Time for some hard decisions

Dhondy

Who should line up for that first Test, and who shouldn't? I don't pretend to know the answers. All I know that today, we have been rescued from utter humiliation by two players who, at one time or other, have been underrated by most of us. When Pathan made that wonderful, unbeaten 50 in the penultimate ODI, I'd wondered aloud on this place whether India could really afford to drop him. Today's performance was even more emphatic. He quite clearly has the best technique against pace among all current Indian players, bar Dravid, and has married that to a steely temparament. He should come into the side as a batsman who can bowl a bit, rather like NZ's Jacob Oram. It's common knowledge that I am a Ganguly sceptic. I never rated his chance on these bouncy pitches against world class bowlers, but today he showed that he is the hungriest bloke out there. The guy has fought tooth and nail for his chance, has got it, and is quite obviously determined to make the most of it. I take my hat off to this fighter. May he succeed. Therefore, both Pathan & Ganguly must play. Who misses out? I don't agree with the assumption that Sachin & Laxman are a certainty for this team. Both have rather poor recent records in Test matches, and frankly, don't inspire any sort of confidence whatsoever. It all boils down to whether Munaf is fit for the first Test. It would be a travesty if VRV Singh is played ahead of Pathan as a bowler, as he was in WI, with spectacularly deflating results. If Munaf's unfit, Pathan should replace him. It's quite as simple as that. The bowling then reads Pathan-Sreesanth-Zaheer-Kumble. If Munaf is fit, he must play, and one of Laxman or Tendulkar misses out. If Dravid cannot countenance this possibility, he must elevate himself up the order, and leave out Jaffar, a move that would be highly unwise, IMO. Practice match it may have been, but there was a lot at stake here, and it has clearly sorted the men from the boys. With so much riding on this Test series, we must not let past reputations come in the way. Throw out the weak-kneed and the infirm, and bring in guys who can stand there and scrap. Otherwise, it will be 69 for 5 all over.

Re: Time for some hard decisions yeah its great and gangs on these bouncy fast tracks at the age of 34 after a brilliant year of batting by him has really cheered me up. And its great that Pathan is gonna be in team after the wonderful last 6 months of bowling he has shown. His pace and control is going to be a real threat on these tracks.

Re: Time for some hard decisions Ganguly will play. And after this knock, even Chappell would have to vote yes, or his life could be in danger. Pathan probably have to play now given this 100. Pathan however should not be counted as one of the 4 bowlers. We should drop Jaffer and go with VVS as an opener. I do not want Dravid to open at any cost. Dropping SRT or VVS in favor of Jaffer would be silly, IMO. Bowlers should be Sreesanth, Zak, Kumble, Munaf/VRV.

Re: Time for some hard decisions Jaffer can not be dropped. He did well in Windies. He looks good solid opener, he will do well. Pathan not good enough to be selected as 6th batter. One knock and everyone goes crazy. If you guys want to select crapthan it is as number 8 batter to strenghten the batting not weaken it by throwing him in at 6. Let him prove he is reliable consisitent run scorer at test level before even thinking of him at no 6 bat.

Re: Time for some hard decisions

Jaffer can not be dropped. He did well in Windies. He looks good solid opener, he will do well. Pathan not good enough to be selected as 6th batter. One knock and everyone goes crazy. If you guys want to select crapthan it is as number 8 batter to strenghten the batting not weaken it by throwing him in at 6. Let him prove he is reliable consisitent run scorer at test level before even thinking of him at no 6 bat.
You are right, in that we shouldn't get carried away. But let's look at the reality. Jaffer has played like what 4 matches so far on this tour? And has he even crossed 10?

Pathan not good enough to be selected as 6th batter. One knock and everyone goes crazy.
You can repeat this till you are blue in the face, dsr, but fact is, Pathan will play, and on current form, he deserves to come in at 5 or 6, ahead of some of our illustrious parasites.

You are judging him on one dayers. We all know he is not odi player, unfair to judge him on this. Like judging Roa on odi's. These guys are suited to longer version of game
I don't want to go in with a bowler short. IMO, having Pathan as one of the 4 bowlers will be a big big mistake, unless he can strike his form of 2004 Jeet lo dil, which I don't see happening in the near future. On the other hand, his batting is quite valuable given our choking top order. It indeed is a difficult decision.

Pathan not good enough to be selected as 6th batter. One knock and everyone goes crazy.
You can repeat this till you are blue in the face, dsr, but fact is, Pathan will play, and on current form, he deserves to come in at 5 or 6, ahead of some of our illustrious parasites.
Now he is up to 5 :lol: What current form? A warm up ton and a few lusty blows in odi's :roll: You seem to be judging selection game by game on who scores most runs. Were you not calling for inclusion of Kathick in test team after a couple knocks in 20's and 30's in odi's?
Guest dada_rocks

Re: Time for some hard decisions Cynic in me tells that powers to be have elevated laxman for this scenario only so that if push comes to shove and ganguly has to be selected he gets forced to open and thereby fails and gets dumped forever.. let us see how it pans out

Re: Time for some hard decisions Pathan has never scored a ton in any form of first class cricket yet some want him selected as a batsman at number 6. How ridiculous and what an insult to batter dropped and other prolific batters in FC cricket. If you guys want him selected then only way is as one of the 4 bowlers. Problem is we all know his bowling sucks and will be like having 3 bowlers. Conclusion is that he should be dropped and if people want him selected then can only be at no 8 as one of the four bowlers.

You seem to be judging selection game by game on who scores most runs. Were you not calling for inclusion of Kathick in test team after a couple knocks in 20's and 30's in odi's?
No. You are mistaken. I actually exhorted others not to get carried away by his pretty cameos, as I felt that he didn't have the temparament to play a long innings.

Pathan has never scored a ton in any form of first class cricket yet some want him selected as a batsman at number 6. How ridiculous and what an insult to batter dropped and other prolific batters in FC cricket.
Insult to top order bats, yes, and they deserve it for being wimps. Ridiculous, no. It makes eminent sense.

You seem to be judging selection game by game on who scores most runs. Were you not calling for inclusion of Kathick in test team after a couple knocks in 20's and 30's in odi's?
No. You are mistaken. I actually exhorted others not to get carried away by his pretty cameos, as I felt that he didn't have the temparament to play a long innings.
Fair enough but there were plenty who were calling for his inclusion. After seeing a couple of good looking shots