Nestle sent a flier claiming orange juice not good for baby

Guest dada_rocks

Guest dada_rocks

My problem: Orange juice is the only thing my son likes. How factual is this nestle claim? Can this be discarded as just another false reserach gimmic of some company trying to sell its own product?

Re: Nestle sent a flier claiming orange juice not good for baby All I know is Orange juice is high in Vitamin C and is good for keeping that annoying flu away. Vitamin C when taken too much can cause damage too from what I know. To be honest over consumption of anything is bad for the body.

Re: Nestle sent a flier claiming orange juice not good for baby Havent seen the flier so can not comment on that. But if orange juice is the issue you can always squeeze some fresh ones at home. Takes 5 minute mate. Specially for kids it is so much better(with pulp and all..unless your kid doesnt like pulp). If you want to play safe I suggest you start making a bottle of juice every two-three days. There wont be any preservative(or extra sugar) and should be healthier too. xxx

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Nestle sent a flier claiming orange juice not good for baby actually we give him freshly squeezed only.. it's not even overdose just two tangrines squeezed daily as a bait to make him other not so platale things to his taste...... there should not be any problem with this ?

Re: Nestle sent a flier claiming orange juice not good for baby

actually we give him freshly squeezed only.. it's not even overdose just two tangrines squeezed daily as a bait to make him other not so platale things to his taste...... there should not be any problem with this ?
I think he should be just fine DR. In my opinion kids should be given lot of vitamin C as it makes one energetic and keeps a positive outlook. What was the flier about though? Did it say why not use Orange Juice? :chin:

Re: Nestle sent a flier claiming orange juice not good for baby Tangerines have about 40 calories thats 80 calories or two. 1 gram of sugar has around 10 calories, so thats around 5 grams of sugar because there are complex carbohydrates in the pulp. I dont know what the recommended value is for infants but that should be easy to check. For adults, its around the 30 gram range I think.

Guest dada_rocks

actually we give him freshly squeezed only.. it's not even overdose just two tangrines squeezed daily as a bait to make him other not so platale things to his taste...... there should not be any problem with this ?
I think he should be just fine DR. In my opinion kids should be given lot of vitamin C as it makes one energetic and keeps a positive outlook. What was the flier about though? Did it say why not use Orange Juice? :chin:
Nothing just blanket phrase " research shows" was used ..

Tangerines have about 40 calories thats 80 calories or two. 1 gram of sugar has around 10 calories' date=' so thats around 5 grams of sugar because there are complex carbohydrates in the pulp. I dont know what the recommended value is for infants but that should be easy to check. For adults, its around the 30 gram range I think.[/quote'] Shwetabh. 1 gm of sugar is 4 calories. Every carb has 4 calorie, so does protein and fat has 9 calories. In this case 80 calories will mean 20 gms of sugar as Tangerine/Orange does not have any protein or fat. Out of this 20 grams about 3-4 gms would be fibre(pulp). The net sugar content would be about 16-17 grams thus. Now a 180 pound person is supposed to intake about 2500 calories a day. I am not sure of the weight of DR's kid's weight but say he is about 40 pounds(DR correct me if I am wrong) he should be taking in about 500 calories plus per day. An ideal combination for kids would be 250 calories from carbs, 150 from protein and 100 from fat. Thus even if a kid has 80 calories from orange juice he should be okay. This of course is my amateur nutritional knowledge but it should give DR some pointer. xxx

1 gm of sugar is 4 calories. Every carb has 4 calorie, so does protein and fat has 9 calories.
My bad. Completely messed up the calculation. I dont think DR'd kid would be 40 pounds. IIRC he is not even a year old. In which case with your correct estimate the sugar intake does seem to be on the high side.

Nothing just blanket phrase " research shows" was used ..
Ahh that doesnt tell us anything, does it now. One quick thing comes to mind though. Kids, and this is true worldwide really, are encouraged to drink milk or juice growing up(both are liquid and are easily absorbed by body). Now milk obviously is the better option since it is a complete food. Juice only provides carbohydrates and no fat or protein. Another important thing to note here(and you really need to check this DR) is that milk is very rich in Calcium and Vitamin D and the likes while Juice are severely depleted. One glass of milk will possibly give you 25-50%(depending on brand) of Calcium per day for an avarage man, and about the same amount of Vitamin D. Now obviously for kids this should be more than enough. On the other hand Juice(say Orange Juice) has negligible amount of both Calcium and Vitamin D. And both of them are basic building blocks for healthy bones. So maybe thats what Nestle was hinting at. If you buy Orange Juice from Supermarket/Grocery stores go for Calcium fortified variety. xxxx

An ideal combination for kids would be 250 calories from carbs, 150 from protein and 100 from fat. Thus even if a kid has 80 calories from orange juice he should be okay.
Lurker, 250 calories would be recommended intake for all carbohydrates including complex. Since sugar is a simple carbohydrate and gets absorbed by the body very quickly it is recommended that the amount of simple carbs out of the total carb intake should be much less. I just googled and on the baiss of a 2000 calorie diet, 40 grams are recommended(I was under the impression its more like 30) which would extrapolate to 10 grams for a 500 calorie diet. All this is assuming infant calorie need and distribution is similar to adults of which I am not sure.

Lurker, 250 calories would be recommended intake for all carbohydrates including complex. Since sugar is a simple carbohydrate and gets absorbed by the body very quickly it is recommended that the amount of simple carbs out of the total carb intake should be much less. I just googled and on the baiss of a 2000 calorie diet, 40 grams are recommended(I was under the impression its more like 30) which would extrapolate to 10 grams for a 500 calorie diet. All this is assuming infant calorie need and distribution is similar to adults of which I am not sure.
Shwetabh, thats the key here. Older people are asked to eat complex carbs(like brown rice, oatmeal,potatoes etc.) since they take longer to digest and keep you "full". Look at it this way, a cup of brown rice will give you say 150 calories. You can eat just that and be full for 2-3 hours. Now a can of soda will give you 150 calories too but you would be hungry 10 minutes after gulping it. Average people(20-25 plus) are asked to take complex carbs as our metabolism slows down with age and hence we start packing on weight faster. Now if putting weight is a problem what will you go for? Brown rice or soda? Clearly the former, the complex carbs that is. In case of kids its not the issue, specially with Indian kids who do not binge like Western kids. They can have lot more sugars without issues. I mean kids age 2-3 or under can not eat(or digest) complex carbs like oatmeal/brown rice etc. They are only(or mostly) given liquid diets. Hope that explains. xxx PS: Thanks Ravi for kind words mate :wtg:

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Nestle sent a flier claiming orange juice not good for baby he is just 20 lb and 10 month old.. so lurker as per ur back of the envelope calculation total intake should be 250 calorie per day ( 125 from carb and rest fro protein and fat) ( I am not sure how accurate is the assumption of linear relationship between body weight and calory intake) 17 gm sugar meaning 68 calorie so it alone sounds oke .. but he is on breast milk so some sugar from that, andit might go beyond 125.. looks like will have to cut down to one tangrine.. thanks for all the informations guys

Guest dada_rocks

Lurker for dietician :wtg: ' date=' I'm pretty impressed with your range of knowledge Lurker :hail:[/quote'] icf's nutritionist :wtg:

Guest dada_rocks

In case of kids its not the issue, specially with Indian kids who do not binge like Western kids. They can have lot more sugars without issues. I mean kids age 2-3 or under can not eat(or digest) complex carbs like oatmeal/brown rice etc. They are only(or mostly) given liquid diets.
My son is already taking oatmeal cereal, he seems to digest it fine. Problem is he opens mouth only for orange juice . so we have to trick him showing juice bottle and put ceral instead in his mouth. still doesn't know how to spit out so keeps grunting but swallows it nonetheless. :lmao: . Every now and then we have to give orange juice otherwise he just throws kitchen sink at us. In just one tangrine juice tricking is going to be fun :lmao:

Re: Nestle sent a flier claiming orange juice not good for baby I hated milk and most of my childhood I just refused to drink it. I enjoy the the milk sold here, I realized I couldn't stand the fresh milk delivered at home back in India Try to put you son on Carrot Juice as he grows as well

In case of kids its not the issue, specially with Indian kids who do not binge like Western kids. They can have lot more sugars without issues. I mean kids age 2-3 or under can not eat(or digest) complex carbs like oatmeal/brown rice etc. They are only(or mostly) given liquid diets.
Rest of your post is spot on, Lurker but infants approaching the one year mark do start having complex carbs and though I am by no means any expert on infant nutrition it is said that even in the case of very young kids complex carbs are better than simple carbs due to a lot of benefits eg. less hunger pangs and better digestion. Moreover, I have seen many Indian kids over the past few years both in India and in the western countries who have attained or approaching obesity. Its about the lifestyle and with TV and video games taking over that there isn't much that separates and Indian kid from Western kids. Ofcourse, this paragraph is not applicable to infants. :hic:

Re: Nestle sent a flier claiming orange juice not good for baby Nothing that comes from a fruit can be bad as long as it is not over done.Problem is only if the child is having it excluding other stuff from the diet..eg. juice in place of milk.One just has to remember what the child needs and in what proportion. As for nestle.. they probably think they can do better than nature .