Anand scales to No 1 after victory

yoda

Brilliant. What an accomplishment! -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Viswanathan Anand capped a wonderful fortnight with not just the title at the Morelia-Linares Super Grandmasters chess tournament but also ensured that he would be listed world number one in the ratings to be released in April. It marked the first time in a decade that Anand, who has been in world's top-3 for last 15 years, that he will officially be rated as No. 1 in the world. He won the World Championships in 2000, but Garry Kasparov was world No.1 then. http://ia.rediff.com/sports/2007/mar/11chess.htm

Re: Anand scales to No 1 after victory Yods, 3 move-4 move finishes are known as Gambits. They are easy to avoid/couterract if you can recognise the pattern (which is usually after move #2). So no, nomatter how good a chess player you are, be it the new numero uno Anand or the best chess player in history ( Kasparov), you ain't beating even a decent quality amatuer player in 3-4 moves. It'd probably be 10 moves till you realize he has too much advantage and quit or 15 moves to checkmate kind of deal. Kudos to Anand though! one of my favourite passtimes is chess.

Re: Anand scales to No 1 after victory

CC , why do you think Garry Kasparov is the best chess player in history . Many consider Bobby Fisher to be the best ever.
Fisher i think gets sensationalized because of his extraordinary story ( came in from nowhere, beat the champ, disappeared for years, came out and beat the champ again and then disappeared again) but i think Kasparov is the best ever. Not only has Kasparov defeated a lot more super chess players like Karpov, Anand, Short, Kramnik, etc. and he just had the Federer-esque consistency. In tennis terms, Fisher was McEnroe and Kasparov is Sampras/Federer/Laver.

Re: Anand scales to No 1 after victory Short was overrated IMO- best brit of the last century no doubt but not absolute top-notch. Fisher i think would've had problem with Anand- Fisher did not like playing players who could play with tremendous speed and Anand's forte is speed.

Yods, 3 move-4 move finishes are known as Gambits. They are easy to avoid/couterract if you can recognise the pattern (which is usually after move #2). So no, nomatter how good a chess player you are, be it the new numero uno Anand or the best chess player in history ( Kasparov), you ain't beating even a decent quality amatuer player in 3-4 moves. It'd probably be 10 moves till you realize he has too much advantage and quit or 15 moves to checkmate kind of deal. Kudos to Anand though! one of my favourite passtimes is chess.
shortest recorded chess traps: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Lab/7378/traps.htm

Re: Anand scales to No 1 after victory man i have followed this bloke's career rather closely and when he lost 8.5-5.5 to kasprov in 1996 i was heart broken. infact the way he lost made me feel that anand was a broken man and he might never recover form the onslaught. but the guy is tuff as bones! he came back and though this no.1 achievement had to wait till kasprov retired, a feather in the cap is a feather in the cap!

Kudos to Anand.:wtg: CC , why do you think Garry Kasparov is the best chess player in history . Many consider Bobby Fisher to be the best ever.
ha ha ha ha ha dude i m sorry to trivialize your post as such, but if you think that bobby fisher or anyone who thinks that nut is the best ever needs to have his head screwed on correct. bobby fisher aint got sh*t on garry kasprov. king kong aint got sh*t on garry kasprov. pardon my french.

man i have followed this bloke's career rather closely and when he lost 8.5-5.5 to kasprov in 1996 i was heart broken.
I too was heartbroken and followed that series back then (i was living in Kolkata) quite keenly. That series is basically what 're-ignited' my interest in chess, as i had played chess as a 8 year old but i hadnt played it much after i was 10 years old. Anand was quite young back then too i think...mid 20s while Kasparov was in his mid 30s i think. Anand played brilliantly...but lost out to the far far more experienced Kasparov that time. Anand though, is the world's finest Rapid Chess and Advanced Chess player.