'Only Ponting can beat Tendulkar's record'

Andy

Sydney: Former Australian fast bowler Glen Mcgrath feels that Ricky Ponting can bounce back from a slump in form and also beat Sachin Tendulkar's record of maximum runs in Test cricket. "I always had a lot of faith in Ricky as a captain and a bloke. I would play under him any day of the week. I have still got total faith in him," McGrath was quoted as saying in The Daily Telegraph. "I always felt that Ricky would finish his Test career with the most runs of anyone in the history of the game. Sachin (Tendulkar) is probably a little bit out of reach at the moment but I have got total faith in Rick bouncing back," he said. Mcgrath is certainly disappointed with the Ashes defeat but is amazed at the severe criticism faced by the team that not so long ago was a dominant force in the world. "Growing up as a kid in Australia, playing cricket, the Ashes is always the big one. To play them here in Australia, and lose them, is pretty disappointing but you know what? It amazes me how, when Australia was so dominant, everyone was saying it was bad for world cricket. All of a sudden, the boys have lost a few games and everyone is calling for their heads." 2rickyponting2012_630.jpg The former Australian pace spearhead backed the home team to win the fifth Test in Sydney. "Like I said, it was not that long ago that Australian cricket was too strong and that was bad for world cricket. It goes in cycles. I have got total faith the boys will bounce back and get back to the top of the tree. We'll win here and it will be good to finish the series two-all," he said.
SAUCE :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

No wonder, crappy journalists give misleading headlines to their articles - people don't have the attention span to read the entire article to see if there is any truth in it and quickly pounce on to it and sensationalize it.

I always felt that Ricky would finish his Test career with the most runs of anyone in the history of the game. Sachin (Tendulkar) is probably a little bit out of reach at the moment but I have got total faith in Rick bouncing back
Ok. If Punter can come back from here and beat even ONE of the following records: Highest number of 100s in ODIs Highest number of 100s in Tests Highest runs in ODIs Highest runs in Tests then I will consider him to be the best batsman of last decade (2000-2010)
:stupid: Why would someone have to get all that to be considered as the best batsman of 2000 to 2009 (2010 would be the beginning of a new decade if you are counting from year 2000)? To be the best batsman of 2000-2009 period, you have to performed the best in that period, no?
Ok. If Punter can come back from here and beat even ONE of the following records: Highest number of 100s in ODIs Highest number of 100s in Tests Highest runs in ODIs Highest runs in Tests then I will consider him to be the best batsman of last decade (2000-2010)
Ponting is comfortably ahead of Sachin this decade.
Sachin fanatics need to cool down a bit.Yeah,Sachin is the best modern era batsman but Ponting was the player of the decade 2000s: TESTS Ponting-9458 runs,avg=58.38,32 100s Sachin-7129 runs,avg=53.20,21 100s
Would be interesting to see those numbers from 2000 to 2009 without BD and Zim. I won't be surprised if Sachin's avg falls further

It is like stating the obvious - but just in case McGrath happens to checkout this thread. As of today even Ponting himself would not dare make such a claim. Even if Sachin were to retire tomorrow and Ponting needs to play in top form for next 18-24 months. 2169 runs!!! Most likely both will retire around same time, or perhaps Sachin will play at least one year more than Ponting. That means Sachin might end up ahead by at least 3K runs.

Wanna start the age old debate again' date=' huh? :facepalm:[/quote'] You are quoting the wrong guy:
Doubt that' date=' and unfortunately "this decade" is not the only era in cricket.[/quote']