India becomes trillion dollar economy

Mandrake

Re: India becomes trillion dollar economy Shwetabh...though its a whole lot different deal but I read a recent report that the difference between rich and poor is abt 400% in the US.....the point is that progress cant be that linear. You cant wait to remove poverty from every single person out there in order to progress.India has lots of issues but there are sections making progress.

Guest dada_rocks

Re: India becomes trillion dollar economy

Its amazing how we keep on harping about all these figures and numbers while the poor in the country are getting poorer every day.
I don't think they are getting poorer in absolute sense, in relative terms may be.. unfortunately there is no better tool of governance available.. all the supposedly nice sounding ones have been unsuccessfuly tried.. btw something should be done about popularising sentiment of charity at individual level in india.... more and more people need to be charitable even if it happens for vanity so be it....

Re: India becomes trillion dollar economy I do think they are getting poorer in the absolute sense. Just look at the number of suicides happening in rural India. Must be an all time high. A person will not commit suicide if he cannot afford a bicycle, he'll do it only when him and his family are starving day in and day out. Mandrake, I have nothing against the rich getting richer as long as we as a country try to provide basic amenities like food, medicine, and shelter to everyone. At the moment I see zero planning towards that. Whats the use of these numbers when so many kids in India die every year of something as straightforward as Malaria which has one of the cheapest medications known to humanity, forget about other things.

Guest dada_rocks

I do think they are getting poorer in the absolute sense. Just look at the number of suicides happening in rural India. Must be an all time high. A person will not commit suicide if he cannot afford a bicycle, he'll do it only when him and his family are starving day in and day out. Mandrake, I have nothing against the rich getting richer as long as we as a country try to provide basic amenities like food, medicine, and shelter to everyone. At the moment I see zero planning towards that. Whats the use of these numbers when so many kids in India die every year of something as straightforward as Malaria which has one of the cheapest medications known to humanity, forget about other things.
I may be wrong but I believe suicide happens when expectation and reality are skewed it doesn't have to be near-starvation state. See suicide in iit campus in medical faculties here in north america is much more than the other stream or colleges. Yes I am doing big time extrapolation here but this does give an idea about why suicide happens. Some study should be done on this topic. U social scientist listening it could be a nice and fruitful topic. See government does have free medication for malaria in public health centres but thanks to the sickness of middle class and bureaucrat not to mention politicians themselves too, it's not working...... We collectively as a people have very very low moral standard. I am not sure anything will be helpful unless moral piety becomes popular.

I have nothing against the rich getting richer as long as we as a country try to provide basic amenities like food, medicine, and shelter to everyone.
Shwetabh, Its a case of what comes first - chicken or egg. I agree we have miles to go but we are making good progress and the results are out there to see. The literacy rate is up(I read somewhere that by 2020 almost 95% of India would be literate, will dig that up), India is self-sufficent in food today, we are no longer debt takers but debt giver, average life span has gone up, number of people under poverty is going down and so on. By most means a positive scenario. Granted there are pockets of non-uniformity(even in Andhra there is a rich Andhra and poor Andhra) but by and large economy seems to be doing rather well for itself in a billion people country. Yes I am with you that more efforts needs to be done towards Health, Education, Environment and so on but maybe we can just take a step back for now and pat ourselves before we go back to work. xxxx