Subramaniam Badrinath

thevortex

I thought we were done discussing about this guy, he is a player with limited abilities and makes batting look ridiculously difficult even when he is in full flow. Steyn and Morkel showed how much he is capable of in the 2 test matches he played and that for me is a true testament to this guy's talent. Well it is true that he dint get that many chances but he definitely did not set the world on fire with the chances that he got.

badrinath is a joke of a batsman at international level. he has no clue how to play pace bowling. to even think about him as someone that can potentially replace one of india's top batsmen is ridiculous. i would take pujara, rahane, or virat kohli ahead of him any day. even wasim jaffer would be better than him. i didnt know che guevara played for india
Don't tell me you were thinking of Yuvraj Singh in responding to fineleg's comment??

I don't think Badri has the mettle to play the the international level.His technique seems to be pretty restrictive and he struggled big time against Steyn and co. Infact I remember one game between India XI and the Board's President's XI, at that time Ishant used to be in full flow, and he really gave him a torrid time with the in-dippers. I would rather opt for Pujara(for sure), Raina(though we know he's technically not adept at playing short pitch stuff but still he did slug it out at important moments in SL and hence deserves a chance) and Murali Vijay. Though even Vijay did not set the world on fore against SA but he did appear more comfortable. Sometimes its not about the runs scored,though that is the ultimate thing,but the impressions that you leave while playing and Vijay looked decent in his outings.

It is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Badri's confidence has taken a huge beating in the last few years. So now, everytime he walks to the crease, he carries a bigger burden on his shoulders than a Rohit, Raina or Kohli. The chance of Badri failing (or rather not being given another chance!) is much higher than any of the others. As for his "failing" against Steyn, let's not forget in that match Steyn pwned every single Indian batsman (with the exception of Sehwag). So why single out Badri? I am not a fan of Badri (in fact I used to criticize him a lot not so long ago) but I will admit that, compared to other players, he has not been given enough chances to prove himself. Having said that, I don't believe in a conspiracy theory at work. He was always seen as a Test batsman - and with Dravid, Sachin, Laxman, Ganguly - there is no way he would have got in. Yes, after Ganguly left, he could have entered the scene but Yuvi clinched it with a few impressive performances. Tough on Badri but that's how the dice rolls. Pure bad luck that (a) he was seen primarily as a Test player and therefore could not enter via another format (b) happened to be in an era of the best middle-order setup India has ever had © had to compete even on the reserves bench with the likes of Yuvi and Raina who had more visibility due to their presence in other formats. Indeed his time may have come and gone. Too much competition for too few places.

It never fails to surprise me how 2 Tests can be seen as adequate grounds for judging the calibre of a player stepping up to the international level for the first time. And it also never fails to surprise me that his half century is never talked about which too came about against the South Africans in the course of that 2 Test period!

he is close to 30s.no point in giving him chance.
I don't agree with you totally on not bringing in a player just because he's 30 odd. We have so many examples of late bloomers all around specially in Austrailia. I know we can't compare the 2 cultures but still not considering him just because of his age would be a tad unfair.

His time has run out. I used to be his ardent supporter based on his domestic record. His situation is different from Rohit sharma situation. He should compare himself more to Mike Hussey than to Rohit. When Hussey was picked he was old. He had to perform from the get go. He did just that. Badri is in similar situation. He has to deliver consistently match after match. Not 50s, 60s. He gotta score 100s.

Badrinath is useless. And no' date=' this is not judging him solely on the two tests against South Africa. He has failed in pretty much every high profile first class match as well be it the Board President's XI matches against touring sides, Irani trophy etc.[/quote'] Useless eh? :) If a player can score a half century against Steyn and Co. once in his first 2 Tests (even if it is at home) I will not be that hasty in grading him nor would I be so crass in undermining him. But that could just be me. And selective viewing of statistics- as in what you are saying above - has no limit. We could blow a hole through even Tendulkar with selective statistics. Where then is poor Badrinath? :) We will have to continue to agree to disagree.
Don't tell me you were thinking of Yuvraj Singh in responding to fineleg's comment??
obviously not. yuvraj isnt an established test player either. but anyway, iwould still take yuvraj over badri, no contest there. but i was referring to when badri was called up as a replacement for tendulkar, laxman in the past. the guy isn't 1/10th the batsman they are.
Useless eh? :) If a player can score a half century against Steyn and Co. once in his first 2 Tests (even if it is at home) I will not be that hasty in grading him nor would I be so crass in undermining him. But that could just be me. And selective viewing of statistics- as in what you are saying above - has no limit. We could blow a hole through even Tendulkar with selective statistics. Where then is poor Badrinath? :) We will have to continue to agree to disagree.
Stats? I didn't even use any. On the contrary you are singing praises of that 56 runs he scored for months now. Did you watch that innings. He scored most of his boundaries in the thirdman region through edges and could barely play any emphatic strokes in the entire innings. And that was no exception. I have seen him play the BP XI match against Australia a couple of years back as well. It was the same story against Lee, Clark etc. So analyzing performances against better bowling attacks as opposed to Himachal Pradesh is selective viewing of stats according to you? If that's the case I won't bother wasting any more time here. Suffice to say, Badri is crap and will never be getting anywhere near the Indian test team in the future.
Stats? I didn't even use any. On the contrary you are singing praises of that 56 runs he scored for months now. Did you watch that innings. He scored most of his boundaries in the thirdman region through edges and could barely play any emphatic strokes in the entire innings. And that was no exception. I have seen him play the BP XI match against Australia a couple of years back as well. It was the same story against Lee, Clark etc. So analyzing performances against better bowling attacks as opposed to Himachal Pradesh is selective viewing of stats according to you? If that's the case I won't bother wasting any more time here. Suffice to say, Badri is crap and will never be getting anywhere near the Indian test team in the future.
Lets get this straight Outsider. A half century out of 4 innings against South Africa with Steyn and Morkel in the mix is not half bad. I have not seen too many people coming out and accepting that fact in this forum. And that is the only reason I am making a prudent mention of this. While so many among the forum relentlessly mention his being shot out by Steyn not many find it in them to acknowledge the half century. Does not make good cricketing sense, does it? I will not even go into how well Steyn was bowling in that spell and what some of the other batsmen got against him. And what problem pray do you have with him scoring runs in the 3rd man region?! I find this particular theory to be ludicrous - honestly. And please - not all runs scored there have to be edges. Are you trying to undermine a half century by saying he scored through edges and scored in the 3rd man region? I mean, seriously? :) About statistics you know where I stand and vice versa. Suffice it to say that Badri has a very good domestic record compiled over many seasons. And I will not be surprised if he makes it back to the Indian team - even in the Test squad. In fact I think he should be considered up front when the big 3 move out. His age then would be an added advantage. This is the point which I think many are missing when they diss his age. Like I said, please feel free to disagree.

I agree with a lot of posters, the boat's sailed for Badri. I don't see an opportunity for him to get selected. If fit and available our batting line up would be Gambir, Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman, Dhoni. Assuming Dhoni plays at number 7, the only available slot is the number 5 or 6 slot depending on where Laxman plays. Yuvraj/Raina/Rohit Sharma/Pujara/Murali Vijay - one of these 5 would be in line for that slot - not necessarily in the order that I've mentioned - I can't see Bbadri getting a chance over them.

Lets get this straight Outsider. A half century out of 4 innings against South Africa with Steyn and Morkel in the mix is not half bad. I have not seen too many people coming out and accepting that fact in this forum. And that is the only reason I am making a prudent mention of this. While so many among the forum relentlessly mention his being shot out by Steyn not many find it in them to acknowledge the half century. Does not make good cricketing sense, does it? I will not even go into how well Steyn was bowling in that spell and what some of the other batsmen got against him. And what problem pray do you have with him scoring runs in the 3rd man region?! I find this particular theory to be ludicrous - honestly. And please - not all runs scored there have to be edges. Are you trying to undermine a half century by saying he scored through edges and scored in the 3rd man region? I mean, seriously? :) About statistics you know where I stand and vice versa. Suffice it to say that Badri has a very good domestic record compiled over many seasons. And I will not be surprised if he makes it back to the Indian team - even in the Test squad. In fact I think he should be considered up front when the big 3 move out. His age then would be an added advantage. This is the point which I think many are missing when they diss his age. Like I said, please feel free to disagree.
Did we not have a detailed discussion here on this topic, post 57 onwards? http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?t=231111&highlight=Badrinath&page=2

Its amazing how opinions get formulated so easily about players. I remember how, everything seemed to going quite well for Badri, when Chandan penned a few posts on how Badri has been a failure in some of the more high profile matches he has played, where the quality of attack has been by and large, at a notch higher than FC matches. And lo and behold, the opinion of one single person (no disrespect to her, she was just expressing her opinion, which she is absolutely entitled to) soon transformed to become conventional wisdom. :icflove: The fact of the matter is, much like someone like Amol Mazumdar, Badri has been unfairly dealt with over the years, often overlooked for the middle test spot in favor of already established ODI bats. Plus, his batting style has no silken touch or an aggressive streak to it and what we have increasingly seen over the years is that the selection seems to be subconsciously biased towards those batsmen who are either pleasing to the eye, or very aggressive in nature. And Badri does not have the style of a conventional sub continental batsmen, who are generally free-flowing in their arm extensions, especially when they’re driving through the ‘V’. He has a very fidgety, jerky sort of technique where most of his drives are sharp jabs than flowing drives. This automatically creates an illusion of an inferior technique, though the truth is probably to the contrary. The dude averages a monumental 57 in FC cricket in a career that has spanned nearly a decade. Now, that alone shouldn’t clinch his selection, but we have seen enough of his batting in other challenging conditions to know that he has whats it takes to succeed as a middle order bat in international cricket.

Useless eh? :) If a player can score a half century against Steyn and Co. once in his first 2 Tests (even if it is at home) I will not be that hasty in grading him nor would I be so crass in undermining him. But that could just be me. And selective viewing of statistics- as in what you are saying above - has no limit. We could blow a hole through even Tendulkar with selective statistics. Where then is poor Badrinath? :) We will have to continue to agree to disagree.
Did you even watch that inning? The only shot that he had against fast bowlers was the edge. Nothing in front of the wicket. The other innings were embarrassing: Just getting beaten for pace pure and simple and that too on Indian wickets. You've got this annoying tendency of lumping everything that you disagree as statistics and then harp on about "Thats not the way the game is played :)". Now tell us if you actually watched that supposedly heaven-fed 50 and then you may carry on.
Now' date=' that alone shouldn’t clinch his selection, [b']but we have seen enough of his batting in other challenging conditions to know that he has whats it takes to succeed as a middle order bat in international cricket.
Hmmm....where have 'we' seen Don Badrinath perform in challenging conditions? On the contrary he has failed in every single high profile FC match over the last few years. Failed against South Africa in tests, failed in 2009 Irani trophy, failed in BP XI match against Australia, failed in 2008 Irani trophy, failed against Australia A in 2008, failed in 2007 Irani trophy.