India need to groom more bowlers: Dhoni

fineleg

List of bowlers who were either waylaid by injuries or no proper development by BCCI! 1. L. Balaji (very good swing bowler) 2. A. Nehra (Tests) (Excellent speed and swing) 3. Irfan Pathan (fantastic swing bowler) 4. RP Singh (Excellent speed and swing) 5. Munaf Patel (was in 140k at the beginning) 6. Agarkar (yes, Sir Aggy was promising, but I think he didnt get the training by BCCI support and coaching) -------------- 6. Ishant Sharma (hopefully will regain before SA tour) 7. Sreesanth (hopefully will regain before SA tour) Any others? I wont list VRV singh since he was not that good. Will BCCI at least ensure that the new set of pacers (and spinners) get the right fitness training, skills training and development? Ridiculous that we get so many good bowlers and then waste them!

India need to groom more bowlers: Dhoni More... India need to groom more bowlers: Dhoni PTI, Oct 13, 2010, BANGALORE: Skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni on Wednesday lauded his bowling unit for playing a pivotal role in India's 2-0 series win over Australia, but said India need to groom more bowlers, especially pacers, since performing consistently was not easy in international cricket. India have rested key bowlers like paceman Zaheer Khan and spinner Harbhajan Singh for the upcoming One-day series. Virender Sehwag, Gautam Gambhir and Ishant Sharma are also not part of the squad since they are nursing injuries. "I am not playing with key players since we need to give them rest. We need to groom bowlers. We have four or five good fast bowlers and three spinners who have been consistently performing. "We need to rotate. It is also difficult for the fast bowlers to perform well in each and every match in India. There is lot of pressure on the fast bowlers," Dhoni said. Dhoni said his bowlers forced a result in Bangalore where pitch was not offering much. "The efforts put up by our players especially the bowlers was really outstanding because by losing the toss I was not helping them out. In the first innings we were not able to get any kind of reverse swing going as the wicket was not so dry. "If you see the result, I think it was not a wicket where you can get a finish in four and half days. It was not a turning track where our spinners can take wickets. "Therefore I thought the efforts put in by the bowlers were good and the part time bowlers also contributed well. Of course, the batsmen have always done well for us," he said. The India skipper said the youngsters should grab the opportunity in the ODI series and get a taste of international cricket. "The rivals are two top teams in world cricket. We are hoping that it will be interesting. Both the teams are not fielding their best elevens. Australia have rested about six to seven players. "The youngsters are our bench strength and they get chance to prove themselves. They will also get to know how tough international cricket is and learn the areas that they need to improve. I think it will be a good series," he said. India have included young batsman Shikhar Dhawan apart from newcomers Murali Vijay and R Vinay Kumar for the ODI series, beginning October 17 in Kochi. The clean sweep, after the seven-wicket win, is India's first against Australia, but Dhoni refused to be drawn into debate whether it was India's best win.