What is Dhoni's contribution to the team?

nballa

Dhoni has been in average form with the bat but he still keeps very well and does a great job managing the team. Should he improve? Sure. But the FACT is that if you drop him and give the captaincy to anyone else their batting will immediately suffer. Happens to almost every captain out there. Top teams have one thing in common. They are consistent with their processes which includes captains, coaches, managers etc. The last thing we need is to cause any disruption to a test team that's one series win away from being one of the best Indian sides of all time.

He's the best wicketkeeping batsman around
Did you mean internationally? If so, u forget M.Boucher and B.Mccullum (though G.Hopkins sometimes covers for the latter these days). While Prasanna Jayawardane is a superb keeper, I'm not sure if his batting has been tested in different conditions yet. Though among Indian players - given that PaPa, KKD and W.Saha are the backups - MSD will easily beat them.
Did you mean internationally? If so' date=' u forget [b']M.Boucher and B.Mccullum (though G.Hopkins sometimes covers for the latter these days). While Prasanna Jayawardane is a superb keeper, I'm not sure if his batting has been tested in different conditions yet. Though among Indian players - given that PaPa, KKD and W.Saha are the backups - MSD will easily beat them.
MSD pwns McCullum (except in tontee tontee kirkut). Boucher, I'll give you that, he's a very good WKB. Prasanna Jayawardane :hysterical:

Dhoni's keeping isn't that bad. Did you guys see that low catch he took off Sreesanth's bowling? And his stumpings have for most part been fine. I donno why people are biatching about his keeping so much. My issue with Dhoni has been in T20s with his (tuk-tuk) batting and captaincy there. He has been fine in tests and ODIs both as a keeper and captain with an odd lapse here and there.

Dhoni's keeping isn't that bad. Did you guys see that low catch he took off Sreesanth's bowling? And his stumpings have for most part been fine. I donno people are biatching about his keeping so much.
But he's dropping quite a few nowadays, dropped some dollies in the first test. He compensated for them in the second test though.
Dhoni's keeping isn't that bad. Did you guys see that low catch he took off Sreesanth's bowling? And his stumpings have for most part been fine. I donno why people are biatching about his keeping so much. My issue with Dhoni has been in T20s with his (tuk-tuk) batting and captaincy there. He has been fine in tests and ODIs both as a keeper and captain with an odd lapse here and there.
Regarding T20! It is very weird that Dhoni is doing so much tuk-tuk even when the situation demands he hits a few big shots. This is the guy who did this for heavensake! What happened to the Big Gun that he used to bring to the field?? He has immense power, timing and shots. Maybe bad back is hurting him. Else he can and should be able to unleash those big shots! FLsVvAP40Sc
I am looking for a supremely talented keeper/batsman. the likes of boucher/gilchrist etc. i'm sure we can find one. i dont want someone who is a good keeper and who can't bat or vice versa.
how about a good keeper who CAN bat and who CAN captain the team to a ton of wins, may that interest you? :hysterical:

Dhoni binds the team together - a bridge between the seniors and the youngsters. That is his biggest contribution. He can easily bat purely as a batsman in the shorter versions of the game and can move himself up the order. In the longer version of the game, the wicketkeeper needs to be fully fit and needs full concentration and I think Dhoni's workload both physically and mentally is quite immense. Next time, try mimicking his movements as a keeper for one session and you'll see what I'm talking about. Plus, he's had back injuries and finger injuries on top of this as well. Batting at #7 is also difficult, and he has done a reasonable job. He could do better and I think he does have the potential. As for his tactical display as a captain, that is debatable.

how about a good keeper who CAN bat and who CAN captain the team to a ton of wins' date=' may that interest you? :hysterical:[/quote'] captaincy is overrated. anyone can captain a team full of match winners to a victory. that's why they are called match winners. all we need is a guy who understands the game, makes decent bowling changes, field placements and decisions and the wins will automatically present themselves to you.
Dhoni binds the team together - a bridge between the seniors and the youngsters. That is his biggest contribution. He can easily bat purely as a batsman in the shorter versions of the game and can move himself up the order. In the longer version of the game, the wicketkeeper needs to be fully fit and needs full concentration and I think Dhoni's workload both physically and mentally is quite immense. Next time, try mimicking his movements as a keeper for one session and you'll see what I'm talking about. Plus, he's had back injuries and finger injuries on top of this as well. Batting at #7 is also difficult, and he has done a reasonable job. He could do better and I think he does have the potential. As for his tactical display as a captain, that is debatable.
Sums it up nicely!
Good post :two_thumbs_up:
I am looking for a supremely talented keeper/batsman. the likes of boucher/gilchrist etc. i'm sure we can find one. i dont want someone who is a good keeper and who can't bat or vice versa.
gilchrist is the greatest keeper bat of all time. u wont find one no matter how hard u look boucher? :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: dhoni is waay better than boucher. not even close.
gilchrist is the greatest keeper bat of all time. u wont find one no matter how hard u look boucher? dhoni is waay better than boucher. not even close.
MP, At the end of his career, perhaps MSD has a chance to overtake boucher - we dont know that. But as it stands now, Boucher is superior to MSD as a wicketkeeper-bat.

To me Dhoni is a good ODI batsman, the way he applies himself at the crease and doesn't give his wicket away.He is the one around which our team revolves, and he has been successful in the ODis so far.He has also lead India to glory with some match winning performances in the ODIs.Since you are pointing on the Test records, let me tell you one thing, he came in the team just as a keeper who can bat a little.TBH Boucher isn't a great batter anyways, its just his great keeping skills that keeps him in the team, also the fact that there is no near replacement for Boucher as a wicket keeper batsman in S.Africa as of now. Talking about Dhoni's keeping skills, he is decent keeper, although not as agile as Boucher, or as quick as Mcullum, but surely he isn't the one with the worst techniques.He has had his share of injuries, especially the Back injury, which has troubled his reflexes, and bending, staying down on the slow low tracks.having said that, he hasn't done too bad in the recent past.No one is perfect, FYKI and even Boucher has dropped Dollies, so stop making statements with just a couple of missed opportunities in the series gone by. Coming to his status as a "Tests Batsman".He has not got too many opportunities to bat, up the order, due to our Star studded batting line up, featuring Veeru, Gambhir, RD, SRT and so on.So you really can't get ahead of no.7 slot.And even in the limited opportunities he gets, he has scored decently.Although many of his innings have not been match winning, but surely that doesn't mean that he hasn't contributed anything.His 50 v/s Aus at Nagpur in 08 series, His match saving 74* against Eng at Lord's(although rain saved India, but still he did stick out there).So i have no questions about his place as a Wicket Keeper batsman. And Finally coming to see his captaincy skills, Dude, there isn't a hard and fast rule book for a captain to read and apply.Its on basis of your own personal judgement how you are dealing with such a responsibility.He has been taking some really shocking decisions, which may not look pretty in the context of the game, but really the outcomes have been in his favour, so he is one shrewd captain for sure, who go by his instincts, keeps things simple and not panic much.he surely is one "Cool kaptaan" nballa i have tried my best to convince you, but jackass as you are, i am sure you wont get an inch and will come back again and post some BS, when MSD fails to score a 50 in the NZ series.