Want to get in shape for summer? Join in...

Lurker

Akhsay/Lurker/others, So here is a question for you guys- I workout at the gym that is at my workplace which works well as part of my routine. I am not trying to be a bodybuilder but rather stay fit and healthy; as I mentioned in some posts earlier last few months have been better from diet and consistency in going to the gym. It has reached a point where I actually feel really useless & unhappy if I miss a day of exercise; this has been happening on the weekends. Ideally I would have loved to play tennis or swim on the weekends to get some cardio which are my favs instead of driving to workplace gym. Can you suggest some good basic home equipment which will not be a heavy investment but will atleast get me going on the weekends? Or is joining the gym a must? Thanks in advance
Since you already have gym at your workplace - work very hard in weekdays and rest on weekends. Or just drive to work for office-gym even on that weekend!!! If you must do something at home, you can do away with cardio workout at home - skipping, outdoor running etc. or get some cardio machine you enjoy the most....or join some other activity class/club like - swimming/boxing/dance/squash/tennis etc. You do not have to lift weights every day. If you do not have lot of muscle already or planning to bulk up - you can stay super fit even with 3-4 intense workout sessions per week - thats including both cardio and weights! Besides, you need some good amount of floor area to make decent home gym - 100-150 sq ft or so. And it would be a pain in shifting-house, if it is not your permanent house. Still if you feel you are missing muscle training on weekends - at home... - then yes you can do w/o gym. There are many free body weight exercises that you can do at home w/o investing in weights. Like - pushups, pull ups/chinups, free squats, lunges, abs...you can even use make-shift weights to make your chinups/pullsups/pushups/squats more intense.. I had a bookmark about free-body weight exercises and various variations you can do at home.. will post it, once I find it..

Can't find my old bookmark. But this site also looks good for free-body-weight workouts. http://www.bodyweightculture.com/forum/forum.php? Anyway, as I understand - you are missing out only on one workout day. Just decide what you want to do on that day (cardio or strength..which part) and then it would be easy to plan accordingly. And as I said earlier, if office is not too far - drive to your office gym!!!.

It has reached a point where I actually feel really useless & unhappy if I miss a day of exercise; this has been happening on the weekends. Ideally I would have loved to play tennis or swim on the weekends to get some cardio which are my favs instead of driving to workplace gym.
Sweet man. Good to hear you are now in the zone where it is becoming kind of addictive for you. Over the weekends you can do some quick jog, or buy a couple of light dumbbells, say 15 pounds. They would be light but enough to get you a full body workout if you do the following exercise right after the other, say 10 reps of each exercise Body squats with dumbbell over shoulder Stiff leg deadlifts with dumbbells Pushups Lateral shoulder press Triceps extension biceps curls crunches You should be done in about 5 minutes with all the back to back exercise, then do 2-3 more sets. Personally I like when I lift, even if its little. Plus the whole body routine also changes the way your body reacts to it. If you get stronger buy 20 pound dumbbells.

So, after 7 months, I have decided to quit gym. I have 15 more days of gym membership. Frankly speaking, I was spending too much time at the gym :cantstop:. Too much running on treadmills also affected this decision. Frankly speaking, I'm looking forward to running more outside in the morning, doing Suryas ( 5 rounds a day), and then working out at home ( Probably push ups and sit ups and some weights)

So' date=' after 7 months, I have decided to quit gym. I have 15 more days of gym membership. Frankly speaking, I was spending too much time at the gym :cantstop:. Too much running on treadmills also affected this decision. Frankly speaking, I'm looking forward to running more outside in the morning, doing Suryas ( 5 rounds a day), and then working out at home ( Probably push ups and sit ups and some weights)[/quote'] Cool, how was the overall experience? Positives, negatives? things you wish were done differently (and please dont say wish they had unisex locker room :winky: )

So' date=' after 7 months, I have decided to quit gym. I have 15 more days of gym membership. Frankly speaking, I was spending too much time at the gym :cantstop:. Too much running on treadmills also affected this decision. Frankly speaking, I'm looking forward to running more outside in the morning, doing Suryas ( 5 rounds a day), and then working out at home ( Probably push ups and sit ups and some weights)[/quote'] laaloo try P90X...in home boot camp for muscle conditioning. if you don't want to work with weights, Insanity is a good one too, no equipment needed, but it's called the 'hardest workout put out on DVD'

Does anyone know any neck exercises? I spend long hours in front of the system and often get a stiff neck.
Most likely it is due to your sleeping posture. I have sat in front of computer for very very long hours for many many years. never had stiff-neck due to that, but many times due to sleeping in wrong posture. And still if u need some exercise for neck - well I can show you live, but cant remember proper terms to explain the motion.. here are the basic ones anyway. http://www.des.umd.edu/os/erg/neck.html

Cool' date=' how was the overall experience? Positives, negatives? things you wish were done differently (and please dont say wish they had unisex locker room :winky: )[/quote'] It was alright I guess. I lost about 15 pounds in the 7 months. Would have been more if I was more committed to it. Positives: really close by (10 min walk) Not that much crowded in the morning Negatives: limited types of equipment No swimming pool/sauna room

laaloo try P90X...in home boot camp for muscle conditioning. if you don't want to work with weights' date=' Insanity is a good one too, no equipment needed, but it's called the 'hardest workout put out on DVD'[/quote'] It's too intense though. The thing with P90X is that you gotta keep doing it, if you leave it even for some time, everything will go away. I think I'm better off just going running in the morning, doing 5 rounds of suryas( set of 14, 70 total) and then some pushups/situps and dumbbells at home.

It's too intense though. The thing with P90X is that you gotta keep doing it, if you leave it even for some time, everything will go away. I think I'm better off just going running in the morning, doing 5 rounds of suryas( set of 14, 70 total) and then some pushups/situps and dumbbells at home.
Just go at your own pace brother, you'll do great!

Bump! hey guys, quick questions for you. I'm trying to build a workout regimen that has a little bit more advanced moves in it (maybe some olympic lifting). I'm looking at Deadlifts, Cleans and Press, Squats, Snatch. Is it possible to put these exercises in with a 3 day split ( Chest/Back, Shoulders Legs, Arms) ?

Bump! hey guys, quick questions for you. I'm trying to build a workout regimen that has a little bit more advanced moves in it (maybe some olympic lifting). I'm looking at Deadlifts, Cleans and Press, Squats, Snatch. Is it possible to put these exercises in with a 3 day split ( Chest/Back, Shoulders Legs, Arms) ?
Think thats a good idea to go old school. Instead of a 3 day split why not do a 2 day split. Upper and lower? Upper would have Cleans and Press, Snatch and Deadlifts (if you are doing the regular) Lower would be Squats and Deadlifts (stiff legged variety). Your chest would lack a bit which would can probably compensate by bench press on upper body days. If you do the upper body in good form, dont worry about weight, your arms would get a good workover anyways. But if you want to work arms seperately do the biceps/triceps combo on day 3. You may wanna go light with heavy reps since your body would be exhausted if you do day 1 and day 2 correct.

Think thats a good idea to go old school. Instead of a 3 day split why not do a 2 day split. Upper and lower? Upper would have Cleans and Press, Snatch and Deadlifts (if you are doing the regular) Lower would be Squats and Deadlifts (stiff legged variety). Your chest would lack a bit which would can probably compensate by bench press on upper body days. If you do the upper body in good form, dont worry about weight, your arms would get a good workover anyways. But if you want to work arms seperately do the biceps/triceps combo on day 3. You may wanna go light with heavy reps since your body would be exhausted if you do day 1 and day 2 correct.
Thanks Lurks! How does this look for a 4 week sample (Going to leave working the arms seperately)? Day 1: Upper Day 2: Lower Day 3: Cardio Day 4: Upper Day 5: Lower Day 6: Cardio Upper: 1) Pushups to Failure 2) Cleans and Press -> 3x8 3) Chin ups -> 3 x failure 4) Snatch -> 3 x 8 5) Bench Press -> 3 x 8 6) Deadlifts -> 3 x 8 Lower: 1) Squats -> 3x8 2) Calf Raises 3) Dead Lifts -> 3 x8 4) Balance Lunges 5) Leg Extensions -> 3 x 8 6) Wall Squats

Couple of thoughts Shehzaada. a) On legs. Are calves your lagging part? If not then you may want to have it right at the end of lower body workout. Having it early would affect your deadlifts and other leg workouts. b) I have never enjoyed leg extension, gives me knee problems. If you dont have any such issue but if you experience it you may want to take it off. c) Wall squats are great as finishing move so great to have it right at the end. d) On cardio, I typically never do it after leg workout days. If you really hammer your legs they wont have much power to run or do anything inviolving legs much. e) Upper body everything looks great. I think you have it dialled down correctly. One exercise you may wanna throw is shoulder lateral raise, it is great in building width. Specially all those snatch, pulls, clean press with get you good size on shoulders so you want width to have a V taper so to speak.

must read.... every-time you want to redesign your weight lifting regime. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=118920551

Couple of thoughts Shehzaada. a) On legs. Are calves your lagging part? If not then you may want to have it right at the end of lower body workout. Having it early would affect your deadlifts and other leg workouts. b) I have never enjoyed leg extension, gives me knee problems. If you dont have any such issue but if you experience it you may want to take it off. c) Wall squats are great as finishing move so great to have it right at the end. d) On cardio, I typically never do it after leg workout days. If you really hammer your legs they wont have much power to run or do anything inviolving legs much. e) Upper body everything looks great. I think you have it dialled down correctly. One exercise you may wanna throw is shoulder lateral raise, it is great in building width. Specially all those snatch, pulls, clean press with get you good size on shoulders so you want width to have a V taper so to speak.
Awesome advice Lurker, thanks a lot! Calves aren't lagging, atleast I don't think so, so I'll put them at the end and for the upper i'll throw in some shoulder laterals too. You rock brother. As for the cardio, maybe I can do a quick core workout and then go out and shoot some hoops or swim or something..