Wireless Router help

Rajiv

Re: Wireless Router help Rajeev, Usually Routers are set to a 192.168.x.x starting address. You can follow holysmoke way to find out the address or get it from manual. By accessing the admin panel from browser using this address, there should be a way you can setup username and password and also secure the network using a Network Key which can be 16 - 26 characters long. I guess this will ensure that its secure not open and cannot be accessed without a key.

Re: Wireless Router help yea. he obv is talking about wireless >>>>>>>his question is how can he make it secure. he is saying that anyone can log into it type that ip in ur browser, and itll take u to the router page.. u shud be able to find your way around after that... :wtg:

Re: Wireless Router help yep.. now i dont know how its structured, but there must be something relating to security.. either in wireless, or as a separate section go there, select an encryption(for example..WEP).. set an encryption level(say 64 bits 10 hex digits)... either generate the key.. or type in ur own key.. using hex

Re: Wireless Router help ok, i got to tech support in india, mr. suresh told me the product was not supported anymore but tried to help me- he told me clear the old wep keys and put new ones..i clicked apply and I got page not found now after that, i can't even log in the router it shows page not found i goto ipconfig /all, there is no info on gateway I hit the reset button behind the router but no help disconnected like 5 times and nothing happens plzzzzzzzzzz help

Re: Wireless Router help Rajeev if the router does not even let u login, then there is definitely something wrong with it. Try a firmware upgrade & see if it helps. U should be able to download the latest firmware from the manufacturer. Even if not an upgrade atleast reimage it with the same version

Re: Wireless Router help to upgrade firmware dont you need to login? Rajeev do a hard reset Hard reset: Insert the paper clip to the reset button and hold it down for 15 seconds, while the paper clip is still in unplug the power cord that goes in to the router, now wait for 15 more seconds and then give the power supply back to the router, again wait for 15 more seconds and finally let the clip go. You will see the router's LEDs flashing. If this happens it means that we have successfully completed the reset.

Re: Wireless Router help To enable encryption, you need to log into the router's configuration page: Click on Login -> Advanced Setup -> Wireless -> Encryption Think up a Hexadecimal code with the appropriate amount of characters for the level of encryption you wish to use (Hexadecimal means you can use any number between 0 and 9, and the letters A through F).

Re: Wireless Router help My wireless LAN works perfect but Apo I have a question as it was on my mind. _________________________ My wireless lan's web configurator settings- Under "802.1x Authentication" Wireless Port control: Authentication required Re-Authentication Timer- 1800seconds Idle Timeout- 3600seconds Key managment protocol: WPA-PSK Pre-Shared Key: _ xyz_ :hic: Group Data Privacy- TKIP WPA Group Key Update Timer- 1800sec ______________________________ Question- What does "pre-shared" key mean? Shared with who? The router and the laptop only I hope? I don't remember if I had put in the key alphabets or there was an auto detection thing that created it. From those settings you think my wireless lan is rock solid?

Re: Wireless Router help Gai: Pre Shared Key is just a mode ( also known as personal mode) Actually what happened was that the first Wireless Security system was WEP or Wireless Equivalent Privacy which most people now also use. But there were limitations associated with it so WPA or Wi-Fi Protected Access came into picture. With WPA came PSK or Pre Shared Key require a passphrase also. Dont worry about the sharing name