'Tendulkar better than Bradman' : Zaheer Abbas

Guest prince

KARACHI: Pakistan's famous Test batsman Zaheer Abbas rates Sachin Tendulkar higher than Don Bradman and believes that the Indian master is the greatest batsman of all time. "People keep calling him the greatest," said Zaheer referring to Bradman, the Aussie legend. "I never saw him (Bradman) bat but I know, somehow, that he couldn't have been better than Tendulkar. This boy has certainly gone a step ahead of the Don," Zaheer said. "Tendulkar is so good and so lucky to be born at just the right time. It's a great combination." Zaheer believes that Pakistan's erratic batsmen should learn a thing or two from Tendulkar. "Just look at that guy; I mean he has been playing for 21 years, has scored thousands of runs, dozens of centuries but is still as hungry for more as a debutant. It's such an inspiring sight to see him go out there and still bat like he batted as a teenager. Our batsmen should learn from him," he said. Many critics fear that Pakistan's batting is a lost cause. They believe there are too many technical faults and temperament-related problems. But Zaheer doesn't buy it. "It's actually much simpler," he added. "It's about taking responsibility. They have to take responsibility. They have to stay on the wicket. That's the key and if they feel responsible they will learn how to do that. They will stop going for shortcuts." Zaheer had great expectations from Umar Akmal but is disappointed that the gifted youngster is making little use of his talent. "Each time he goes out there it seems that Umar Akmal wants to break the cricket ball into pieces by hitting it hard. Somebody should tell him that it's not about how hard you hit it but for how long you can keep hitting it. It's really sad that he is not using his talent properly," he said. Like his compatriots, Zaheer is troubled by the non-stop slump in Pakistan cricket. "The state of our cricket really bothers me. Nothing is going right for us." Zaheer wants the country's cricket chiefs to work on improving the existing cricketing structure at home and ties with the ICC and other cricket boards abroad. "Our cricket board needs to get its act together. It has to work on its PR. You cannot have a board chairman act like a loose cannon," said Zaheer referring to Pakistan Cricket Board ( PCB) chairman Ijaz Butt's controversial comments over England players' alleged involvement in match-fixing. Read more: Tendulkar greatest batsman of all time: Zaheer Abbas - The Times of India http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/top-stories/Tendulkar-greatest-batsman-of-all-time-Zaheer-Abbas/articleshow/6884475.cms#ixzz14dPIXi8C http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/top-stories/Tendulkar-greatest-batsman-of-all-time-Zaheer-Abbas/articleshow/6884475.cms
:two_thumbs_up:

Well, the chorus that will eventually change the History of Test Cricket for when our next few generations come to this world, is getting louder by the day. First it was an English journalist, as early as Jan 1990, who declared “Gentlemen, he is the best batsman I have seen in my life.” A pause later: “And unlike most of you, I have seen Bradman.” The soothsayer was John Woodcock. Then there was Richie Benaud who, very cunningly, echoed the sentiment. Then it was the turn of Sir Richard Hadlee who played against the boy in 1989-90. Then it was another NZ'er John Wright who made the case that Sachin cannot be lower than Bradman. Then sundry others including you and me. And now it is that India-annoying cavalier batsman, Zaheer Abbas!

Well, the chorus that will eventually change the History of Test Cricket for when our next few generations come to this world, is getting louder by the day. First it was an English journalist, as early as Jan 1990, who declared “Gentlemen, he is the best batsman I have seen in my life.†A pause later: “And unlike most of you, I have seen Bradman.†The soothsayer was John Woodcock. Then there was Richie Benaud who, very cunningly, echoed the sentiment. Then it was the turn of Sir Richard Hadlee who played against the boy in 1989-90. Then it was another NZ'er John Wright who made the case that Sachin cannot be lower than Bradman. Then sundry others including you and me. And now it is that India-annoying cavalier batsman, Zaheer Abbas!
Some other well-known names who made similar statements are Sir Vivian Richards and Nasser Hussain.
Some other well-known names who made similar statements are Sir Vivian Richards and Nasser Hussain.
Oh ya? Seriously? Viv said it? the guy who claimed batting with helmets on is inferior to batting without a helmet said a guy who wore a helmet in his entire career is better than a guy who never wore a helmet in his entire career? :winky:

For F@#k sakes, will this comparison ever end!! Jeez!! Tendulkar is one of the best batsmen today, but to compare him to Bradman is plain and simple stupid!! They played in different eras and different situation. I think, its a ploy ex players use to get their 15 minutes of fame to talk about Tendulkar and Bradman and blah blah.

For F@#k sakes' date=' will this comparison ever end!! Jeez!! Tendulkar is one of the best batsmen today, but to compare him to Bradman is plain and simple stupid!! They played in different eras and different situation. I think, its a ploy ex players use to get their 15 minutes of fame to talk about Tendulkar and Bradman and blah blah.[/quote']There is a thread started to question the assumption that Bradman is greater than modern guys based on facts ONLY. If you are interested you can present the facts about Bradman's greatness over modern bats that you know. Also, you will notice that thread is mostly progressing on the basis of logical arguments backed by factual info. In case you are interested in an open minded debate on this topic, pls join in there. We are already done with the first parameter and the discussion for the second parameter has kinda started...maybe a new thread for the 2nd parameter will be spawned. And ffs, claiming stupidity of others is even more more stupid especially when there are no factual basis for it. Hope to see you in that thread soon to test the stupidity of these Bradman non-worshippers, and hopefully you will also refrain from 'ffs followed with claims of stupidity in the air'
Well, the chorus that will eventually change the History of Test Cricket for when our next few generations come to this world, is getting louder by the day. First it was an English journalist, as early as Jan 1990, who declared “Gentlemen, he is the best batsman I have seen in my life.” A pause later: “And unlike most of you, I have seen Bradman.” The soothsayer was John Woodcock. Then there was Richie Benaud who, very cunningly, echoed the sentiment. Then it was the turn of Sir Richard Hadlee who played against the boy in 1989-90. Then it was another NZ'er John Wright who made the case that Sachin cannot be lower than Bradman. Then sundry others including you and me. And now it is that India-annoying cavalier batsman, Zaheer Abbas!
You forgot amits. The man singlehandedly converted more guys than anyone else.
Abbas joins Viv Richards in saying Sachin better then Bradman. The tide is turning and people seeing the light. :--D
I don't think Viv Richards said that Sachin is AT greatest batsman. He termed him as the all time greatest cricketer, which doesn't necessarily equate to being the all time greatest batsman. Sir Donald Bradman, if I am not wrong, himself referred to Sir Gary Sobers as the all time greatest cricketer. If you take the amount of cricket that Sachin has played, he definitely is a contender of being amongst the all time greatest cricketer along with the likes of Bradman, Sobers, Warne, Murali, etc.

Btw, Richards also found a shade of him in Yuvraj Singh

Richards, whose fearless batting made him a top batsman in both Test and ODI formats, finds a shade of himself in Yuvraj Singh. "I see a lot of myself in Yuvraj Singh. His style of batting is distinctly 'Caribbean' and similar to that of mine during my playing years," the 58-year-old Antiguan said. Read more at: http://cricket.ndtv.com/storypage.aspx?id=SPOEN20100156402&nid=59300&cp