Pakistan Trio Suspended by ICC in Spot Fixing Scandal

asterix

Mohammad Amir to Cook, 1 no ball, 88.3 mph, no-ball this time from Amir, rare from him, the delivery was pretty decent though, swinging away a fraction. Yikes, on replay that was an enormous no-ball, good half a metre over the line
That was in the third over's play on day one

Time for some quality entertainment !!

At one stage Majeed told us our syndicate could make "absolutely millions, millions" by paying him up to £450,000 a time for info on matches, then placing bets on the carefully choreographed outcome. And he tried to excuse the players' shameful behaviour, claiming: "These poor boys need to. They're paid peanuts." 516_our_man_144419a.jpg Majeed said he had even opened Swiss bank accounts for the cheats to hide their ill-gotten gains. We launched our investigation two weeks ago after a tip-off. The Pakistan side has long been dogged by match-fixing allegations. Only today has the full shocking extent been laid bare. ---- Two days later at the Bombay Brasserie Indian restaurant in central London, Majeed told us we had begun to gain his trust. He had spent the day at the Oval where Pakistan bowled England out for 233 on the first day of the third Test. After a trusted source vouched for our credentials, Majeed relaxed and laid his cards on the table. . . MAJEED: "I do feel that I can speak to you about this, okay? Now, yes. . . there is very big money in it." REPORTER: "There's still? I know there was, but they clamped down on match fixing I heard." MAJEED: "They've toned down match fixing a lot, yeah. They've made it very, very difficult in many, many, ways. "These guys won't deal with just anybody. The only reason they'll deal with me is because they know I'm professional, they know my background, they've known me for so many years, yeah. "I've been doing it with them, the Pakistani team, for about 2½ years. And we've made masses and masses of money." Later that night Majeed boasted how it was the players who got HIM into match-fixing. He told us: "The players would never tell anybody else They were the ones who actually approached me about this. This is the beauty of it. "I was friends with them for four, five years and then they said this happens. I said really?" Majeed then described how the betting scam operates. He reached into a carrier bag, pulled out a white Blackberry phone and flicked through a series of messages. "I deal with an Indian party," he said. "They pay me for the information." Then Majeed explained how many cricket bets are placed on what he called "brackets" - events happening in a group of 10 overs. If players score well in the first three overs punters would be likely to bet on that continuing for the next seven. But if the fixed players then deliberately STOP scoring or slow down, anybody in on it can "make a killing", said Majeed. The same happens with bowlers giving away runs or throwing no-balls. Not only is Majeed's information invaluable to syndicates involved in spread betting - where wagers are staked on a range of possible outcomes - it is also golddust for shady bookies looking to manipulate the odds in their favour. The following night - Thursday August 19 - Majeed demanded £10,000 then revealed to us there would be two no-balls in the following day's Oval play. That fix was cancelled on the day. So was a promised maiden over by captain Salman Butt on the Saturday - final day of the Test England lost. But just days later - with our extra £140,000 in his hands - he delivered the promised goods at Lord's.
Video footage and more coming soon on NOTW official website http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/news/924349/Cricket-in-the-dock-as-we-expose-betting-scandal-England-Pakistan-Test.html
Wow' date=' this is massive ... I recall all those allegations during the NZ/Aussie tour as well... no fire without smoke and now we finally have this. What now? Immediate 1 match bans for the players in the ongoing Test match? Another massive blow for Pak cricket![/quote'] fixed
Pakistan's team manager Yawar Saeed confirmed to Sky News that the allegations were being investigated, and according to Sky Sports News, police turned up at the team hotel in Swiss Cottage at 7.30pm, shortly after the close of an eventful third day of the Lord's Test, in which Pakistan were left on the brink of defeat after losing 14 wickets in the day.