De La Hoya V Mayweather, May 5 2007

Dhondy

Anybody watching the grudge match between the 6-weight champion and the undefeated boxer, described as probably the best pound for pound pugilist in the world? The last time I coughed up for pay-per-view TV was in 2002, when Lennox Lewis destroyed Tyson, but I'll probably make an exception for this one.

Re: De La Hoya V Mayweather, May 5 2007 Lots of hype surrounding that match here. HBO have been doing a 4-part series previewing the game, the history of the two fighters and it's going to be huge. I'd fancy Floyd - he is a faster puncher, has the better defence and i don't see him being outboxed at any stage. Of course, De La Hoya has the judges on his side and a few good rounds will see him edge it in the end no matter what happens. If DLH lasts the distance, i can see Floyd losing it on the judges' cards. Bert Sugar does a nice analysis of the two here; http://www.hbo.com/boxing/events/2007/0505_delahoya_mayweather/columns/sugar_pre.html

Re: De La Hoya V Mayweather, May 5 2007

De La Hoya versus Mayweather live and free on Sky Sports 1. Coverage starts 2 AM. Bout starts 3:30. Sky rocks.
You are getting it for FREEEEE ?!?!?!? :eek::eek::eek: Here, its on HBO PPV ! I'll have to wait 'til tomorrow night to watch it on a re-run. Lucky b@stards !!

Re: De La Hoya V Mayweather, May 5 2007 Shame it wasn't a KO. Split decisions leave me cold. For a while, in rounds 2,3, and 4, it looked like I was going to get my wish. De La Hoya came out like a crazed bull, pinned Mayweather against the ropes, and went left-right-left-right with some blurringly fast body shots. Loved the intent. But Mayweather is a very good technical boxer, and has heart too. He soaked it all up and didn't panic. From the fifth onwards, he penetrated De La Hoya's defence regularly with probing jabs and logged up the points. De La Hoya ran out of steam in the last four, and the younger man hit the scoresheet with regularity. Maybe he deserved the win, but I wanted him to go for a KO, and it never happened. People are touting these two as boxing's saviours, but I am not too sure. I can't see a return fight generating the same amount of hoopla and cash.

Re: De La Hoya V Mayweather, May 5 2007 I thought it was a boring match to be honest. Caught the replay today, and i am RELIEVED that i didn't shell out the $54 to HBO PPV. De la Hoya came out swinging in the early stages, but Mayweather was fighting tactically and never looked like going for a knockout. I thoroughly dislike split decisions, and personally, i don't feel Mayweather even deserved the victory. De la Hoya was a shadow of himself, but at least he livened up the fight with some attractive combinations unlike the "pretty boy" who wasn't attractive at all. Crap match - the rematch (i doubt there will be one !) will interest nobody. I think boxing is dying a slow death, to be honest. Although it is thriving in the UK and Europe, in the United States all the boxing gyms are emptying out as kids gravitate towards basketball and football for safer livings and longer careers. Do you get UFC in the UK ? That is absolutely huge here and it's burgeoning popularity is forcing people to forget boxing. Boxing lacks the blood and gore of UFC and there is no charismatic American figure (ie; a Tyson) to revive it.