Botha to succeed Smith as SA Twenty20 captain

Karan114

Smith set to quit T20 captaincy - reports Cricinfo staff August 17, 2010 Graeme Smith has called a press conference for Wednesday morning to outline his future, with Reuters suggesting he will stand down as South Africa's Twenty20 captain. South Africa were eliminated in the Super Eights stage of this year's World Twenty20 in the Caribbean and the next tournament is not until 2012 in Sri Lanka, which would give South Africa time to rebuild under a new captain. Smith, who will announce his plans at 11am (0900GMT), has captained his country in all formats since 2003, when he was just 22. He has developed into a strong leader and led the Test side to No. 1 in the world rankings during a run that culminated in a maiden series victory in Australia. He has spoken in the past about the demands of leading the team in all formats and that Test cricket and a World Cup title remain his top ambitions. There are a few options to replace Smith as Twenty20 captain but the queue is probably headed by Johan Botha, who has captained the side in Smith's absence, or AB de Villiers. South African cricket underwent major changes earlier this year when Mickey Arthur resigned as coach following the 1-1 series draw with England, and Mike Procter was fired as convenor of selectors along with the entire committee. © ESPN EMEA Ltd. http://www.cricinfo.com/southafrica/content/current/story/472954.html

While this comes as no surprise to me, I will miss Captain Graeme, especially after the world cup. Over the years he developed, both as an individual & a captain, into someone worthy of respect & admiration. Thank you Graeme, for the service you did to this country. Now it's time to focus on your own game and let someone else worry about the big picture.

Botha to succeed Smith as SA Twenty20 captain Off-spinner Johan Botha has replaced Graeme Smith as South Africa's Twenty20 captain, Cricket South Africa (CSA) announced on Saturday. More... Botha to succeed Smith as SA Twenty20 captain August 21, 2010 Offspinner Johan Botha has been named captain of South Africa's Twenty20 team, replacing Graeme Smith, who stood down earlier this week. Smith remains captain of the Test side and will continue to captain the one-day side until the end of the World Cup. "Johan was the unanimous choice of the Board and we have every confidence that he will do an excellent job leading up to the next edition of the ICC World Twenty20 in 2012," Cricket South Africa CEO Gerald Majola said. Botha stood in for Smith during the limited-overs leg of South Africa's tour of Australia in 2009, leading the team to a series win. That experience appears to have convinced CSA he is the right man for the job. "Johan has an excellent record as a leader," selection convener Andrew Hudson said. "He was an inspirational captain when he stood in for Smith in the ODI series victory in Australia in 2009. His appointment is part of the process of refreshing our Pro20 squad and also deciding whether to follow the route of having different captains for different formats of the game." Botha said he had enjoyed his earlier taste of the captaincy was hopeful he would do well enough so that when the time came, he would be considered for the one-day captaincy as well. "I really enjoyed the captaincy when I stood in for Graeme before, and I am proud to be offered the job now. I am looking forward to working with such a special team. I will have three Pro20 games before the World Cup and hopefully we can play some good cricket during that period. "As far as the 50 overs captaincy is concerned, I will have to see how my own form goes and how the team performs. If everything goes according to plan I would like to think I have a chance of captaining in the 50 overs format as well when Graeme stands down at the end of the World Cup." Botha has played 21 Twenty20 internationals, taking 22 wickets at an average of 19.18 and scoring 113 runs at an average of 18.83.