What does success mean to you?

The Outsider

Obviously, its not a question with a straightforward answer because even at one point of time in life people work towards success in multiple things. Plus the level one wants to get to also differs from person to person and also what he is trying to be successful at. What is success for you - having a happy personal life, a caring wife, loving kids, adoring parents, or earning lots and lots of money, or a creative /artistic satisfaction, or being known around the world for a prolific profession life, or any other things which life is a juxtposition of, or a combination of many things in varying amounts? For me creative satisfaction and a cheerful personal life have always been the most important things by which I have measured my success. Ofcourse, there is no existence without money but my goals in life have rarely if ever been driven by its pursuit. The joy which comes from solving a problem in a manner which is my own design makes me feel successful and satisfied. The pleasure I get from chatting with my loved ones for long hours, sharing jokes with them, enjoying their laughter makes gives me the feeling of having a successful life. Whats more not being able to feel creative or during phases when my personal life has gone through the lows makes me value the successful times even more and drives me to replicate those times. So how do you define success?

Re: What does success mean to you? Tough question Shwetabh. I am not sure if there is a quickfire way to adress your question but here are a few thoughts on top of my head. 1) Success is ability to be self-sufficient. In every way. I deem a man/woman successful who is not dependent on anyone else. 2) Success is ability to get things you desire without worrying too much about it. By things I do not mean stuffs like buying a castle or a mini-plane. More like if you want to go out and have a good evening you should not worry about it. I mean the ability to go to a half-decent store and get jeans for 100$ and not worry about the damages. 3) Success is when you have financial stability and the wherewhithal to share it with people. I mean whats the point in earning 100K when you are not able to share with people you love most in life - parents, siblings who are in India? Wouldnt success much rather be earning 50,000 INR a month and celebrating Holi, Diwali instead? 4) Success is when you can sit and make stuff out of your head for kids. When you can sit down and create a story and watch how he/she listens attentively as you are his hero. 5) Success is when you are so self-confident of yourself that you do not try to be something that you are not. That you are pretty comfortable with who you are. 6) You know you are a successful person in life when you do not judge a man by the size of his wallet. xxxx

Re: What does success mean to you? Success for me to pursuing happiness. and what is happiness...its achieved while pursuing worthwhile goal or dream.. At one point of my life graduating and finishing BE was huge success for me..as no one else in my family had ever achieved it. Success is relative, but its also related to happiness.

Re: What does success mean to you? for me, success is being able to achieve your goals. i guess then the question is what are your goals? i never sat down to define my goals or criteria for success in life. i just set approx. boundaries and let life take me through the ride.

Re: What does success mean to you? I see success in small parts 1) Finishing my work 2) Making someone smile 3) Not getting sick 4) Be happy and spread happiness Long Term and on-going Take care of my folks Settle in Life with enough money so my kids would lead the same comfortable life like me Have enough so I could donate for the unfortunate Be a Good son, friend, lover, husband Most Important: I will be on top the world when I will shred some weight

Re: What does success mean to you? Success is when you have nothing to worry about, absolutely nothing. For now I have no worries whatsoever :hic: I quite like Varun's take on success.

Guest dada_rocks

Re: What does success mean to you?

My idea of success; $100K (or higher) a year + A hot car (valued at $25,000 or higher) + Hot chicks (big tits, nice body, etc) + A nice house/condo
U are easy to please man :lmao:

Guest dada_rocks

Ofcourse, there is no existence without money but my goals in life have rarely if ever been driven by its pursuit.
:wtg: Keep it up we have too many money-minded people in research these days. So much so that professors look like businessmen. Research fraternity can surely use some individuals who don't care about money much.

Guest dada_rocks

Happiness...a person who is happy is successful .... If you are happy and you make people around you happy ...then you are very successful.
Then try answering what makes u happy people will figure out what makes u successful.

Guest dada_rocks

When I am able to support a lot of unfortunate folks back home ... gives the kind of utter satisfaction that is hard to explain .....
We need more and more indians like you. Charity is not so popular back home. Everytime I have embarked on raising money for some charitable cause in India boy the kind of utterly humilating questions I have been asked can just put off any individual.

Guest dada_rocks

What does success mean to me ? Nothing. Overrated. We're all gonna die. Everything we do is insignificant. :help:
Quoting Ghalib: [align=center]Hathon mein jumbish na sahi, aankhon mein to dam hai. Rahne do abhi saagar-e-meena mere aage.[/align] [ Hath mein takat na sahin aankh abhi functional hai, is liye sharaab ki surahi saamne rahen do taki aakh se hi pi len] This is pinnacle of boozing

Re: What does success mean to you? I beleive we might be onto a good philosphical discussion here. I see a lot of people mention Happiness, one way or the other. But what exactly is happiness? Is there a way to describe it? Perhaps quantify it? How do you know if you were happier on day 1 than day 2? And if you can not make a comparison how do you know if you were more/less successful on day 1 than day 2?? In my personal opinion Happiness is very misleading trait of humans. For the simple reason that happiness is very much a variable of time. What makes you happy today would not make you happy tomorrow. In fact it can often make you wonder as to why did it make you happy back then in the first place? Here is an example. In my college days I would greatly dislike studying for the exams. Say we had semester exams starting Monday me, and my friends, would all be in my room huddled, one on table, another on bed, a few on ground and so on. Every single one of us hated to study but we had to. Then one of us would say, "Chal re mod pe se Dadoo ki dukaan se chai pee ke aate hain". Next thing you know we are all up and away, sipping tea, chatting about cricket, girls and movies etc etc...Very happy bunch...then comes Monday and we are all sweating like a pig in the exams...Of course afterwards we would all go to canteen, forget everything and enjoy life again. So what was happiness for us? Leaving studies for fun? Or forgetting the failure of exams to enjoy life in canteen? There is something not quite right about that, wont you agree? xxxx

Re: What does success mean to you? As a footer to my last post what defines success when it comes to most precious emotion of them all, Love? 1) Is success to come to this world and meet the love of your life? 2) Is success to come to this world, meet the love of your life and not get married? 3) Is success to come to this world, meet the love of your life, get married and then divorced? 4) Is sucess to come to this world, meet the love of your life and live happily hereafter? 5) Is success to come to this world and never meet the love of your life? Who the hell wants the jhamela? :chin: