life at work? Have you started to hate it yet :--D

Yes it definitely looks like it is faulty. If you are running at 5 mph(and on flat surface' date=' no inclines) then there is no reason it should exceed 150 or thereabouts, and that if you are grossly overweight Sriram.One good way to gauze this is can you hold a bit of conversation for say half a minute? If you can then the heart monitor is surely faulty. No way you can hold a conversation at 185 bpm.[/quote'] My BMI is around 23, which is fine I suppose. The thing is, IF i run at 5 mph, I am almost bored to death. Its like I am about to go to sleep when running. At those speeds, I dont feel tired at all, nor do I get any sort of chest pains.I definitely feel I can push it upto 6.5-7. But, when I look at the pulse meter and it shows 184-185, I get the creeps and slow down the pace to 4.4-4.6 mph. Even then, the reader shows 173-174.
Also give alternate brisk and slow pace a try every other day. In this you run at say 6 for 1 minute' date=' then walk at 3 for another minute. Do this for say 20-30 minutes. You will burn more calories and fat and your body will also avoid getting used to one style of training. If you want to push things a notch a bit half a cup of black coffee 20 minutes before running.[/quote'] I generally run 3 miles, with a 5 minute break between every mile. After a 5 minute warm-up, I start at 4.8 mph and accelerate by .2 mph for quater mile that I have covered. But I feel I can up the intensity a bit, but I am too sure about that.
PS: Thanks for the compliments. Hows life at work? Have you started to hate it yet :--D
The Jargon is killing. Its like I am from a different planet. :--D And many thanks guys, I have been trying to implement the fitness/diet regime that you guys have suggested for me in the last month and a half. This is probably the fittest I have ever been in a few years.