Shashi Kapoor +

Gaurav

Where do you think Shashi Kapoor fits as an actor? Excellent, above average or average actor? I guess he did loads of movies with Amit but how do you rate Shashi? Whatever happened to his kids? I though some of them were good looking. I must say that Shashi was very handsome as a young man. Karan Kapoor looks so much like his dad. I guess he looked too white for Bollywood? What about Kunal? So are the Kapoor clan finished as far as Bollywood is concerned? karan.jpg With daughter- http://www.tribuneindia.com/2005/20050213/nat3.jpg nat3.jpg

Re: Shashi Kapoor + I dont think either of Shashi's kids seriously wanted to be in Bollywood... as an actor he was So-So... never saw him really "act" in any role. i.e. stretch beyond who he was... but he did not grate and was pleasant in every role... Boy did he get FAT though after his wife died... guess nobody to Nag him on his food and drink quota...

Re: Shashi Kapoor +

Where do you think Shashi Kapoor fits as an actor? Excellent, above average or average actor? I guess he did loads of movies with Amit but how do you rate Shashi?
Shashi Kapur was a fairly decent actor. In most of the roles that he played he was quite convincing. Actually I would go on to say his acting talents were not exactly used. He had a good solid theatre background(which is how he met his wife) and towards the latter stage of his career when he made movies on his own he came out with some real gems as in "New Delhi Times" , "Vijeta" , "Junoon" etc. The problem with Shashi Kapur was that very early on in his career he became "typed". He was too charming, suave and urbane looking to do anything but play the role of a college student or an Engineer or a Police Officer. Even towards the fag end of his career he had to play such roles. When Manoj Kumar made Kranti(in early 80's a good 20-30 years since he started) Shashi Kapur had a role that started off as an officer for British and later on has a change of heart. My point being Shashi Kapur was never thought of as a common-man hero. Like Amitabh was. One could never imagine Shashi being a labourer in Kala Pathar( a la Amitabh and Shatrughan in the same movie), he could not be thought of as a villager who comes to big city (a la Amitabh in Namak Halal and so on). He was too urbane looking and carried the mannerism too, kind of like Saif Ali Khan of today. However while Saif was lucky to run into Vishal Bhardwaj who changed people's perspection by casting him as Langda Tyagi(Omkara), no such luck for Shashi Kapur. His kids suffered with same problem. Karan Kapur was pretty dashing and his advertisment of Bombay Deings(Dream Lover) was a rage and frankly I doubt any other male model has raised the same oomph as Karan did. However in movies his dialogue delivery was not upto the mark and it was fairly apparent he was not comfortable with Hindi. Plus he had that White boy look that limited his appeal. Of his kids his daughter Sanjana Kapur was perhaps most convincing. Beautiful and good actress. Her role opposite Naseeruddin Shah in Hero Heralal drew a lot of applause(a good movie if you havent seen one). But again she was too suave, too tall, too Western kind of prettish looking for Bollywood. xxx

Re: Shashi Kapoor + Damn Lurker you know a lot. I don't know much about Bollywood...well apart from the obvious hit movies from my early years and odd new films. Btw who was Shashi Kapoor's mum? Was she Indian? Karan seems to have become a photographer http://www.karankapoor.com/ + is married and lives in London. Is his wife British or Indian? What about the other son of Shashi? He looked brown and Bollywood type to me. Just googled and realized that Shashi's daughter is with Valmik Thapar the tiger guy. Any connection between Valmik Thapar and Romila Thapar? I hope not :hic:

Re: Shashi Kapoor + Shashi Kapoor was a fairly decent actor...way better than most of today's stars.....check out the off beat movies he did with Ismail Merchant...Merchant made movies in English with Indian themes decades before the likes of Mira Nair and co came along....

. Btw who was Shashi Kapoor's mum? Was she Indian?
Arre haan na. Shashi Kapur is the son of Prithviraj Kapur, perhaps India's first superstar. He is the brother of Raj Kapur and Shammi Kapur, all from same mom.
What about the other son of Shashi? He looked brown and Bollywood type to me.
You are talking of Kunal Kapur. He was quite Indian looking and was pretty decent actor as well. He had a couple of good movies most notable one being Vijeta, perhaps the first movie about Indian Air Force. He was superb in that. Top drawer. Also had another nice movie Ahista Ahista opposite Padmini Kolhapure, the title song of which, "Nazar se phool chunte hi nazar ahista ahista" was a rage..boy how I loved the song. Lekin Kunal Kapur utna chala nahin. At that time seems every star had a son in industry. Around this time(early 80) Kumar Gauraw(son of Rajendra Kumar), Sanjay Dutt(son of Sunil Dutt), Sunny Deol(Dharmendra), Kunal Kapur(Shashi kapur's son), Kunal Goswami(son of Manoj Kumar), Rohan Kapoor(son of Mahendra Kapur the singer) were all showing up in movies. xxx

Re: Shashi Kapoor + She is quiet pretty. In a simple kind of way 17sanjana1.jpg

Arre haan na. Shashi Kapur is the son of Prithviraj Kapur, perhaps India's first superstar. He is the brother of Raj Kapur and Shammi Kapur, all from same mom.
Thanks for clearing it. Ma ka nam kya tha..I mean Prithvi Raj ki bebei? For some reason I thought that Shashi's wife and Shashi's mum were both British.

Thanks for clearing it. Ma ka nam kya tha..I mean Prithvi Raj ki bebei? For some reason I thought that Shashi's wife and Shashi's mum were both British.
Woh pata nahin GKD. Actually in the old days of Kapur's woman were kept a lot under curtains. It was very uncommon to hear about a Kapur wife. Even in 2nd generation(Raj Kapur, Shammi and Shashi Kapur) it was still the same. In the 60's, 70's and 80's when Raj Kapur was widely known as the Showman of Hindi cinema, his wife Krishna was never spoken of in media. The situation was a little better with Shammi and Shashi Kapur but that was basically because their wives(Geeta Bali and Jennifer Kendel) were celebrity themselves. When Babita(Karishma Kapur's mom) married Randhir Kapur she was a decent popular actress but she ran into the same issue. Not to mention Neetu Kapur who had to give up acting completely. Now of course this was not only true in Kapur khandaan as even likes of Jaya Bhaduri left movie after marriage. Long story short I dont know Shashi Kapur's mom name hehehehe :hic: Sanjana Kapur was pretty yaar. Mauka mile to watch Hero Heeralal..mast movie. xxxx

Re: Shashi Kapoor + Hehe, Prithviraj used to have a house next to my Granddad's, and they saw my bua once during one of their trips and wanted to get Shammi married to her. My granddad politely refused as they were "marasis", and didn't want nice brahmins to be associated with them :wall: :wall: I would've been so cool to have connections :duh:

Hehe, Prithviraj used to have a house next to my Granddad's, and they saw my bua once during one of their trips and wanted to get Shammi married to her. My granddad politely refused as they were "marasis", and didn't want nice brahmins to be associated with them :wall: :wall: I would've been so cool to have connections :duh:
Sacchi mein? Well you can patent your SuperSelector and make sure Karishma Kapur or Karina Kapur are not allowed to play them!! Serves them right I say :mad: :mad:

Hehe, Prithviraj used to have a house next to my Granddad's, and they saw my bua once during one of their trips and wanted to get Shammi married to her. My granddad politely refused as they were "marasis", and didn't want nice brahmins to be associated with them :wall: :wall: I would've been so cool to have connections :duh:
Sacchi mein? Well you can patent your SuperSelector and make sure Karishma Kapur or Karina Kapur are not allowed to play them!! Serves them right I say :mad: :mad:
Yup. Just reading the link you posted above, I can see why they might've liked bua 'coz she looked a lot like Prithviraj's wife, and our background seems so similar (just looking at the words used to address them.. chaiji, papaji etc).

Yup. Just reading the link you posted above, I can see why they might've liked bua 'coz she looked a lot like Prithviraj's wife, and our background seems so similar (just looking at the words used to address them.. chaiji, papaji etc).
I didnt know that Chaiji means Mom in Punjabi. Does your family have any connection with Kapur's still?