Does this really work???

King

Someone's forwarded me this email :

It works 100% of the time although the scientists at the Canada Research council (who discovered it) aren't sure why. To stop nighttime coughing in a child (or adult as we found out personally), put Vicks Vaporub generously on the bottom of the feet at bedtime, then cover with socks. Even persistent, heavy, deep coughing will stop in about 5 minutes and stay stopped for many, many hours of relief. Works 100% of the time and is more effective in children than even very strong prescription cough medicines. In addition it is extremely soothing and comforting and they will sleep soundly. I heard the head of the Canada Research Council describe these findings on the part of their scientists when they were investigating the effectiveness and usage of prescription cough medicines in children as compared to alternative therapies like accupressure. Just happened to tune in A.M. Radio and picked up this guy talking about why cough medicines in kids often do more harm than good due to the chemical makeup of these strong drugs so, I listened. It was a surprising finding and found to be more effective than prescribed medicines for children at bedtime, in addition to have a soothing and calming effect on sick children who then went on to sleep soundly.

Re: Does this really work??? A very interesting question this Ravi. I suppose one way to look at it is to realize the cause of the problem(which in this case would be coughing). Now in my opinion coughs are generally caused due to- a) some bacteria or virus b) due to allergies. The allergies are mostly due to pollen grain, sand dust and changes in temperature. You would often see kids getting sick with cough nd teary eyes when temperature changes suddenly in a day. That is basically becaue of allergis. I would say if the cough is due to bacteria/virus then this sock thingy wouldnt work. However if it is due to allergies it has a good chance. I say that because during night temperature shall change drastically(to give an example on cold evening 5 pm in India temperature would be about 12-15 Celcius which can go down to say 4-5 around 3-4 am). Now if you have your kids dressed in socks that will make sure his body heat remains trapped and it doesnt get effected. With Vicks it shall only increase the body temperature more. I can see this working really. I mean a lot of people(including me) tend to sleep with a bedsheet/blanket/comforter on top as it makes for a better sleep. Maybe this socks thingy does the same? xxx

Re: Does this really work??? wow!you think this will work in coastal climate too.... I have a student who comes to school so tired because he is coughing the whole night most times of the year.The parents have got all kinds of tests done but nothing! I will let them know this...may be they can try it out......

Re: Does this really work??? Sounds like hooey to me. Covering your feet will perserve the amount of heat in your body and that's important. If you're sick, you should sleep with gloves and a hat if you can. The Vicks vapor rub will work if applied to the chest as the vapors can ease breathing and maybe act as an analgesic. But feet? Other than that, this sounds like an extension of reflexology which is a hoax pure and simple. As I said, the only germaine bit of information I saw was about preserving heat.

Re: Does this really work??? Sound sleep and preserving heat is no breakthrough. Cavemen probably did the same. If you're hesitant to give alcohol to a child, ... that's understandable, ... but you're an adult, vodka will KNOCK YOU OUT. Sleep with a hat, gloves, socks. Put a little honey in your vodka (doesn't taste that good), but it will help you to sleep deeply. If you have a pre-teen in the family, use Sherry (instead of the vodka) if you're a little liberal. Other than that, there's no magic.