Credit to Dhoni?

kabira

He must have obviously had a gut feel and decided to go by it and it paid off rich dividends. Though even he wouldnt have expected Ishant to have picked 3 wickets (4, if you count Clarke's double dismissal) in the space of 10 balls. Yet, it was the very same Indian fans who slammed him left, right and center when he chose to give the super over to Aswhin in the CL T20. Fact is, captains make judgment calls all the time. If it comes off, he looks like a genius. If it doesnt, everyone's up in arms.

Dhoni is that kind of captain. Goes for his hunches. Sometimes they will work. Sometimes they wont. Ishant did himself no favours with his bowling displays in the first innings. But starting with Ponting's wicket, he came back. He got Watson with an absolutely innocuous delivery. Ponting's was not necessarily a wicket taking ball. Problem was Ponting was trying to keep the ball on the ground and therefore presented an opportunity to Raina at short square leg. Michael Clarke though faced a full barrage of aggressive fast bowling. And Ishant was bowling close to 140 kmph. That is where he needs to be. I wish our fast bowling coaches tape this spell and use it as reference for Ishant's wrist position and follow through. He has to stop looking to bowl those leg cutters - he was not getting wickets with them anyway! Lastly about Dhoni - there will be praise because this worked! But Ponting struck that ball well. It could have gone anywhere. There was an element of luck in that ball going straight to Rain and that too at a good height :). This must not be discounted. On the surface of it, Ishant had not been bowling fast enough to trouble Ponting with a short ball. But Dhoni seemed to know something we did not and was confident enough to execute it on the field. Good, brave and supportive leadership.

He must have obviously had a gut feel and decided to go by it and it paid off rich dividends. Though even he wouldnt have expected Ishant to have picked 3 wickets (4, if you count Clarke's double dismissal) in the space of 10 balls. Yet, it was the very same Indian fans who slammed him left, right and center when he chose to give the super over to Aswhin in the CL T20. Fact is, captains make judgment calls all the time. If it comes off, he looks like a genius. If it doesnt, everyone's up in arms.
Pretty much but calls like giving super over to Ashwin was an obvious bad call. Going with Ishant today worked but the match wasnt on line, so it doesnt have that big of a risk as opposed to say giving joginder sharma the last over in the T20 cup final, which also worked. There are also plenty of times that such calls doesnt work out as well. As much as some of his calls worked, he is also the one who kept Rohit sharma, Jadeja and Karthik in the team for so long.
wish our fast bowling coaches tape this spell and use it as reference for Ishant's wrist position and follow through. He has to stop looking to bowl those leg cutters - he was not getting wickets with them anyway!
Agree.His spell after that over was simply outstanding.He always asked questions to Clarke, after the first ball, that got steep bounce, jumped off a length, that created doubt in Clarke's mind, and after that Ishant just didn't do a thing wrong.
Pretty much but calls like giving super over to Ashwin was an obvious bad call. Going with Ishant today worked but the match wasnt on line, so it doesnt have that big of a risk as opposed to say giving joginder sharma the last over in the T20 cup final, which also worked. There are also plenty of times that such calls doesnt work out as well. As much as some of his calls worked, he is also the one who kept Rohit sharma, Jadeja and Karthik in the team for so long.
You say that with the benefit of having seen Ashwin carted all over the park in that over. I am going to say it was a wise decision per se, but I am definitely am amused by people who talk with the benefit of hindsight.
You say that with the benefit of having seen Ashwin carted all over the park in that over. I am going to say it was a wise decision per se' date=' but I am definitely am amused by people who talk with the benefit of hindsight.[/quote'] No..if you track down the match thread, i said it was a bad call even before he started bowling. Murali had 2/17 in 4 overs and Ashwin had 1/36 from 4. It was obvious who should have bowled.
No..if you track down the match thread' date=' i said it was a bad call even before he started bowling. Murali had 2/17 in 4 overs and Ashwin had 1/36 from 4. It was obvious who should have bowled.[/quote'] If that was the case, then yes, I respect your opinion.
You say that with the benefit of having seen Ashwin carted all over the park in that over. I am going to say it was a wise decision per se' date=' but I am definitely am amused by people who talk with the benefit of hindsight.[/quote'] a. It has been proved over and over that bowling a spinner at death/super overs results in=> :fail: ala Saeed Ajmal/Ajanta Mendis/Murali. b. They had a veteran like Murali even if they chose to go ahead with the super over. Why Ashwin? Dhoni had other choices + Ashwin didn't bowl that well in that particular match.
I would call it a masterstroke if he does over a consistent period. He makes some bizzare decisions every now and then but comes with something like this so that all his previous **** ups are forgotten. But yeah, thats the way it works. BTW this thread reminds me of: http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?t=71493
I think everyone does make mistake. But Dhoni does tend to make some decisions which are always out of the box and which tend to attract a lot of debating. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. But atleast he doesn't go by the straightjacketed norms of captaincy and IMO this is what makes him a good leader.

It wasn't an inspired move tbh. It seemed more of a last throw of the dice when nothing else is working. Coupled with the fact that he himself amy have been having a hard time keeping to the spinners. Thankfully it worked. Now that India is back in contention, would love to see what he does to ram home the advantage.