Be Indian..baby American.

Lurker

We shall call her S. I have known S for more than 6 years now. She is one of the strongest person I have ever known. Amongst other things I have seen her do is to take on India's ace IT company for being bypassed for promotion for non-work reason, move to US bag and baggage and develop an identity of her own, without an aota of help from anyone. Currently she is the Project Manager for another IT biggy with about 40 odd person under her, mostly in USA and India. If you think I have great respect for her then you are right. The story starts about 5 months back. She has to get a few people "on-site" as the account she manages has grown. To do this she interviews people from her "off-shore" team. She picks a few and rejects others. Amongst those rejected is Mr X. Now X wants to come on-site for a position that is completely non-compliant with what his skillset is. However since the company could not find anyone else X is sent on-site or else the position will end up with a competitor. S doesnt like it for obvious reasons but hey such things happen everyday in IT. Now X is on-site. After the first couple of weeks he starts coming late to work everyday, sometimes leaving for an hour or two in between office-time. When S hear about it she asks X who makes some excuse and promises it wont happen again. Of course it starts recurring. So S checks out with the team to make sure everything is okay, there are no inter-project rivalry and everything and the response she receives completely shocks her. "His wife is 6 months pregnant. He has to take her to Doctor for the check-ups and stuff. And sometimes he would much rather work from home etc etc". Now S is miffed. It is only professional to tell that your wife is pregnant(that too 6 months pregnant) when you come on-site. X is confronted again, given a big earful but what can you do?? He is already here and he wont be sent back anytime soon. After a couple of months comes the dreaded 3-weeks paternity leave. Now S is pissed further. It is like a person joining a new position and after 3 months of work ask for 3 weeks vacation. She refuses and allows 1 week leave. X takes the matter to HR who send out a rather strong email to S telling of "company policy" in case of pregnancy. S stands her ground and send back an even stronger email to either give her a replacement for 3 weeks or mind their own business. No more is heard about it. X gets 1 week holiday only. 3 months after the kid is born X asks for a transfer back to India. A good solid effort of 6 months doing absolutely nothing on-site at company's expense and making life miserable for everyone else. Yesterday afternoon I met a friend who knows X. As his discussuion pops up my friend tells me smilingly how proud X is to "achieve" what he had come to US to do, "get the American citizenship for his kid". Late evening I was walking through my apartment complex. I am not sure if it was my mental situation or if it was just the way things were but I swear I could see every fourth, maybe third Indian woman as an expectant mother. Seems everyone I looked I could see them ready to pop out a baby carrying an Indian flag. Be Indian...baby Indian. Mera Bharat Mahaan :salute: xxxx

Re: Be Indian..baby American. Lurker, please start one more thread about Y (White male CEO,PM) who makes millions , promotes blonde gals, enjoys corporate parties , plays golf all the time, delegates all complex tech work to desis etc etc. And Y is able to do all this because of cheap labor through more by out sourcing to India or getting cheap H1B consultants etc. OP is racial pigeon holing to some extent, IMO.

Re: Be Indian..baby American.

Lurker' date=' please start one more thread about Y (White male CEO,PM) who makes millions , promotes blonde gals, enjoys corporate parties , plays golf all the time, delegates all complex tech work to desis etc etc. And Y is able to do all this because of cheap labor through more by out sourcing to India or getting cheap H1B consultants etc. OP is racial pigeon holing, IMO.[/quote'] Here is one for you KR. Is currently happening with the most popular Indian IT company(and certainly the most famous Indian IT brand name) in AZ. There is this large US business conglomerate that has a large number of contractors from the Indian IT company. Very recently all these Indian contractors have been pigeon holed into smaller cubicles as they were before. In other words if a contractor would use a cubicle earlier, now there are two using it. What is strange is that other non-Indian contractors have been allowed to keep their work space as they used to be. The Indian contractors are facing a case of racism if you will and dont be surprised if you hear more about it. Perhaps unrelated to whatever you said but somehow came to mind so I shared it. Waise I didnt mean to imply all Indians do what I mentioned in OP. Of course not. However quite a few do it for sure and I am sure we have all witnessed it amongst us ourselves. xxx

Re: Be Indian..baby American. I have seen this mentality a lot actually in Canada and in UK. Be Indian but baby british/canadian. There is nothing wrong with in my opinion as long as it is kept to yourself and doesnt harm others. (this could be said about a lotta things) But evidently Mr.X has abused the system, and made a total twat of not only S but S and X's company. On a completely unrelated note i love your style of writing.

Re: Be Indian..baby American. When I was coming to US for the first time, I met a guy who was studying in Stony Brook University. He was coming back from Summer vacation in India. While chatting with him, I came to know that he had a US visa. The reason is same as provided by you Lurker. Perhaps his parents stayed in US for around an year I think before moving to India. The way person X did this is obviously in a very bad taste. Perhaps there are people who tend to achieve something by means which will tend to leave a bad mark on everyone. Inspite of knowing these wrong doings we sometimes cant do anything about it

Lurker' date=' please start one more thread about Y (White male CEO,PM) who makes millions , promotes blonde gals, enjoys corporate parties , plays golf all the time, delegates all complex tech work to desis etc etc. And Y is able to do all this because of cheap labor through more by out sourcing to India or getting cheap H1B consultants etc. OP is racial pigeon holing, IMO.[/quote'] Here is one for you KR. Is currently happening with the most popular Indian IT company(and certainly the most famous Indian IT brand name) in AZ. There is this large US business conglomerate that has a large number of contractors from the Indian IT company. Very recently all these Indian contractors have been pigeon holed into smaller cubicles as they were before. In other words if a contractor would use a cubicle earlier, now there are two using it. What is strange is that other non-Indian contractors have been allowed to keep their work space as they used to be. The Indian contractors are facing a case of racism if you will and dont be surprised if you hear more about it. Perhaps unrelated to whatever you said but somehow came to mind so I shared it. Waise I didnt mean to imply all Indians do what I mentioned in OP. Of course not. However quite a few do it for sure and I am sure we have all witnessed it amongst us ourselves. *****
Agree that some Indians do that. But , it's not like corporate america is saintly either. CEO salaries are at record high. The top management enjoy the kind of jet set life which they couldn't have dreamed about if it wasn't for the extra perks/bonuses they earn because some Indian Dude works for far less either in India or here. Nobody put a gun on their heads and asked them to hire Indians here or outsource to India. They do it , because enterprise can show more profit which translates to better salaries/perks for them. So , question is can we also generalize about white male CEO ? :huh:

Guest dada_rocks

Re: Be Indian..baby American. maternity ward mein kaam karte ho ka mian.. hamen to koi pregnant nahin dikhati hain..

Waise I didnt mean to imply all Indians do what I mentioned in OP. Of course not. However quite a few do it for sure and I am sure we have all witnessed it amongst us ourselves.
How many have you witnessed? I have witnessed none. And what did you mean by this in your OP?
Seems everyone I looked I could see them ready to pop out a baby carrying an Indian flag.

And what did you mean by this in your OP?
Seems everyone I looked I could see them ready to pop out a baby carrying an Indian flag.
I think that's just his mind telling him that he wants to be a papa. :hic:

Re: Be Indian..baby American. That's simply sad, making your better half run around to different countries while in full pregnancy :shrug: I can confirm there was one such stupid fella in this part of the world. We simply couldn't quite understand why the pair wanted to get to US just for the sake of giving birth to a baby in US of A? We thought they were kidding and when I seriously questioned his judgment he merely brushed aside saying he was only kidding. Later I was told by one of his contacts the pair indeed wanted to go to US of A to ensure the birth happened there. We found that so strange it wasn't funny. Now that Lurker has confirmed another instance of similar overtone I would think this may not be an one off incident. I later came to know he had to spend a fortune for the birth of the baby and he was struggling to find his feet in US of A. It seems he had to move to many different places as he had to change jobs all the time. If he had stayed back in NZ, he would have kept his 100k salary, the hospital charges would have been 0 cents and over it the hospital would have delivered 3 months supply of diapers free of cost to his doorstep :hic: This fella in question is an Indian that came to NZ in his early 30s with his wife. I thought something was wrong with this fella when the couple took a trip to Australia just because anyone arriving in Australia (from NZ I think) on a particular day was going to be given an Aussie permanent residency or something. He took off from work for couple of days and left to Australia just to disembark in a bid to get permanent residentship. Later he was obsessed with getting a NZ passport and many a times he mentioned his desperate desire to grab hold of a NZ passport. Once he did, he immediately made plans to leave this country. I never could understand why the heck he had to wait for a passport if he didn't want to live here. We had reports on telly a year or two ago this is a developing trend among immigrants. I'm quite sure he will not have found US of A as thrilling once he started to live there. I'm sure the passport he got for his kid will now merely be worth nothing more than just a piece of document. I'm also sure he will be looking still for greener pastures and forcing his family to move all around the globe in his pursuit of "The perfect place".

And what did you mean by this in your OP?
I think that's just his mind telling him that he wants to be a papa. :hic:
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Re: Be Indian..baby American. Typical Mr Y(White Male CEO) :hic: :hic: - http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070501/ap_on_bi_ge/britain_bp_ceo BP Chief Executive John Browne resigned Tuesday, hours after a judge lifted a legal injunction preventing a newspaper from publishing details of his private life and allegations that he misused company resources. ADVERTISEMENT The board named Tony Hayward, the head of exploration and production, as the new CEO effective immediately, BP said. Hayward, who had already been set to take over on Aug. 1, will have to repair BP's reputation after several high-profile operational and regulatory mishaps tarnished its image. Browne, 59, had been fighting since January to keep the Mail on Sunday newspaper from publishing details from an interview with a man with whom he had a relationship. BP said the newspaper had also sought to report allegations that Browne misused company resources ? claims it said an internal investigation determined were unfounded. In a statement, Browne said he was stepping down voluntarily "to avoid unnecessary embarrassment and distraction to the company." "For the past 41 years of my career at BP I have kept my private life separate from my business life," he said. BP said Browne's decision meant he would lose a bonus of up to 1.3 times his annual salary, worth in total over 3.5 million pounds ($6.9 million). He would also forgo inclusion in a share plan with a potential value of some 12 million pounds ($23.9 million). Shares in BP edged lower after the announcement, closing down 0.4 percent at 563 pence ($11.24) on the London Stock Exchange. "The board of BP has accepted John's resignation with the deepest regret," Chairman Peter Sutherland said. He called it "a tragedy that he should be compelled by his sense of honor to resign in these painful circumstances." Browne acknowledged in the statement that he had lied to a judge about how he met Jeff Chevalier, with whom he said he had a four-year relationship. "My initial witness statements, however, contained an untruthful account about how I first met Jeff. This account, prompted by my embarrassment and shock at the revelations, is a matter of deep regret." The Mail on Sunday suggested in a statement Tuesday that Browne should be charged with perjury. "That Lord Browne should have felt free to lie deliberately and repeatedly raises deeply worrying questions about the system of secret court hearing which is increasingly being used by the rich and powerful to prevent the public knowing the truth about their activities," the newspaper said in a statement. Browne rejected allegations that he misused company resources, calling them "full of misleading and erroneous claims. "I deny categorically any allegations of improper conduct relating to BP," he said. "The company has confirmed today that it has found no such wrongdoing." Browne's decision will allow Hayward to start with a clean slate, said analyst Jason Kenney of ING Group. After more than a decade at the helm of BP, Browne ? a close associate of Prime Minister Tony Blair ? had announced in January that he would resign at the end of July, bringing his expected departure forward by more than a year. Then his annual performance bonus for last year was cut almost in half as an oil spill in Alaska and a deadly refinery blast in Texas overshadowed record profit for the oil company. Last month, BP reported a 17 percent drop in first-quarter earnings on lower oil prices and declining production. Browne first joined the company in 1966 as an apprentice and worked his way up, taking the top job in 1995. He oversaw BP's expansion into the United States, involving a number of takeovers, including the 1998 merger with Amoco and the subsequent acquisitions of Arco and Castrol. But his attempts to fashion BP as an environmentally friendly oil company ? he was the first major oil company CEO to acknowledge global warming and masterminded BP's logo change from a shield to a flowerlike sunburst design the slogan "Beyond Petroleum" ? were undermined by the company's recent U.S. troubles. BP was forced to temporarily close some of its operations at the Prudhoe Bay oil field in Alaska because of a major pipeline spill and delayed the opening of its key Thunder Horse platform in the Gulf of Mexico. The 2005 explosion at its Texas refinery that killed 15 workers has so far cost the company around $2 billion ($2.04 billion) in compensation payouts, repairs and lost profit. Sutherland told shareholders at the annual meeting earlier this year that the company was making "good progress" on safety issues following refinery explosion and the oil spill. ___

Re: Be Indian..baby American. I have met many families whoz babies are Dual Citizens ( US and Canadian ) - mother went to US for holiday ( no visa ) baby born,. came back and bnow 2 citizenships

Re: Be Indian..baby American. I have observed this trend in the US and find it a bit disconcerting. But that's their personal choice and I have nothing against it. Maybe these "on-shore" or H1B parents dont want their kids to go through the hassles of being a non-immigrant "alien" in the US. The process of legal immigration to the US through employment is a major pain to say the least and the discrimination that one faces before that can sometimes leave their thinking a bit skewed. Cant blame them!! :shrug:

well who knows when their kids grow..India is superpower and Americans are looking for indian visa.. :hic: :hic: :hic:
I really hope I live to see that day :hmph:

Re: Be Indian..baby American. Its fact that middle class in USA is vanishing. In few years there will be either rich and poor.. whereas Indian middle class is growing. What we need is visionary leader .... When I was in India recently (Jan) dollar was 45 Rs..now its barely Rs. 40.. USA has huge debt ...

Re: Be Indian..baby American. ^^^ I am hopeful too. But I am not sure if a weak dollar is a good indicator of economic strength. For example, Japan's Yen is very weak but Japan is one of the strongest economies. At the same time the British Pound is horribly overpriced but Britain's economy is crap - apart from tourism, arms production and some banking I hardly see any economic players in there. But I am hoping against hope that India rises! :wtg: