Why cant there be another Bradman again??

dial_100

But batting techniques have improved also over time. Are you saying they have not improved enough to counter the improved bowling?
So what do you think of this game. You think these guys have not improved in their batting??? How often have you seen such collapse in the modern days?? So the batting has certainly not improved as much. Has it?? [ame=
[/ame] Or this one here... How many times you think those bowlers in 30s would walk up to the batsman (Any. I am not saying just to DGB) and intimidae him or piss him off like this..The modern bowlers like, Ambrose, Akhtar, Akram would some time do that and scare the hell out of you.. [ame=
[/ame]

^^Actually the first clip showed some pretty poor batting even taking into account the excellent bowling. Lots of poking around the off stump, easy slip catches. Few of the wickets were of top class deliveries, many of the others however look playable, IMO. Regarding the second clip and the intimidation factor, that is all part of the new culture. Modern batsmen are expected to train themselves to ignore that BS and get on with their batting.

^^Actually the first clip showed some pretty poor batting even taking into account the excellent bowling. Lots of poking around the off stump, easy slip catches. Few of the wickets were of top class deliveries, many of the others however look playable, IMO. Regarding the second clip and the intimidation factor, that is all part of the new culture. Modern batsmen are expected to train themselves to ignore that BS and get on with their batting.
Come on Yoda....everybody is under pressure when situation is like this. You think best batsman against bouncers would do any better than any other you thought. According to me Viv was the best to play hook shot. Check out how Denise Lillee messed up with him with 4 bouncers...and then a good length ball to get him out bowled. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOh-BNyAM_Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOh-BNyAM_Q[/ame] Btw, I am sure you have heard the term perfect WACA length bowling... haven't you?? Thats the pitch. You are 125-130KPH, not great 140+, bowler. Pitch it on the right spot and you will end up with 3-4 wkts w/o problem on WACA. We all know that. Dont we??
^ That was top class. Nice setup. As great a player as Viv was' date=' he was flashy and seemed like had the need to dominate. May be why his test average isn't as high as it should have been.[/quote'] But that is the point. Would it ever be possible to achieve even beyond average of 60 in this time and age when things are so competitive??
I guess Bradman did not have any kids or siblings...Sad to see there won't be another bradman again
He did actually have three kids. "Their first-born son died as an infant in 1936, their second son, John (born in 1939) contracted polio, and their daughter, Shirley, born in 1941, had cerebral palsy since her birth. His family name proved a burden for John Bradman; he changed his last name to Bradsen by deed poll in 1972. Although claims were made that he became estranged from his father, it was more a matter of "the pair inhabit[ing] different worlds." Apparently he changed his name back to Bradman later in life.

If in 1930s bowling was weaker it was weak for all of DGB's peers. Yet the Don shone like no other batsman did at that time. It was clear who was #1 and the distance between Don and the next best was more more than daylight. Why is it that no one has had that much distance between himself and the second best nowadays? That brilliance among peers (of his era) is what has totally set Don apart as one of the greatest of the greats of cricket. If something is easy or difficult, it is same for your peers. Can you outshine them BIG! time? Don did.

Yes i agree with many of your points BossBhai, i do think that playing a quality fast bowler/spinner do affect, because you know the ball will be a wicket taking one more often than not, unlike an "ordinary" bowler who will give some boundary balls to relieve the pressure off the batsman.So quality bowling does makes it harder for the batsman as they have play either a defnsive stroke to a good ball, or play an even better shot to get the desired result. On the other hand, Different countries off er different conditions, different pitches and also the entire climatic pattern is different when one goes from WI to NZ or any other country.So it does affect the batting, even the seaming conditions in England makes you to avoid certain shots that you would have played on Sub-Continental tracks.So it does add some more caution in the batting, it just examines the quality of the batsman of how can he adapt to different condition, and how he adjust his batting style and technique according to the conditions.So it also makes batting a tad difficult. The quality of fielding standards make a huge difference especially in Limited Overs Cricket, when a batsman plays a good stroke, and a fielder stops that ball with a diving effort, a brilliant stop, and saves a boundary for the side, the morale of the bowler is lifted while batsman feels a lil dissapointed that even after playing a perfect stroke in the gap, he is debarred from getting a boundary due to an extraordinary fielding effort.This is always in the back of the mind of batsman, and may force him to change the shot, perhaps play it much finer or squarer, depending on the ball he gets. Reverse Swing is a little difficult to handle as the ball moves in late and it takes a very good eye and hand cordination to combat it.A batsman into the shot early cant handle reverse swing where as a batsman who plays his stroke a lil late, finds it more easy to play reverse swing as he watches the deflection of the ball after pitching in front of him. But i dont agree with the Umpire's point.Its notalways that you see umpires giving decision in favour of the bowler, and if he is out, he definitely should be given out, and many times you see that plumb LBW decisions go unnoticed by the umpires and they turn down the appeal.And i also dont agree with the change of Formats, for me, a good batsman of Inernatinal standard must adapt to every format he plays, he must not any other format take over his batting style, See Sachin,gambhir for example, he plays all the three formats, and he plays them quite beautifully, and he adapts to the formats pretty well. So all in all, many of your highlighted points are possibly affecting the batting trend but some of it dont really affect it much. http://indiancricketfans.com/showpost.php?p=1005649&postcount=14

Come on Yoda....everybody is under pressure when situation is like this. You think best batsman against bouncers would do any better than any other you thought. According to me Viv was the best to play hook shot. Check out how Denise Lillee messed up with him with 4 bouncers...and then a good length ball to get him out bowled.
Btw, I am sure you have heard the term perfect WACA length bowling... haven't you?? Thats the pitch. You are 125-130KPH, not great 140+, bowler. Pitch it on the right spot and you will end up with 3-4 wkts w/o problem on WACA. We all know that. Dont we??
Yes for every one of those innings Viv used to batter the bowlers in 3-4 innings. Actually there could be a seperate thread for every comparison. Sachin V/s Richards. Sachin V/s Sobers. Sachin V/s Pollock etc etc.
Yes for every one of those innings Viv used to batter the bowlers in 3-4 innings. Actually there could be a seperate thread for every comparison. Sachin V/s Richards. Sachin V/s Sobers. Sachin V/s Pollock etc etc.
Yeah Battering... I dont know friend what are you talking about. I was talking about WACA where even 125K can create havoc a given day. So what if you are Viv, you lose your wicket to a tactical bowling...where does question of comparison come in here...My point was with such wicket how can you maintain the average of 100?? There are many pitches in sub continent where 5 day wicket is terrible and it is hard to score 150 total runs on that day..How can we expect someone to score at average of 100. Well I know there are times when even Anil Kumble scores a century. So who cares if Viv use to batter 3-4 times for every failure. He ended up with only avg of 50+. Point was not to show Viv's failure here.

Why can't there be another Bradman? Rather, the question should be when will there be another Bradman. For sooner or later, like any other contemporary sport there will be a batsman/bowler who will simply tower above the competition. It might not happen tomorrow and perhaps not for another 20 years, but if Test cricket survives there will be another batsman who is going to average 70-75 when his top competition is in the 50s range or a bowler who is going to average 15 when his competition is around the 20 range. If test cricket continues, I see no reason why a supremely exceptional talent like Bradman will not be replicated in the modern context.

BTW, BB, I know you don't follow other sport much, but how do you account for a guy like Michael Jordan winning the scoring title 10 out of his 12 years in the NBA, all in the modern era? Even in the current world of competitive sport, it is possible for one person (or a few) to tower above the others.