Federer breaks Connors' record of consecutive weeks at No. 1

yoda

Re: Federer breaks Connors' record of consecutive weeks at No. 1 ...Mats Wilander, Jonas Bjorkman, Magnus Norman, Thomas Enqvist? Wilander was a boy genius. Won the French open at 17, I think, a record that was later broken by Becker. Won no less than 7 grand slams (the same as Edberg), beating the remarkable Lendl in three of them.

Re: Federer breaks Connors' record of consecutive weeks at No. 1 yawwwwnn one more record then. yes hes a genius, but I cant say I like him much...he needs a rival. Players as good as him are rare, but the tennis world desperately needs someone better than the A Rods, Davydenkos, etc as challengers. The Sampras era had soo much more competition that way Rafter, Ivanisevic, Agassi, Becker...way better than most of the current top 10 Desperately needs Safin at his best. Nadal isnt in great form, but he'll be back. Give Andy Murray a few years - i hate the cocky S.O.B but hes a class player- he will be a serious challenger

Re: Federer breaks Connors' record of consecutive weeks at No. 1 Agree soods. Sampras had Becker,Edberg(for a while),Chang,Goran,Rafter,Courier and Agassi. Plus he had the entire Spanish Armada to deal with at the French Open. Fed has no one. Well maybe Safin but he's injured half the time. Nadal is probably his real rival.

Re: Federer breaks Connors' record of consecutive weeks at No. 1 yep, very poor competition for federer now. roddick was supposed to be the real deal after his own US open win, but has faltered since and failed to take it to the next level. safin has never been consistent himself. nadal is good, but needs to win a big one outside of clay. but it is quite possible federer is making his competition look rather poor. sampras did that in grand slams for a while slapping even agassi in straight sets once.

Re: Federer breaks Connors' record of consecutive weeks at No. 1 Roddick had a brief blip last year- since then he has improved cr@p loads...he has a back hand! can volley(ish), the return of serve is good. The problem is Fed is improving too. had Fed not been around, Roddick would have won a lot...in many ways that is worse- lets face it Roddick is good but not GREAT. Worse still if not for Federer Hewitt would have dominated the mens game for a few more years- and THAT would have terrible. I am a big A Rod fan, and do hope he wins at least one Wimbledon or US Open- beating Fed on the way- but it will not happen...not unless Fed is injured...

Re: Federer breaks Connors' record of consecutive weeks at No. 1 Roddick will never be a good player in my books. Back when he won the US open, i thought he was a flukester. Why ? Because the guy has zero brains. His gameplan is very simple : huge serve, huge forehand and huge backhand. You hit the ball back to him and he will hit it back harder. Return it and it comes back even harder. Until he finally overpowers you or makes a mistake. That kind of no-skill all-power game will get annihilated by someone like Federer or Nadal. And most of the time Roddick gets owned by Federer because Federer can control the points at will because all Roddick wants to do is hit a huge return and end the point. A-rod is also a very poor reader of the game. Ie, if you are not troubled by his pace ( such as Federer or Nadal) and return his stroke with an equally well hit one of your's, A-rod is clueless. So far, Safin would be the best challenge for Federer, Nadal is excellent on clay, Murray is a good hope for the future as is Gael Monfils. Federer i think will win 5 grand slams in the next 2 years and then maybe 4-5 more for the rest of his career to end up with 20-ish slams. Bradman of tennis has arrived. Maybe like Bradman on wet wicket, clay will remain elusive for Federer ?