Beckham coming to america...

yoda

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/soccer/01/11/beckham.mls/index.html?cnn=yes LONDON (AP) -- David Beckham agreed to a five-year deal with the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer, leaving the Real Madrid club at which he enjoyed worldwide popularity but experienced disappointment on the field. Beckham, the former English captain who also starred for Manchester United, will join the Galaxy after his contract with Real Madrid expires on June 30. Los Angeles opens its season April 8 in Houston. "I am proud to have played for two of the biggest clubs in football and I look forward to the new challenge of growing the world's most popular game in a country that is as passionate about its sport as my own," he said in a statement released Thursday. The move was announced following the end of talks on extending the 31-year-old English midfielder's contract with the Spanish club. MLS recently changed its rules on salary caps, clearing the way for Beckham to sign a lucrative deal. British news reports put the Galaxy deal at $250 million. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 250 million - WTF?

Re: Beckham coming to america... thats what hes getting paid over a 5 yr contract i believe. he has effectively retired from serious football. hope he enjoys his time at LA. The man was a very good footballer and dedicated pro.

Re: Beckham coming to america... Despite the crap he says, he's there for 2 reasons: 1. Bag loads of money was offered... 2. He's old, and not good enough to play anywhere else anymore. The standard of football is so poor in the US, they don't even call it by it's proper name ('hey dude, let's watch Beckham play saawwker'). Like Japan and the middle east, the US is a rest home for has beens who want to play where they can't be shown up as rubbish... At the end of the day he had his best days at my beloved Man Utd, and when we sold him, I wasn't bothered, because we made ?25m from a player we payed nothing for, and then got the best years out of. He won nothing after leaving Man Utd... If football was going to take off in the States, it would have done so when Pele and George Best graced their leagues, so Beckham, as ever, is being a naive, but pompous, retard if he believes what he's telling the media...

Re: Beckham coming to america... Beckham does have a larger profile then either of those guys, and more importantly so does 'soccer' ...im sure his presence there will help the American game. And everyone knows this is now Semi retirement for Becks...not a bad way to spend it though...70k a DAY it works out to I read somewhere...and not half bad for a 'retard'...hehe

Re: Beckham coming to america... The US isn't that good in soccer/football cause most of the top talent is gone to other sports like basketball, american football and baseball. It is not that the US is at the bottom of the medals list in Olympics. But the interest to get better is always there. And Beckham will get some fan interest back to the game, which in turn will help more people turning to soccer/football as a sport to play, etc. Overall it has to be positive for US soccer/football. But I find the money to be insane.

Re: Beckham coming to america... ^ They did, but that says a lot more about them than it does about him. No one sees him or saw him as a great...but as what he was - very good. At his peak, the best crosser of the ball in the world and tireless worker.

Re: Beckham coming to america... The NY Cosmos were huge back in the 70's and Spiceboy could have the same effect as Pele and co. did. He isn't that good a player anymore, but he can draw in the crowds and is known here. I can't see a loser in this scenario, esp. since MLS are only paying 400k of the $250 mil deal.

A very over-rated player too' date=' and I used to say that when he played for us. He was part of a the legendary 1999 midfield quartet (Beckham, Keane, Scholes, Giggs), and each of the other 3 brought more to the team than he did...[/quote'] Rubbish. He is one of the best passers of a ball i've ever seen. Put a coin anywhere on the pitch and Spiceboy would land it right there. Keane was undoubtedly the better player but Scholes and Giggs were no more valuable to the team than Spiceboy. Anyway, it's nice of him to come to the US. Because of him, I might even go down to Red Bulls stadium when the Galaxy come to NY this season