Mary Kom wins world boxing championship

Sir john

sports19.jpg India's woman boxer MC Mary Kom on Saturday claimed a historic fifth successive World Championship title, beating Steluta Duta of Romania 16-6. Mary Kom, who competed in the 48kg category, had defeated Alice Kate Aparri of Philippines 8-1 in semifinal to assure herself of at least a silver in the sixth edition of the competition. The former Khel Ratna awardee from Manipur, thus, remained the only boxer to have won a medal in each edition of the World Championship. Duta had defeated Kazakhstan's Nazgul Boranbayeva 10-5 in the semifinal. Earlier, Mary Kom continued her chase for a historic fifth successive World Championship gold by becoming the only Indian boxer to enter the finals of the event with a thumping win in the last-four stage here. Mary Kom (48kg) defeated Alice Kate Aparri of Philippines 8-1 in the semifinals to assure herself of at least a silver in the sixth edition of the event. The former Khel Ratna awardee will now face old rival Steluta Duta of Romania who defeated Kazakhstan's Nazgul Boranbayeva 10-5. However, there was disappointment as well for India when Kavita (+81kg) settled for a bronze after losing 2-14 to Ukraine's Kateryna Kuzhel in the semifinals. But Mary Kom, a mother-of-two from Manipur who is the only boxer to have won a medal in each edition of the World Championship, ensured that the Indian camp had something to cheer about. "I am very happy to have come so far. I will do my best to win a gold even this time but I am not thinking too much about it because I need to focus on my game," the diminutive 27-year-old. :hatsoff::hatsoff::hatsoff::hatsoff::hatsoff::hatsoff: