News articles on spot-fixing

SachDan

A really nice article on the Match Fixing Saga http://www.india-today.com/itoday/20000605/sports.html Till the other day, they were Indian cricket's pride and joy; now they are its biggest blabber mouths. Each time they speak, a great game is stripped that much more of its dignity. This past week, the match-fixing scandal took three decisive turns. First, on May 24, Manoj Prabhakar, the man who started it all in 1997 when he accused a then unnamed colleague of trying to bribe him, actually named the name. It was Kapil Dev, he announced, who had offered him Rs 25 lakh to play poorly in a match against Pakistan in the 1994 Singer Cup. Since I.S. Bindra, former president of the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI), had already told CNN earlier in the month that Kapil was the alleged culprit, Prabhakar seemed to speak along expected lines. The following day, Kapil hit back at a tempestuous press briefing. He matched Prabhakar patriotic bluster for patriotic bluster, even refusing to answer a question in English at one stage because "I am proud to be an Indian". The cornerstone of his argument was not logic but, in inimitable Kapil style, true, unbridled passion. "I will not allow him to go like that. This time I will play hard ... Punjabi hoon. Maine maa ka dhudh piya hai, bakri ka nahin (I'm a Punjabi. I have drunk mother's milk, not goat's milk)". The nub of Kapil's defence was that from "day one Prabhakar did not like me". Of the people Prabhakar claimed to have taken into confidence after Kapil's supposed offer, Ravi Shastri confirmed he had been told as much. Others, from Sunil Gavaskar to one-time pace bowler Prashant Vaidya, denied Prabhakar had even mentioned anything of the sort. It was a non-stop drama so contorted as to make a badly scripted Hindi film seem like Citizen Kane. Even so the upshot was, to quote Prabhakar's deposition before the Justice Y.V. Chandrachud Committee in 1997, "I have no evidence to prove my statements." Now it appears he does. Over the past two months Prabhakar has collaborated with website tehelka.com to help put together a video documentary called Fallen Heroes: Inside Story of a Nation Betrayed. The documentary is a highly unorthodox "undercover investigation" of the cricket scandal and includes conversations recorded with some of the biggest names in the game -- on the field and in the BCCI office -- using, in the words of a Tehelka journalist, "a spycam". India Today was allowed a preview of sections of the transcript of the tapes, which raise the curtain on a new act in an unedifying play that just refuses to end. The highlight of Fallen Heroes is the conversations Prabhakar appears to have had with three people. One, Jaywant Lele, BCCI secretary. Two, Ajit Wadekar, Indian team manager in 1994. Three, cricketer Navjot Sidhu, Prabhakar's roommate on that tour. In the conversations, which the website says took place in the respective homes of the unsuspecting "interviewees", Prabhakar seems to ask them why they did not stand by him or take necessary action even though he had informed them -- or so is the inference from the transcript made available -- of Kapil's offer. The responses (see transcript excerpts) range from loquacious Lele, "There are three persons. Azhar, Jadeja and Kapil"; to wary Wadekar, "Hmm. How can I take the name in public? I had written in the report. But who reads the report"; to shy Sidhu, "Whatever he talked with you, I went away ... It did not happen in front of me. You told me later about it". The real dynamite -- which given Lele's track record is bound to be denied at the earliest -- is the BCCI secretary's observations on Kapil as (current) team coach. In the third Test against New Zealand at Ahmedabad in 1999, India was in a position to make the visiting team follow on but inexplicably chose to bat again. Cricket fans were baffled. Since the match-fixing scandal exploded, various bookies -- including many India Today has spoken to -- have hinted that some punters made much money thanks to that one strange decision. Lele, in the transcript of the chat the website says he had with Prabhakar, seems to throw fresh light on it. Some "10-15 minutes" before the New Zealand innings ended, Lele says, "me and Chandu Borde went to" Kapil. The coach apparently told them that the Indians were going to bat again. At this point, says Lele, chief selector Borde looked aghast, "What? You must give follow-on, what are you talking?" Lele quotes Kapil as insisting, "No, no, I want to bat again." When Lele later asks Sachin Tendulkar, "What happened?" the captain mutters, "The coach insisted that we should bat ... What can I do?" Next, Lele is quoted as saying, Kapil passes off the move as "the captain's decision". Mohammed Azharuddin and Ajay Jadeja also figure in the transcript. Rakesh Maria -- commissioner (railways), Mumbai and in 1994 chief of the city police's Crime Branch when he apparently stumbled upon a conversation that had a bookie pre-deciding a match with Indian cricketers in New Zealand -- tells the website that match-fixing is rampant, that "Anees was doing it, Chota Shakeel is doing it, Sharad Shakeel is doing it", that Azhar is "smart that way" because he keeps changing his cell phone, that the former Indian captain has "a criminal bent of mind". Where this will lead to is still unclear. So far there is little hard proof against individual cricketers. This week Ravindranath Sawani, who heads the CBI team inquiring into the scandal, said in an interview, "Ajay Sharma was in touch with the bookies and some players. He is the only one against whom we have evidence." The Sharma-Azhar connection became public when India Today broke the story ("Who is Guilty?", May 1). Further vindication is provided by the website when it quotes Ritu, Ravi Shastri's wife, as saying "Sharma's cousins" tried to barge into her house at 11 p.m. to get Ravi to "sign a contract". Her husband was then out of town. With Ritu's story the dubious aura about Sharma only turns a shade darker. Unfortunately, the transcript punctures greater reputations as well; and the flurry of charges still needs corroboration of criminal investigators. In sum, it has been a ghastly week for Indian cricket. Consider the dramatis personae. An fir was registered against Divya Nautiyal, Umesh Chandra and Manoj Prabhakar, directors of Apace Finance Leasing Ltd, at Kotwali police station, Nainital on August 9, 1999. The charge? Defrauding investors. Interestingly, the transcript quotes Lucknow-based Nautiyal as saying that he used to lend money to Sharma and Azharuddin. Take Kapil, a man who never sledged on the field -- reduced to shrieking expletives before the media. Who's the devil? Who's the angel? Nobody knows. Who's hurt? Look into a mirror. Lele: 'There are three people' Lele: ... There are three persons. Azhar, Jadeja and Kapil ... What is Jadeja, is all Kapil ... But I don't have any proof. Manoj Prabhakar: Sir, why have you taken Kapil as a coach then? L: That was the biggest mistake. Let me tell you. I can swear by my wife. I told Dalmiya. I said this is the third consecutive mistake you are doing. You will realise you are making a mistake ... Wadekar: 'I told Dalmiya' Manoj Prabhakar: Sir, you should have done something. When I came to you and told you Paaji (Kapil) was involved ... Ajit Wadekar: Hmm. MP: Sir, if you had said something then the whole thing would have been cleared. AW: No, I had written in the report. But who reads the report. MP: About Paaji? AW: Hmm. How can I take the name in public? MP: You told them (Bindra and Dalmiya) Kapil was doing this? AW: That's right. They know. They all know. Sidhu: 'Leave my name out' Manoj Prabhakar: ... Kapil Dev came into the room. Navjot Sidhu: Yes. That he did ... I don't remember what happened ... But I don't want to get anywhere near this mess, leave mentioning my name. MP: I will be the last one to do that. You know me. NS: Even if you go to someone else, if you go to Wadekar, he will not go along with you. Nobody. After all, Kapil Dev is not an ordinary person. Secondly, I'm indebted to Kapil paaji. He gave me an opportunity to play... 'Azhar paid Rs 6 lakh for watch' Ravi Shastri: You know what he (Azhar) did with Pappu Butani? Manoj Prabhakar: Azhar? RS: He was sitting in the shamiana. You were playing then at the ground. This Titan, vitan Cup. MP: Me, Titan Cup? RS: Pappu knows. Azhar admired his watch. He told him 'It's nice.' Butani said, 'No man, it's a cheap one.' Azhar asked, 'How much?' Butani said, 'Rs 5-6 lakh.' Azhar said, 'One minute.' He went up, brought Rs 6 lakh in a bag, gave it to Butani and took his watch. Irani: 'Jadeja is a thug' Manoj Prabhakar: Are Jadeja and Azhar together (in the match-fixing)? Ali Irani (former Indian team physiotherapist): Yes. Jaddu was such a mischievous thug. You know what he used to do? Jaddu used to tell Azhar, 'Whatever you want me to do just tell me?' MP: Azhar used to say? AI: Azhar used to ask him, 'Do you want to do this? All right?' Jaddu would then sell the same thing at a heavy price elsewhere. MP: So he used to double-cross! He used to take from both Azhar and others? AI: What he has to do, he will do. Sachin saves the day Lele: This is related to India versus New Zealand match. At night ... said, 'You are losing tomorrow ... Jadeja and Azhar will be run out'. Anshuman (Gaekwad) at 2 o'clock ... went to Sachin's room. 'What do you feel about it?' He said, 'I will snatch an Indian victory' You will not believe ... everything happened exactly. Azhar was run out. Jadeja was run out. But Sachin saw to it that India won the game.

Wow...great article. Thanks for posting.. Does anyone know which match they are referring to in the last part when sachin won the match despite Jadeja and Azhar throwing their wickets?
I found a match against NZ where Azhar and Jadeja were run out but we lost it and Sachin only made 38. Have a look: http://uk.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/1997-98/OD_TOURNEYS/CCC/SCORECARDS/IND_NZ_CCC_ODI4_20APR1998.html
Thats one and only criticism i have of SRT ' date=' SG and RD among other who played the game in 90s ... they all knew that match fixing was happening but they never said anything ... B@stards ![/quote'] Well.....................I dunno. I reckon they might have told the BCCI who would have told them to shut up. I mean, I doubt they would have gone to the media.
Wow...great article. Thanks for posting.. Does anyone know which match they are referring to in the last part when sachin won the match despite Jadeja and Azhar throwing their wickets?
The matchfixing investigation was the biggest farce foisted upon the public, even greater than matchfixing itself. I remember trying to find matches/scorecards which were supposedly fixed according to the CBI report and what was completely out of place to what happened in the matches.

This match was the most blatant example ever:

In the Kanpur match India were 195 for five, chasing the West Indies total of 257 for six in 50 overs, when Nayan Mongia joined Manoj Prabhakar, who along with Sachin Tendulkar had opened the Indian innings. The two —Manoj and Mongia —instead of looking for quick runs, with India having to score 63 runs for a possible win off 43 balls, were content in picking up the odd single or the two and the asking rate, which was around seven when the fifth Indian wicket had fallen, rose first to eight and then to ten. But the two Indians made no effort to go for the West Indies bowling and were content to just bat along. Manoj Prabhakar ended the match with 102 runs to his name off 154 balls (his second hundred in one-day internationals) while Mongia scored just four off 21 balls as India slumped to a loss without even giving a game fight. Immediately after the match, according to Dr Chadha who was present at Kanpur in his capacity as national selector, Gundappa Vishwanath, who was chairman of the national selection committee, rushed to the Indian dressing room to talk to Manoj Prabhakar and Mongia. “But strangely enough,” according to Dr Chadha,” Manoj took the plea that there was no message from the Indian dressing room to speed up the scoring. Also, Manoj said, Mongia too did not bring any message from the dressing room to speed up the scoring”. At this point Vishwanath told the Indian allrounder that he was too senior a player not to realise that India needed quick runs to make a match of it. This discussion took place in the Indian dressing room in front of all players of the squad.
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2000/20000511/sports.htm#3 I remember watching this game live. Had ICF been around then, the fury of ICFers would have crashed the internet itself after this game.
The matchfixing investigation was the biggest farce foisted upon the public' date=' even greater than matchfixing itself. I remember trying to find matches/scorecards which were supposedly fixed according to the CBI report and what was completely out of place to what happened in the matches.[/quote'] arey yaar everybody knows/knew that Jadeja , Mongia and Azhar were involved. We all could see that even without those transcripts , interrogation and interviews I still remember that these 3 @ssholes use to get run out at crucial moments but still Jadeja and co shamelessly dont mind giving interviews on TV channels ...
Immediately after the match, according to Dr Chadha who was present at Kanpur in his capacity as national selector, Gundappa Vishwanath, who was chairman of the national selection committee, rushed to the Indian dressing room to talk to Manoj Prabhakar and Mongia. “But strangely enough,” according to Dr Chadha,” Manoj took the plea that there was no message from the Indian dressing room to speed up the scoring. Also, Manoj said, Mongia too did not bring any message from the dressing room to speed up the scoring”. At this point Vishwanath told the Indian allrounder that he was too senior a player not to realise that India needed quick runs to make a match of it. This discussion took place in the Indian dressing room in front of all players of the squad.
But this one is implicating Prabhakar...???

Prabhar was maha H@rami ... even his other businesses were frauds and yes I remember that game ... and there were other few where Azhar Mongia and Jadeja got run out at crucial times or got someone else out but the biggest joke was when Ind played Pak in 99 wc .. Azhar's place in the side and captaincy depended on that game and he shamelessly scored a 50 (dropped twice) the field was inside the circle and he found difficult to clear it in last 5-10 overs ..